3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning Question  (Read 149 times)

Offline culleng

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning Question
« on: July 31, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
I just tuned some arrows for my bow. They are Beeman Classic 400's and bare shaft they fly like darts. After fletching when I shoot them I feel them hitting my left knuckle of my index finger. They have a little kick after hitting my hand. Do I just need to tweek the nock or what could be the problem?
God and family.
58" Centaur 51# @ 28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning Question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
drop your bow hand down some and shoot again... it just might be the way you grip your bow.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
If Sal's suggestion doesn't work or appeal to you, I would definitely try turning the nock to attain better vane clearance.  I assume it is a vane that is hitting your hand?

Here's a bit of a tip.  If your bow's grip is designed such that you can set the bowhand in a variety of ways you can create an "index" in the bow's grip that your hand will feel each time you set it.  You can do this with a small diameter string (1/2" long) taped on the brip where it will ride in the life-line of your bowhand.  The tape and the string will run parallel to the bow's grip. This way you can set the bow hand in the exact same position every time.

Offline culleng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
I will try both suggestions thanks
God and family.
58" Centaur 51# @ 28

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
I have run into this before, especially with a carbon shaft that has alot of weight on the front.
The bareshafts fly perfect, but in order to get the fletched arrows to fly perfect,try raising your nock point about 1/16" to 1/8" .
  :archer2:

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
My opinion, if your bare shaft is perfect, you will most likely need to raise your nock just enough to get fletching clearance.  How much???
Start with a 16th inch.  On my strings I have a tie on nock so I start with 1 360* turn up.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline culleng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I moved the nock up approx 1/8 in it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks guys
God and family.
58" Centaur 51# @ 28

Offline culleng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
I moved the nock up approx 1/8 in it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks guys
God and family.
58" Centaur 51# @ 28

Offline stickbowhafe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Smallwood hit it right on the money...I just fixed the same issue with some mfx 400 classics out of my PLV...raised the knock point from 1/2 to 5/8 and they fly super.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©