3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: canoes for HUNTING ?  (Read 443 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
canoes for HUNTING ?
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
I want to get a canoe to do a little frog hunting and floating to some sweet deer spots. I'm wondering what some of you are using. There are so many to choose from and plenty of different materials, don't be afraid to post some pics.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: canoes for HUNTING ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
The Old Town Camper is a nice canoe. I believe they come in 15' and 16'. The new ones are kind of pricey though.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I once had a 4 wheeler, but I ended up selling it and investing in a    Poke Boat  instead.

Best hunting money I ever spent. I hauled many a deer out in mine.

The poke boat weighs only 28 pounds, and is tough as nails, but it is not made for rough water. It is a lot more stable than a canoe as well.

Where I live there are a lot of swamps and you can access a lot of areas by water. I've crossed big rivers in the dead of winter in mine, and have hauled in a larger boat and used it for transportation into backwater where the bigger boat can't go. I've used it to haul my 5 year old duck hunting where the rest of us were wading, and have used it to sled decoys and guns etc over ice several times. I've used it bowhunting quite a bit. You can't shoot out of it, but it will haul two deer plus me out of the swamp, and gets me into places quietly.

I wouldn't want to take it through any rapids, but other than that it's superior to a canoe in every way.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Jim,
    just a thought but have you considered a kayak? lighter, can go in tighter, more shallow places and you can shoot out of them with a little practice.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Todd Greenwald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
I use an Aqua Pod, it is a cross between a canoe & kayak.  It is 10 feet long, approx 50 pounds, low profile and will not tip over.  I have hauled out 2 big deer, gear & myself several times without any problems.  I love the boat.
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
i have a johnson rogue river 14' canoe.it works good and is cheap.just watch what lenght you buy.in my state of ohio,anything 14' and over you must tag it.after i bought mine they started making canoes 13'11".good luck,steve

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

Jim, here's my 17' Mad River Explorer set up for bowfishing with stabilizers that I made. It's a great all around canoe. I've used it for whitewater, canoe tripping and general recreation. It will carry a load also. You can't beat royalex for toughness and quietness.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Sgt. Graves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
I have a 15' Old Town I plan on using this year to access a NWR that I plan on bowhunting. I've never had a stability problem with it.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
I have a 12 ft aluminum sportspal canoe by Meijer's that I got used last year. It works great, I used it to hunt some public land hard to get to from the road spots. I'm glad that I don't have alot of money into it. So in other words, pick yourself up a dirt cheap used canoe and if you use it alot, you can always upgrade. I like the idea that I can put alot of gear in a canoe like a climber, so I'm not sure that a kayak has alot of space for alot of gear. hopes this helps.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
I have one of those SportPals that I've had for years - great little canoe and you can pick it up with one hand and walk off with it (well I usually have to use two now - LOL). They only weigh 35# I hardly ever use it anymore as I don't trust myself around the water as much as I used to. I highly reccomend them though, and always have. You can paddle them or row them (they come with build in Oar Locks on the paddles and the sleeves for them in the gunnels of the canoe. Thay used to be called Radison - or the other way around, and last I knew they still had a website (look under both/either name).
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 01:14:00 AM »
I have a 14 ft. weonna fusion. It is a lite weight very stable canoe. The flat rocker, final stbility design is tops. I love to load my gear and just slip around with it.

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Dagger Legend 15,  a good all around boat.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
A Birch bark canoe will take you on a journey back in time...   :campfire:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Ron, that is one AWESOME picture!
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Wow Ron that is awesome, I ended up buying a used coleman pretty cheap it will get me buy till I can save up for a good one. I can still jorney back in time it will just take a little more imagination.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
unless you're going to be in fast/rough water, the best canoe for hunting is a wide flat bottom and make sure it has a decent keel on it. might make it a little slower in the turns, but alot nicer for going straight.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
I have an Old Town Stillwater. Perfect for getting in after deer that will die of old age having never been hunted. 12 foot long and weighs 45 pounds...

It can carry two people with plenty of gear. Total weight capacity of just under 900 pounds...

I've owned this close to 15 years. They are worth every penny...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
You can make a pirogue for about $50-75, weighs about 40#.  If you want plans let me know, got some in pdf files.

I've made about 8-10 over the years, have 3 kayaks now, need to make another pirogue for upcoming season, gotta wait for cooler weather, 100deg everyday! LOL
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I was always partial to the Old Town Tripper, 17',3" and carries a huge load.  In my younger days I could lift her up and carry on my shoulders but probably not anymore.  She weighs about 79#.  I bought her around 1983.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©