3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain Bikes for HUNTING....  (Read 7733 times)

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Bikes for HUNTING....
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Terry,
Here is a bow holder i whipped together after a quick trip to the Depot store to purchase a short length of PVC and a cap for the bottom and a T-joint for the recurve holder. Heavy duty zip ties, pre-drilled steel strip that I had laying around froma previous job, pipe insulation I had laying around, can of black spray paint left over.
The straight pipe will only hold an unstrung longbow.  The PVC tube has a piece of pipe insulation inside of it and a piece at the bottom, to protect the bow during transport, and to quiet it down as well.
The T type addition that is used for recurves either strung or unstrung will also hold a strung longbow. I simply cut away a third of the "T" joint, and filled the cavity with expqansion foam. I use rubber or bungee type short straps to secure the bow in the holder.
It isn't the prettiest set up, but it is rock solid, pretty lightweight, and very quiet. I drilled holes on the back side of the PVC to allow the heavy duty zip ties through, and put moleskin at the points where contact is made with either the bike rack or the attachment brace at the bottom. Works real well.
***As a word of caution, make sure to do a fit check on the placement of the PVC tube. I had to modify my initial installation a bit because when I first built and installed it, it seemed to work fine, but then with boots on my heel kept hitting the bottom of the tube. Make sure to leave enough clearance.

I have found the front suspension to be nice to have and easier on the body in general. I generally wear in a small backpack, and can strap any extra clothing or whatever to the bike rack.
I am working on an adaptor for a game that I have to allow it to hook to the bike as well. Will post photos of that when I complete it. Hopefully, I can show it being used for it's intended purpose.
Straight shafts,
Chuck
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I forgot to mention, that one realy nice thing about this set up is that unlike strapping the bow across the handle bars, this holder does not cut a real wide path when riding. Also, the location of the holder fairly low on the bike means that that bow in the holder doesn't go above my head when riding. Lastly, I used to just strap the bow lengthwise with rubber straps, along the top bar of the frame. It worked well, but was a bit slow to remove should I have the opportunity for a stalk on an animal while riding to my blind. I also forgot to mention that with this get up I can leave a quiver on the bow if I am using a bow quiver.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
The trailers and bow holders are priceless information.
I used to mountain bike (sold them to get more bows)and have been thinking of combining the two.
This has to be the thread of the year for me! Thanks all for so much info and thanks Terry for starting this.

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
As mentioned Mongoose and a couple others are better quality, otherwise alloy frame for lightness and to carry over things u can’t ride around. 2nd hand is OK. For good quality ones. Front suspension only, yes u can get adjustable. Suspension/sprung seat post and comfy seat a must. Most importantly change the handle bars to a set of BMX or slightly higher raised so u can sit more upright. Note the neck, the foremost part of the frame on Ron LaClair’s bike is quiet long, that indicates a bigger frame, his handle bars are also nice and high(elbow height while sitting upright)This way u will not to have to alter the length of all the cables from original an distribution of weight when u sit more upright will allow provision more weight in a carry basket off the handle bars, a second set of rubber hand grips on horns will allow a bit of manoeuvrability/change of position an tie posts at the ends of the handle bars. Be sure to get double walled rims to avoid buckling and such from weight and rough terrain, otherwise they will get out of true easily. Carrying the bike out is not much fun so have quick release on the wheels. 15 speed is sufficient but make sure the d’railer has a small guard/protector. Disk brakes can be an advantage for sure and not effected by untrue rims but they don’t like oil of any sort.
The carry rack of Yukon Chuck’s is a pearler and as slivrslingr mentioned the local bike shop is a good idea and cables stretch and bearings need adjustment fairly shortly after some initial use. Get pedals with metal grip not the full plastic. I still use the rubber ones as they can be serviced and u can ride bear foot but they can’t be got anymore.
If u go twist grip gear change it must be a REVOSHIFT or better. The Quick shifts are also good but if problems start take off the screw caps and spray lubricant liberally, (the grease with dust can harden inside and retards the full movement, well here in our heat anyway).
A rear rack is a must, the wider the better. Generally the longer wheel base the more comfey the ride. 70-80# PSI max with a heavy load, more will explode most mtn bike tyres. Going in about 55# less on sandy tracks.
Sounds like u’r on u’r way and won’t be offended when someone says “on ya bike mate!” when indicating u should clear off.
divecon

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I hear one guy saying 220 lbs on the tires, and another saying 50-80 lbs....which is it?

Are they both right in different scenarios.

I don't need to lug game out....I just want to go to stands, ride around quietly to get on pigs, and check on hunters who are out.

