3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Build up bow grip  (Read 322 times)

Offline bhalbert

• Trad Bowhunter
Build up bow grip
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
I have a Black Widow MA II 62" 57@29 1/2. My problem is that the grip is just too small. I really like this bow but am having trouble shooting with consistency since the grip just does not fit my hand. I remember years ago there was a putty like material that could be applied to the grip. While it was still pliable you gripped the bow and the material would mold to your hand. Is there anything available today that would work similar to that?

Thanks,

Bob

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Build up bow grip
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
There are sculpting epoxies that taxidermists and others us.Brand names like Apoxy Sculpt,Magic Sculpt and All Game.Some come in different colors like black,brown,white and natural.You can find the stuff at about any taxidermy supply company.At least an hour working time.Most take a few hours to get completely hard.Can also be filed or sanded after curing over night.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
I used cork cabinet/drawer liner to build up a grip and it worked pretty darn good. Self-adhesive backing, so you can cut pieces to laminate into the shape you want only a little larger... then just sand/file it into shape afterwards, or peel way the unwanted. A sure-grip over that and then it looks like it was made that way.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Whoa! There Nellie. Go to the local sporting goods store and get some racket ball or tennis racket grip tape. Get the kind that is not adhesive but feels like leather. Wrap it up and use the Black "Tape" bottom bit to keep it from unraveling. See if you like it. Add more or less wrap to get the grip bigger. If that works, then use the above materials to permanently make the change.

My Howard Hill 85# at 28” Half Breed has that “Prince” (It has the Prince logo on it) tennis racket grip wrapped around my dished grip. If anyone wants to make fun of my “Prince” grip, go ahead. Then see if you can draw the bow to anchor.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline bhalbert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will try the tennis racket grip material, if it does what I need I may then look into a more permanent solution or then again "if it ain't broke........"

Bob

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Get the Pink Grip. I should have!

Come cooler weather, I will take the Tennis Grip off the really sweet laced leather Hill Grip. Right now, I'd be sweating all over it.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
The Tennis Grip works great.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
Do what the olympic shooters do bondo it up   :thumbsup:
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
I have done this to many bows over the years.

I use leather or the tennis racquet grip and then wrap over that with sticky black baseball bat tape.  I like to put a rubber Shur-grip over my modified grip.  If you wrap it tight and you put the shur-grip over it, it will last for years.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Lots of good options for building up a grip. As already suggested, the taxidermy stuff and Bondo work well. I've also used pieces of leather added in layers and applied with super glue. Dries hard as wood and can be filed and sanded to shape.
Just make sure it is a bow you intend to keep for the long haul. Modifying the grip will probably not enhance resale value.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I'd stay away from the epoxy-type solution.  I had a friend mold a palm swell on a nice rifle stock using some kind of epoxy putty.  It looked like a turd on a pump handle and when he decided he didn't like it very much it wouldn't come off without ruining the stock.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©