3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: lanskey sharpener  (Read 320 times)

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
lanskey sharpener
« on: August 01, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
has anyone used a lanskey sharpener to sharpen grizz single bevels.i'm laid off and poor right now.can't afford to buy a kme at this time.i've always used a file and stone for broadheads,but i have a lanskey knife kit.will this work.some of you experts give me your opinions.thanks,steve

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: lanskey sharpener
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »
I'm not an expert but it will work.You might have to use your file to develope that bevel a little bit.It isn't ground all the way to a sharp edge from the factory.

Get the bevel worked out and go through your stones,coarse to fine.Don't let off the coarse till you have a burr developed along the full length of the blade.Don't forget to occasionally lay the stone flat on the non bevel side occasionally,as you go.

As you go to the finer stones,lighten up the pressure.It's not a bad idea to strop the blade on some cardboard to finish up.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 03:28:00 AM »
thanks for the info.i'll give it a try.

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
I use the Lansky on all my 160 Grizzlys and yes unless you want to do a lot of grinding its much better to develope your angle with a file and then a lansky. Frank

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by JimB:
I'm not an expert but it will work.You might have to use your file to develope that bevel a little bit.It isn't ground all the way to a sharp edge from the factory.

Get the bevel worked out and go through your stones,coarse to fine.Don't let off the coarse till you have a burr developed along the full length of the blade.Don't forget to occasionally lay the stone flat on the non bevel side occasionally,as you go.

As you go to the finer stones,lighten up the pressure.It's not a bad idea to strop the blade on some cardboard to finish up.
That's the way to do it. Couldn't have said it better myself Jim.  :thumbsup:   There's really no stone of any kind that is up to the task of setting the initial bevel on the Grizzlies. The new ones are ground much better than they used to be but a few minutes with a file will sure save a lot of time and sweat.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I use a file to start bevel,and sandpaper of diffrent grades to finish off. Don.t want to set up small machine shop just to sharpen broadheads.....Dave

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
thanks guys.you guys have helped me greatly.thanks again to all of you,steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©