I'm a big guy though...and I find less than 80 lbs and my tires don't hold up.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Tires have their pressure range stamped on the sidewall. I'd be very surprised to see mt bike tires with a high pressure like 220psi. 50-80 is going to be more common.
With a heavy rider you'll probably want the higher end of the range so you don't get "snake bite" punctures when you hit something hard. That's where the tire bottoms out and the tube is pinched against the rim on both sides of the tire, resulting in twin punctures, snake bites.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
I didn't read through all the posts but here's my offering.

Forget walmart and pawn shops. Unless you know bike mechanicing you may be buying alot of problems.

Buy an entry level bike that's a hardtail. SRAM or Shimano components which means the gears and shifters. Get disc brakes. If you get V-brakes wet, you lose stopping power. Mechanical brakes like Avid BB5s are good. So are Tektro brakes. hydraulic disc brakes start bumping the price and if you have a failure in the field you're toast.

If you go to a bike shop you may get a good used bike that has been given a once-over by their mehanic. Buy a cross-country bike, or XC as MTBers call them.

Buy a BOB trailer. They can be found on Craigslist. Don't buy a Nashbar trailer. They have about a 50lb max capacity. And they break alot. Poor welds.

Bobs can be found here.

http://www.bobgear.com/trailers/  

Mechanical tips can be found here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=54  

My mountain biking experiences can be found here:

www.biketriad.com  username Bud

and I ride a bike at work and for pleasure.

If you go cheap you're wasting $. Go mid-range for your needs and get a 29er mountain bike in hard tail. 29er means 29" rims. Less rolling resistance than 26" and you'll need that for hauling out a deer. Search google for bike lights like Light and Motion. Get good lumens. Not a blinky light type. Go strong on the light.

here's and excellent 29er for a good price and with good components.
  http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_08.htm  

I could go on. Mountain biking has been my passion for the last two and a half years. I am mechanic certified too.

Good luck. It's a good way to exercise and prepare for hunting AND you can get in good scouting prior to season start.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
Craigs list is good if you live in a big city, I just picked a  cherry Kona Lava Dome. It is one quick little pony. 27 lbs,  legendary chrome-moly frame, high end components for 275. I got the original bill of sale with it too. I also have a Sekai Sasquatch, which is a bomb proof old mountain bike with a chrome-moly frame and high end components for it's time.
Some of these bow racks are interesting indeed. I'm getting ready to go out in a couple of days when Blue Grouse opens as well as Elk....
I've rode seventy five miles at 5900 feet this week getting ready...
Oh, yes make sure you pay attention to upkeep on the chain, and learn to lube them right. It will save the bike down the road. Sand and dirt will destroy the sprockets and derailleurs.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Ray...since getting my bike....I have really though about your place for mid-day scouting!!!  You could check a LOT of spots quickly.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
50# of pressure holds me w a treestand 220#
<><
<------------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
any pictures yet with Terry tote'n a dead thing on his bike ?
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
That's a cool looking rig for toting your bows.....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
I did my first trip into the Oregon coast range on a bike this weekend. I took the advice of some who have done some riding and went with a "hybrid" bike with some aggressive tires. The bike shop recommended deflating them a little bit. This way they travel better, with better control on gravel surfaces. They were rated from 50-80lbs. I went with 60. I have a Eberlestock X2 pack that I just strapped my bow on and it road really well.    :thumbsup:   I can see this as another piece in the arsenal of hunting equipment!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Yukon Chuck... Thanks!!!! I am making a shopping list for the big box store.... That should be just the ticket
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Excellent advice from Bud B.!  Thanks for taking the time to post the info..
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
No Ken.......not yet......too deep in serious issues with Dad to get out much since small game season opened....hope to hunt soon though.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline calico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Excellent feedback slivrslingr + Bud B.

Trek 3900 ( 3 series ). 2011 equivalent is the Trek 3900 model (disc brake)( 3 series ). Mid range price Mid range bike recommended retail is $379.00 USA

Rugged + front suspension only ( hardtail )

Good deals at end of summer season. These models are made without change for several years. There is good reason for that.

( if buying 2nd hand )Front suspension is hard on neck sets( bearings ) spend the extra( cheap ) and get er done.

enjoy.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »

Bike - Large Cushion Seat - Front Suspension - Hardtail - Flex Fenders - Kick Stand Boot - Rear Rack.

$480

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Lookin good Terry   :thumbsup:  
I expect the next pic of that contraption to have a big ol' hog strapped to the back of it, and you riding a wheelie!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Yesterday afternoon, I rode my REI Mtn bike 5-10 miles in a new section of woods I was exploring/hunting. Came upon 2 doe after a rain within 50 yards & watched them for a good while. They couldn't figure what I was. This is a light bike with plenty of gears to let me pedal uphill with ease. I have panniers on back & stuff my bow (strung) in one side & BQ in the other. Then tie them together & pedal away worry free. The bow is standing on end. Easy to get to & quick to turn around. Haven't packed anything on this bike but I have others. The treat is how many miles you can cover so easy & quiet. Anyone want a pic e-mail me.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©