3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Factory to Field show, making Bear recurves  (Read 355 times)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Factory to Field show, making Bear recurves
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Last evening I watched a show on the Sportsman channel called Factory to Field. They went to the Bear Archery manufacturing facility. They showed the making of a Grizzly from start to finish. Now, I've watched the Martin version of making a Dream Catcher and hadn't realized so much was done by hand. The Bear bows being made today are done in the same way, much by hand. They are still using forms, presses and machines from when Fred was there. I have Grayling bows and I have Gainsville bows, magnesium and wood. I've heard the new Bear bows being much maligned and the old ones being touted as so much better. I have never really understood this and after watching the program I understand it even less. I have never really seen any better or worse performance between new or old. I will say the gloss finish on the older bows is better and the color variations look more appealing. The craftmanship and materials looks to be equal.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Factory to Field show, making Bear recurves
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Damn I missed it... I'll have to see the rerun show of it.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with the new Bear bows. People just complain that they now use actionwood for the risers almost exclusively. I also thik the bows they have coming out this fall are pretty sporty despite bad reviews at Denton.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
The show said they used rock maple.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
It is like just like comparing a 1964 Chev Impala and a 2010 Chev Impala--your choice.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I've got a 2009 Bear Grizzly and there's not a darn thing wrong with it. It's not a BW, but it is a solid, fun-shooting bow.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I caught the last 2 mins of the show... I was mad I missed it. I have DVR'd it, as it appears (I think it is the same episode..?), that it will be on again this Sunday afternoon (8-1) at 1:00PM Eastern (Sportsman Channel).

I agree, same machines, same handcrafting. I do like the looks of the older wood much better (60's / 70's). And, of course now they don't take custom orders anymore. But I'll bet they shoot just as good.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Va, I agree with you. I hear people say the old ones were much better. But when I shoot the new or the old, I can't tell much in any difference.
Chrono tests show me the same speeds new or old.
John

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
If you held an old Kodiak and a new Kodiak side by side you would immediately see and feel the difference.  Difference in exotic wood vs actionwood, fit and finish, built up riser using exotic woods vs painted on strips separating the horns and riser, handle design.  I've never shot a new one but for me they don't measure up in quality.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
If you held an old Kodiak and a new Kodiak side by side you would immediately see and feel the difference.  Difference in exotic wood vs actionwood, fit and finish, built up riser using exotic woods vs painted on strips separating the horns and riser, handle design.  I've never shot a new one but for me they don't measure up in quality.
Like I said the older bows had a better finish and the wood combinations were prettier.  As far as the wood the show said they use rock maple. The handle form for the grizzly is from 1971 and looked it too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©