3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does nock point change the spine?  (Read 354 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Does nock point change the spine?
« on: July 30, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
Been shooting some full length arrows with 300gr. at the point and they bareshaft well with the nock set at 1/2" above center.
I then tried a shorter and weaker spined arrow with 215gr. at the point because I wanted a lighter arrow and I had to raise my nock point to 7/8ths"!?
My question is that when I shot the weaker shaft at 1/2" it really showed weak.  As I raised the nock to correct for "nock low" I noticed that the shaft also seem to stiffen up a bit.  It still shows weak but not nearly as much.  Does raising the nock also change the spine?
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does nock point change the spine?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Memory tells me no, but what may be happening is a clearence concern that is slightly remedied by you raising the nock point up.

Are you canting your bow when you are bare shafting or holding verticle?
My mentor told me that a verticle bow is best for tuning & maybe tweak it for canting later.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I am shooting vertical.  Over lunch I shortened up the shaft some and it's now showing very slightly weak, which I prefer.  The shaft now also shows a little nock high without me adjusting it.  I'll cut the rest of the shafts to that length and fletch a few up and see how they fly.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Are the shafts the same diameter?
John

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Carbon arrows correct?  I see some odd stuff like this with longer than needed carbon shafts and/or high FOC and what should be a too weak arrow set-up.  I don't have it figured out yet, but have seen it repeatedly.  I think it has something to do with the very fast recovery in the bending of a carbon shaft.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline BunneyHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
agree with the above in my experience it should not change the spine of the arrow.
>>>---Mike-------->                    
"The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way." Mark Twain

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Nocking point should not affect spine, which is the shaft stiffness . Shortening the arrows will stiffen it and lengthening will weaken it. The only reason the nocking point should be raised is because the shafts are nock low at impact, when shot from under 10 ft.

I would check the string for a broken strand, then adjust the string height to the mfgr's recommended height, reset the nocking pointing to
1/4" and shoot through paper stretched tight in front of the target butt. The arrow should not be past center. Try paper over a open box in front of the target. Picture a box with the top and bottom open with paper over the front, side closest to you and shoot a few at 10 ft. The tear in the paper will tell you what your arrow is doing as it leaves the bow.

Then, if you shoot a fletched arrow and get perfect flight, any shaft entering the target to the right is weak, and to the left is stiff for a RH hand shooter.

Heavy points have a tendancy to make the arrow act weak, because the release pushes the shaft against the resistance of the heavy point. Therefore if you reduce the weight up front, the arrow should move back to the left.  If you still want the high FOC, then try a stiffer spine.

Unless you are shooting three fingers under, it is hard to imagine having to raise the nock point above 1/4".  My nock point has been between 1/8 and 3/8 on every bow I have every owned. So I have not experienced this same problem, maybe some else has another idea.

The loss of tiller in a bow can make it necessary to raise the nocking point, but this is rare in a laminated bow and sometimes occurs in self bows.

If your bow is cut past center, the arrow will end up shooting best when the rest is built out, and the shaft will be pointed left of center, when shooting with fingers. If you have a release aid, then you might get good flight when the arrow is perfectly dead center in the string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©