3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain Bikes for HUNTING....  (Read 7730 times)

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Bikes for HUNTING....
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Terry, whats the terrain like, flat, hilly, bumpy,that would make a difference in what you want. If there are access roads you can ride on, the suspension isnt needed, & you will get a smoother ride. One thing I like is a medium agressive tread tire. I ride a Jamis(mine is about 7-8 years old & made in USA) during turkey season & about 1/2 is thru fields & trails, & 1/2 on access roads. I found I didnt like the suspension system & did better with out. Go down to the bike store & ride a few to see what you like. Mike
Big Mike

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
I have a bright yeller Mongoose. Wonder if Big Jim can camo-dip it?  :)

I use mine to get into farms where I don't want people to know I am there except the landowner. It works great for those fellas who keep tabs on me to trespass on farms I am not hunting. I park at one farm and pedal a couple miles down the road to the next spot. Don't know if it works or not but it puts me into places that are hard to walk into. I always tell the landowners if they see my truck or a butt-ugly yellow mountain bike it's me and I'm hunting! Anything else then call the Warden  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought a 'Montana Scapboard'.

This is a device that attaches to the back wheel of the bike and carries your bow in an upright position.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I just bought a Mongoose, 24 speed, mountain bike with disc brakes, front and rear suspension, easy change gears, for less than 300 bucks from walmart.

Perfect

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
I am not advocating trailers, but...  If anyone of you find a bike trailer like this... call me!!!  

You could always do the   Ho Chi Minh trail special  and load the deer atop the bars set and rear rack.. or just quarter em out... Google it and see images... (many are on other boards.. and I don't think i can link to those...)

I wonder about this one    bow scabbard  

I usually just strap my bow to the outside of my pack or use a 3pc recurve...  I have seen guys attach med sized rubbermaid garbage cans to the rear racks of their bikes to throw their hunting/fishing gear into.... but can't find any pics... I want to use a milk crate over the front wheel, but need to do some engineering...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Terry,

my bike setup looks like Tree Killer's, I add a plastic milk crate to the backdeck for hauling gear...since I don't use a bowquiver, a pvc tube strapped to the frame and angled up to the rear holds my longbow well without tying up my handlebars.  There are pannier system available for some touring bike scenarios that might hold enough gear for hunting...

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Terry I got a Cannondale F5.  It is a good bike. Front shocks will lock out that way you decide what you need for the terrain you are on. No back shock.  I have a rack on the back.  Got mine from REI.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Mine is a Jamis Dakar, disc brakes, front shocks, rear compression fork, nobby tires.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/index.html

I have not added a rack, yet. Their is a maximum weight limit to most bikes, overloading could be lead to a crash. Standard brakes are unsafe in wet weather. Nobby tires with a tub might be an idea, to avoid flats. Shocks have limits. Cost is $500 under $1000. Cheaper won's last.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
I use my mountain bike to get into some areas and have found my rear suspension bike to not work as well as my non rear suspension bike. if you load the bike down to much in the rear you will have to change the rear suspension settings. Some of the lower priced bike won't have this adjustment or you will need tools to make adjustments....just more things to have to carry(and loose). If you plan on using a trailer it won't have any impact on the rear suspension. I would definitly get front suspension and go with the seat post suspension and a good quality seat. If you go with the gel seat make sure it has a durable cover...not the lycra cover. You can't go wrong with Giant, Cannondale, GT or Trek. You do get what you pay for....for alittle more you get better components. As for trailers...keep your eyes open at the goodwill and yard sales...my wife picked up my kiddie trail/deer hauler up at goodwill for $20.

Best bet is to tell your bike store what you are going to use it for an he can point you in the right direction.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned weight distribution and balance.  If you are carrying weight on a rack, it needs to be centered and secure, or you will find it difficult to ride. I would check some websites, and talk your bike shop. Try a few out if possible.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I used bikes for many yrs in Florida WMA's. I always just bought the cheap Walmart brand and ordered a shock absorber post from a bike shop. Bought the biggest widest seat I could find to go on top of the post. I later order the swept back handle bars cause I hated to have to lean over to reach the straight ones.

Those cheap bikes would last me about 2 yrs., but I lived in a tent in the woods and hunted from Sept. til Jan. and the bikes took a lot of abuse and water. Back then I could get one for about $50 so no big deal anyway. I would put a rack on the back to haul my tree stands and put deer and hogs on the seat and walk them out. The basket on front comes in handy to haul stuff too.

I could ride 7 miles through rough roads and cross creeks, hog root'n etc. carrying two climbers on back.

Carried my bow on handle bars with the u shaped racks. I also liked the women's style better. Much easier to get on and off when you stop. Especially if you have a tree stand on the back. Just made it a little more difficult to tie game to the bike.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:  Hog on the bike! Way cool!

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
LoL I think that Hogs name was Harley   :D
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
My dad rigged up a bike once. Ha we always joked about putting a field dressed deer over the seat then riding on top of the deer out of the woods. From a distance it would really look like you were riding the deer.
In all seriousness having a bike really helps out where atv's are not alllowed
"Relax and pick a spot"

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Good thread, I was just in a bike shop a few weeks ago, not knowing what I was doing. Looking forward to going back with better info.
Pics of your setup are great.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
I love the the hog on the bike... its perfect!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline sinistral

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Terry, a bike is the way to go. I have been hunting off a bike for a number of seasons. Sure it is work headin up hill, but the ride out is fast.
The best idea is to go talk with someone at a bike shop, get them to fit you on a bike. Once you know your frame size you can give those guys the business or start shopping around. Craigslist is great, yard sales etc.
I would suggest a steel frame bike, it maybe heavier but steel is real. It also is less expensive. Front suspension is a good idea but not a necessity. I would not buy a full suspension (F/S) bike. It is hard to mount a rear rack on, and the F/S will waste energy through frame and suspension flex.
Your idea of a rear cart or trailer is a great one. Look for a used burly child trailer. They are cheap used, and very common since kids grow and want to pedal themselves around.
Find a good bike and go for it.
PM if you would like and we can talk about more particular stuff like brakes and shifting components. Take care, Jeff

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
I ride a Giant that I bought off craigslist a couple years ago for $80 (new price was around $400). It has great gearing, shifts good and rigid suspension. I noticed a couple of you mentioning having to bend over to reach the handle bars. The bars are adjustable as well as the seat and you can get them setup where you have to bend over very little and be quite comfortable to setup and ride. Also your better bikes are made in different sizes ie. 16,17,18,19 or 20" measuring frame sizes and with the correct size for you body you can hone in you comfort adjustments alot easier.Don't confuse frame size with tire sizes like 24" or 26". As mentioned above a good large, well padded spring seat helps creature comfort and keeps away saddle sores, especially when the road or trail is rough.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline wapous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Hi
Have a look at this system. With it, you don't load the bike suspension.
 http://extrawheel.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©