3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain Bikes for HUNTING....  (Read 7731 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Bikes for HUNTING....
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Terry,

When I was looking into this a couple years ago, everyone told me to stay away from the rear suspension.  All it did was suck away pedal power when you need it most.  You are making a very smart move buying from a bike shop.  I ended up with a Specialized Hardrock Sport.  About the only non standard item it has is disc brakes.  These I like as they stay out of the mud more than the standard rim brakes.

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
I would suggest any of the high end bike companies entry level hardtail bikes, used or new.  Craigslist often has used giants and gary fischer bikes.  Specialized and treks too.  I would just look for one that fits and rides well.  With the higher end companies comes better frames and shifters.   Heck narrow your search and give us another shout, opinions are plentiful around here.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
Bet that was a real job getting the hog on the bike.
   :eek:
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
Entry level, I have a Specialized Hard Rock which I really like hardtail with front shocks and disc brakes if there is any chance of it being wet or muddy, especially if there is any hills. Make sure to get a good seat if you're going to be riding a long ways and sitting down, these you can get aftermarket quite easily.
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline DC

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
I own a bicycle shop and if you want a bike that will last more than one season invest in a bike shop quality bike. Totally different product from what the dept. stores offer. Two good choices that won't break the bank are the Gary Fisher Advance $480 - $500 and the Trek 4300 $510. These are both front suspension models. Save your money and get the none disc brake models ( easier to maintain and less expensive ). You can install a rear rack to carry light to mid weight stuff but if you over load it you will make steering difficult. Trailers are the way to go and two good choices are the Burley Flatbed $300 ( BurleyTrailersUSA.com ) and the Bob Yak or Ibex ( BobGear.com ). I hope this helps.  Drew

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2010, 01:34:00 AM »
I really like what mrpenguin has to say.  I really rode mt bikes hard for some time.  My current and only bike is a Kona Hoss (extremely beefy frame and components), with front suspension, and disc brakes.   I do think rear suspension will help with the more trail rider oriented people, but think it is an unneccesary evil on an everyday "hunting" bike.  It does tend to rob some performance going uphill (I know the "racers" will disagree and say that it keeps the rear wheel on the ground for better traction) for the average joe.  Disc brakes are even a negotiable thing for me.  I have the mechanicals which are pretty easy to maintain, but if my choices were two similar bikes with different braking systems, I'd go cheaper.  Lots of good advice here, only thing I can say is go to your local mtn bike shop and tell them what you are looking for.  Chances are they'll help you more than any of us can...Mike

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2010, 05:18:00 AM »
Definitely go to your LBS (local bike shop) for your purchase.  A few reasons why:
1.  They need your business
2.  They know the product
3.  They know how to wrench on your bike
4.  They will fit you to the bike (very important)
5.  They will know what needs to be done to make it work for   your needs (racks, trailers, fenders, etc.)

Personally, I'd skip the suspension and just have higher volume tires put on the wheels, they still absorb the small bumps and you'll be less likely to pinch flat, especially with a big load on.  

If you buy from a shop, be sure to take the bike back in after a month or so for a tune up, most shops will do this first tune up for free.  Reason being, the cables stretch affecting the brakes and shifters, the bearings settle in,  and the wheels get out of true.  

Since you plan on riding with a load either on or behind your bike, I'd look at disc brakes for sure.  They are way better at stopping especially if it's wet and muddy.  Think about it, do any of the car manufacturers use drum brakes any more?  No, why, discs just work better.

When getting fitted to the bike, the number one thing is comfort.  If you're not comfortable, you won't ride, period.  The LBS will make sure your bike is fitted with the parts to make you comfy and will swap out the stem, bar and seat either for free or just the difference in price with what's on the bike already (keep in mind this is for a new purchase from them).  If you bring in a used bike, they will still swap parts, you just have to pay full price.

Wear a helmet.

If you buy from a private seller, take your new ride in for a full tune up, yeah it will cost some money, but a properly tuned bike is way more fun to ride and it will be safer.  Be sure to have all the bearings serviced as well, hubs, bottom bracket, and headset.  

Go riding BEFORE you plan to take the bike hunting.  Make sure you know how everything works and if it's going to be compatible with how you plan to use the bike.  If you ride just 2-3 times a week 3 weeks before you plan on hunting, your butt will get over the saddle soreness.  Those big squishy seats won't save you, they just chafe the inside of your thighs, especially when you start to sweat.  Be sure to bring a few basic tools and know how to do basic repairs.  If you don't know how to remove the wheels, unseat the tire, fix the tube and put it all back together, have the shop show you.  Not much worse than walking out several miles with a flatty.  

Lastly, have fun!  Ride year 'roud, it's a great way to stay in shape!  Be safe, shoot straight, and put up some pics of your new toy and some game it hauled out!

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »
Make sure you hide your bike. My bud used one last year on a controlled hunt here in CT. Some other guys found it that must have walked all the way and destroyed it. It was limited access no vehicles. Needless to say he wasn't to happy about it. Of course this was a gun hunt but you have to love the hunting comunity!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Good stuff....I did stop by the local bike shop yesterday....and he said for my application....rear suspension was definitely un-needed.  Not worth the weight, extra mechanicals, and not as trailer friendly.

I didn't know anything about disc brakes...going to stop by there today and find out about them and the shock seats.

Cool pic with the hog!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Terry be sure and get us a pic when you get yours all rigged up and ready!   ;)   Have fun, it's part of the journey...
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
Here in Michigan we call this Yankee ingenuity

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
:laughing:
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Here's my rig,it's the "Suede" Model by Giant. I bought it at a local bike shop a couple years ago for less than $500.00. I got the large frame model, Big cushion seat. I also like the high handle bars, a lot more comfortable for me than the T bars that makes you lean over. I have another bike that is 21 speed, the Suede is a 7 speed and is enough to get me to my hunting area.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
....rear suspension was definitely un-needed.  Not worth the weight, extra mechanicals, and not as trailer friendly.

...going to stop by there today and find out about them and the shock seats.
I agree I have have the full suspension and if got to do it over I would have gone front shock and shock absorber seat.  It would have not made much difference in ride and I could have a lot of other attachment options with the hard tail bike.  Good luck and have fun shopping!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Nice ride Ron. Got to love the saddle bags!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
I would second that advice about hiding your bike and locking it to a tree. I lost a nice Trek 4000 to thief while scouting.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
OK...bike is in the works....many thanks guys!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Edge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Not sure if this was covered,but when you get your bike set up,get thorn resistant tubes and put in Slime tire liners.

hunting wise I use a Trek,Giant,Specialized and a Haro,all good stuff.hunting with a bike is awesome.Especially in Utah.

Edge
It went where I was looking,just not sure why I was looking at the beer fridge.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Long time ago Easton Arrow Reps got a Hunting Mountain Bike made for them. They were cool! Anidized camo just like the game getter arrow shafts. I had a friend that got one... I did everything to get it off him... But I didn't .... :(  

Anyone else ever see one.. ???
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Been thinking about a mtn bike also.  You can buy a good bow for what some costs !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©