3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver or no quiver on your bow for treestand hunting?  (Read 975 times)

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver or no quiver on your bow for treestand hunting?
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Longbow-yes
 Recurve-no
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Quivers on all my bows all the time.  Never a problem in a tree stand.

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
No quiver. Just don't care for anything extra on my bow. I use a Catquiver II. I am able to keep most of my gear stored in the quiver so I can grab and go.They aren't for everyone. If you pack in a stand a Cat quiver most likely isn't the best choice.
Take care,
Ed  :archer:

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Years ago I hunted with a Quickie Quiver all the time. Only had 4 arrows in it even though it held 6. Never thought I would need more than 4. Was quiet and never had a problem shooting with it.
Back then I was primarily hunting with recurves. Since going back to mostly shooting longbows I have been using back or side quivers exclusively. Even when using recurves. Never have any problems in a tree, can always find a place to hang it that is quickly accessible and at the same time not in my way.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
I use a Quiver Caddy with a kwickee, I've never liked bow quivers either.   Hangs on my waist while hunting in and out, and hangs on a string around the tree beside me.  And you can use it carrying a treestand too.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
I always shoot with a quiver, the arrows are always right there, no need to drag a quiver along seperatly and either tow it up to my stand or get it hooked in branches while crawling up my tree. I know there are alot of quivers out there and I have tried many of them over the years but in my opinion the Selway slide on quivers are the way to go, they are very quiet. I use the 6 arrow version and always practice with 5 arrows in the quiver as that is how I'll be hunting with it after I have removed the one arrow I'll be hunting with. Also they look beautiful on the bow in my opinion with no bolts needed, its like they become a part of the bow. Remember to get the smaller arrow holders as far as the rubber where the arrows snap into if you are shooting carbons or smaller diameter aluminums. You can even order these rubber pieces seperate if you need to from 3 Rivers archery, a sponser on this site. DK.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
Been a while scince I have hunted from a tree but when I did the quiver came off,just felt there was less movement.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
if using a longbow i would use a back quiver and hang it in the tree.back quivers also have pockets for flashlights and other nessesities,then they are out of the way when you don't need them.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
Only time I'm in a tree is when I bear hunt in Canada and my bowquiver (GN) comes off. I really don't like any quiver on my bow if I can help it.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 05:23:00 AM »
No quiver. I also use my Arrowmaster and strap it to the stand on the way in. I hang it when up in the tree and try to position it for easy access on 2nd shot opportunities.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
I had not been planning to use a bowquiver. However, since I own several I put a Great Northern detachable on my PSAIII yesterday.  I loaded it with 4 arrows and went to the 3-D trail.  I liked it. I use a RH Great Northern on a LH bow.  This keeps the bowquiver in line and close to my riser. It makes the two arrows (5-arrow quiver) a bit tougher to access against the bow's riser but I'll use these two slots as "emergency" arrows.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Bow quiver on my bow no matter what I'm hunting....never comes off     :thumbsup:  
Me too.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I used a great northern for a couple years but really didn't like the feel of the bow with it on there. Have used an Arrowmaster for the last couple years. Well made & functional. Bow quivers are really convenient. If I shot as well with one I would be using one.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Love a side mount or limb bolt quiver.I really prefer the side mount though,as they come off without hassle if traveling or whatever reason I need it off the bow.I love the added weight as well.

I've been using a side mount Great Northern and love it.I have a limb bolt selway and loved that too till I went to side mount.My next one will be a Selway side mount if someone will ever sell a 10-28 bolt one in the classifieds!
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
I use the strap-on adjustable GN on my longbow. I never take it off unless I'm traveling a ways and I feel like putting my bow in a sock. Its always on during hunting season. A bow feels funny to me without a bow quiver on it. It makes me feel like an archer as opposed to a bowhunter.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline ridgerunner_sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Never liked the quiver on the bow...

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
I prefer having a lightweight 4 arrow quiver on my longbow or recurve.(That's why I started making them.) A quiver under 6 ounces shouldn't change how the bow feels in hand or shoots. It's also convenient if you need to reload.

A lightweight quiver can also help stabilize a lightweight bow, and we have been told dozens of times that our quivers quieten the bows they are on.

"Travel Light With Eagle's Flight".   :archer2:

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
I have tried a few bow quivers but I prefer a cat quiver style back quiver. Just like the feel better.
A loaded down bow quiver can be quite heavy, don't forget to practice with it before the season!
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
I use an EFA Cherokee on my Chek hunter II. Lightweight and no effect on my shooting. I leave it all on the time.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
My bow always carries my quiver. One less thing I have to worry about making noise. My arrows are right there if I need another one quick. Don't have to turn around to get another one and take my eyes off the animal.
Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©