3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting ?'s  (Read 548 times)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk hunting ?'s
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Just wondering how everybody goes about their elk hunting day! Im goin to hunt bivy style( i'll have a base camp by a lake that i can return to and resupply food, and take a dip, but other than that im carrying my life on my back), i will have a bear tag and a either sex elk tag! Goin in 9mi on a hunch that there will be elk in the area that im hunting, but a man never knows! Im more than able to move and relocate also! I plan on glassing in the am, stalking mornings, sitting waterholes and wallows during the day, and putting elk to bed at night, what does everyone else do  :deadhorse:

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting ?'s
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
I spend about 13hrs a day in the woods when hunting.

In my experience you can over hunt elk-ie hunting hard when they are not even there. Spend the effort finding them first...
I hope the hunch works out. I have walked in pretty deep thinking deep had to equal elk only to find the habitat was not to their liking.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
I hunt all day except for naps. before light I'm in the woods listening for elk and walk out in the dark. Going in 9 miles you better have a way to get one out. That is a long ways to pack an elk. A mile is a long way to pack an elk. Its gets hard to go back again.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
Going in 9 miles you better have a way to get one out. That is a long ways to pack an elk. A mile is a long way to pack an elk. Its gets hard to go back again.
EXCELLENT POINT and very true. We typically hike in 4-5 mi with a pack horse. Even then, heading out and back again is tough. You didn't mention if you would be alone or with a/some buddy(ies). Certainly would be a shame to get a nice one (all of them are nice) down then end up ruining more than half the meat due to spoilage.

9 miles in means in and out 18 miles. That's a HECK of a trip for 1 day in CO. Then 18 miles the next day. And so on till you MAY get to feeling like "To heck with it. I ain't walking back in there again."

I would suggest going 3 - 5 miles. There are plenty of places that far off the beaten path that few people go. Base camp there then hunt in toward your planned place. Just my opinion based on a few year's experience.

OR ... go to your place and let that be your farthest point. Hunt back toward the truck.
Romans 8:28

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I agree with the need to have a plan on how you would get one out. 9 mi. is a LONG way to pack an elk. I can't even imagine doing it without horses. Packing an elk is not something to figure out when the time comes.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
Check around for local outfitters or mule packers that have horses or mules they will bring in to pack out your kill.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
The area im going into has produced in the past for a group of local hunters who have never seen another boot track in there! There is a network of small creeks that they use to cache the load by putting a plastic covering over the gamebags of deboned meat, it helps cool the meat as they are packing the rest out! I will be with another guy, but wont be hunting together all the time, we will be meeting back at basecamp every 3 days to resupply and to talk strategy!

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
It actually will end up being more than 9mi depending upon where its measured from!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
4 of us packed in a wilderness area 2 years ago. It was 6 miles in a straight line by gps to the truck and we figured about 8 miles walking. I would never kill an elk that far back without horses to pack it out. We decided we wouldn't do it with 4 of us.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Lots of the walk is trail, we will only be 3-4mi off it!

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Mnbearbaiter you must be one bad mamajammer. I would not even concider that with out at least one horse to carry out the meat.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Mnbb, I want to try to say this with complete respect because maybe you really are up to the task. But I would bet that 95% of people that have packed elk would never attempt what you are planning without horses to back them up. Have you packed elk before and how far?  9 miles, even if much of it is on a trail, is very very tough for even the strongest and most experienced.
If you have the experience to know what you are up against and know that you can do it, I tip my hat to you. But far stronger men than I have failed at what you are talking about and sadly elk meat has gone to waste. It takes more than just a strong desire.  I'd sure like to hear from some people that have actually done it for a better perspective.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
The guys i know who hunted in there arent even in that great of shape i think and they got their elk out without losing nary an ounce of meat! They did have cooler weather though so i may rethink a bit! Steve, if thats a complement thank you, i think im in above average shape for a 29yr old but i work hard at it! Im on the whole Athlete/Hunter bandwagon!!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
A 29 year old athlete is a great start. Given cool weather and maybe you can do it. For most people one elk is probably at least 4 loads. M)be five with cape and antlers.  You said you may not see your buddy for three days at a time. So that means min. of being ready to carry a loaded pack for 36 miles total. And also hike back in another 36 miles. That is going to take more than a couple of days, and if the weather (which you can't predict) doesn't work in your favor you will likely lose meat. Bees and flies can be a seroius problem in addition to warm temps.

My advice?  Talk to as many people as you can that have lots of experience in dealing with downed elk and take their advice to heart. You owe it to any animal you hope to kill.

And I sure wish I was 29 and in great shape!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
No Whip, never packed out an elk! I did pack a moose out of the BWCA(Boundary Waters Canoe Area), in northeast MN in'07 on a once in a lifetime hunt! It was a muzzleloader hunt, but the weather was horrible, and we were over 10mi in the B'dub(thats what we call it)! Oh sure, alot of paddling in a canoe, but also alot of portaging as well! I bet i covered 15-20mi myself humping back and forth down portages as well as getting the meat down to the shoreline after the kill! Took us 2 days to get all the meat out and into a meat locker, then we went back in to break camp down and get it out! That hunt was in late sept, and we werent worried about meat spoilage really! I truly take to heart your opinions, and i am currently looking at another area thats closer with alot of saddles, water and dark timber(maybe ill save the "Hunch" for a last resort! My partner and i have already made an oath to sacrifice hunting days to get the meat out in a timely fashion, but we will need to be smart about it as well!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
I go with "D all the above". I will set tree stands,I will spot and stalk,I will call,I will bivy in,I still hunt alot and will hunt even before work if thats what it takes. I like to have alot of options. If I have my way (time) I like to hike into remote country and cover country until I find sign then stick with the herd. I hunt the frindges of the herd by ambushing,still hunting at frist and then dogging the herd or calling if rut in swing. I also put stands and ground blinds in funnels, water holes and ambush spots next to feeding areas for day hunts. Most shoots I get for some reason is when still hunting. I just try to adapt to the situation and pray for some luck.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 02:46:00 AM »
The summer is not over; the fires are not done yet; and then there is the chance of a freezing night changing feeding habits; so - you still have some toe tapping to do.

I know - I am waiting and tapping my toes too.

I packed an elk out for a bowhunter that said it was his 39th elk with a bow. He said he walks for 45 minutes; then sits for 45. He finds places where he can see - and hear elk; and reads a book and glasses the hillsides. Worked for him!

I like to find trails and hunt them; find elk and stalk them; bugle them in..... but carry one out ?  I have pack animals for that.
 My son shot an elk last year- an older cow elk; that produced over 400 pounds of meat.

Each quarter will normally weigh about 70 pounds; plus the backstraps; the hide and antlers; and then the neck meat and boned out meat.

Often here the last day of the hunt can be 90 degrees.

HYDRATE !!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline artelkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Its just fun no matter how you do it. Just be safe, have the ticker in shape and enjoy!!

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Your crazy, I'm impressed. I had to haul one about a mile and a half and that was hard.  I can't imagine wanting to undertake a 9 mile jaunt with a elk on my back. I would probably eat 10lb of elk every mile to lighten my load.  Personally, I suggest hunting with your friend. Not only can he help carry but in my experience it's nice to have someone calling 50-70 yards behind you so you can get close.  Unless he is a jackass, and even then I would let Dick Cheney hunt with me if I had a 9 mile carryout.  Good luck
Josh
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It is the courage to continue that counts"
Churchill

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
We have already made the agreement that we would sacrifice hunting days to pack the other guys meat out! This plan may sound a little off the wall to many, me included, but its well thought out to maximize efficiency and still have respect for the game!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©