3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lookin for Bears in all the Right Places! PICS.  (Read 743 times)

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Lookin for Bears in all the Right Places! PICS.
« on: May 13, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
I finally scratched an itch I've had for a number of years and after a lot of product research and dropping some dough (ouch!) I geared up to do some ultra-light backpack hunts.
I'm pretty excited about the whole deal as it's gonna boost my quality hours afield by a long shot while not taking away from my family time.  I employed my new hunt method for the first time on a 2 day/1 night bear hunt the other day and I cant wait for the next, and the next, etc.  I hiked in 5 miles in 2+ hours into some sweet undisturbed country.  I even saw a bear...lots of Elk and Deer, almost got a shot on a scraggly coyote, and saw a nice mountain goat.  Long story short...I bumped a herd of Elk who bumped the unseen Black Bear, who ran out of the south facing meadow into the timber never to be seen again.  Decent Bear though.  

Anyway, if anyone has thought about doing this style of hunting I can now highly recommend it.  Keeps you in the woods at the right times of the day and no more rushing in and out before/after dark and gettin home at 11 pm etc.  Plus its almost automatic to getting away from other hunters.  Here are some pics, and if anyone has any advice on gear etc. I'd love to talk some about it...

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lookin for Bears in all the Right Places! PICS.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Soundin good,,lets see them pics,,
TGMM

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Looks like the pics are as elusive as the bears!  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline RookiePaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Randy, have you read cameron haines books on this subject and or checked out his website.  He has alot of info. on this type of hunt.

Look forward to the pics. (Wish I was in Montana :})

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Headin out...havent broke a sweat yet!!

A good spot to glass/camp!! 5 trail miles in.

After dropping some gear I went exploring about 1.5 miles further. And saw the bear... however briefly.

A beautiful AM.

My Gear...minus some clothes.  About a 25# pack dependin on how much water on board.

Offline RookiePaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
Randy, nice photos.  Can you give us the details on your gear and/or on anything you would change out?

Thanks Paul

Offline steve anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
I have always wanted to do that. How much to get set up?  Please give us all the specs.
Progress is a word that should imply an improvement in the quality of life, but rarely does.   A.B. Guthrie

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
great pic's

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
Is that the Lost River pack? I traded for one recently, but haven't loaded it out yet. Do you get much sag in the pack when it's loaded out?

For anyone needing/thinking about gear, REI has a pretty great sale going on through the 13th I think.  Their subkilo sleeping bag - which I've used the past several years with good results - is $80 off. Thermarest 4 season is $30 off. Jetboil stove $30 off. It's a good time to stock up for anyone thinking about buying for elk season etc.
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
All the stuff you see there plus another water bottle, ground cloth and e-kit went in the pack except the sleeping bag.  The sleeping bag and long underwear, fleece shirt, extra socks went in a small saddle-cloth duffle (first pic)and lashed to bottom of pack.  Rain coat and fleece pullover lashed on top.

OK Gear...L to R
1. Fuel Cannister 4oz.
2. MSR Pocket Rocket stove
3. Big Agnes insulated air mattress (in black bag)

4. MSR Titanium Pot with lid.(came with stove in this case)
5. Quart Water Bottle (2) 1 not shown. Gatorade bottles are lighter!
6.MSR water filter (had it for years)
7.Big Agnes Seedhouse Super Light 1 tent. Compressed.
8. 25 degree MontBell #2 Ultralight Super Stretch 800 fill Down bag (Amazing)Great if you are claustrophobic like me or a big dude.
9. Food mesh bag for hanging
10. Lost River Pack.  Seemed to do quite well with 25-30#'s
11. Missing from photo...Tyvek ground sheet, 1 tent pole and stakes, 1 gatorade quart watter bottle.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
SWEET set up. That looks like it would be awesome.

If I tried to hike five miles herre I'd have to cut thru 30 peoples backyards.

the public land in Montana is unbelieveable.

(of course ya got to draw for freaking tags    :mad:  )

Waitng to read another good bear story. Ya know if ya switched to a nice short sinew backed bendy handled bow ya'd save a couple pounds   :jumper:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
That's what I'm talkin about, right there!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline PigStikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
That's awesome!  That's exactly what I plan to do in GA in the near future.  I am in the process of gearing up right now!  I just need to find someone to go with me who isn't afraid of a little heat and bugs!   :)  

So how much water did you pack and how did you transport it?  Also, would you recommend bringing water or just purifying it as needed?  

Matt
Form and Focus

Offline PigStikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Oh yeah, does Lost River have a website?  

Matt
Form and Focus

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Paul, thanks I'll look him up.
Steve, for the big 4 (tent,bag,mattress,stove system) lightest, and smallest (read best of the best) 3 season gear you are looking at...
1. Tent/bivy $160.00-$300.00
2. Bag $220-$380
3. Mattress $60-$90 for comfort and packability (volume)
4. Stove/pot $60-$90 for store bought...or...build your own simple alcohol stove using 3 oz. cat food can and burn Denatured alcohol for under $5
Very easy to do. Will boil 2 cups cold water in about 8-9 minutes using 2oz. fuel. Need wind screen though.
5. other stuff...$100 estimate... depends on what you already have etc.
6. Some stuff can be found on web-sites with classifies similar to ours here on the gang for great prices.  I was in a hurry though.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
Ton of variables to the above list and what each person will need for their part of the country and etc. etc. etc....but some great stuff out there to look at.  There are some great light backpacking web-sites with forums/reviews/classifides to look at and do research I would highly recommend. These people are on the cutting edge and can cut down on some buyer remorse.

David Sapp...didnt notice any sagging...but I didnt have a mirror either.LOL.  Lash points were great.  I hoped not to have to add the small duffle but really I ended up needing 2.  One for top and bottom and also keep everything completely dry.  It may be the best way to go anyway.  I could have used the expandable game pouch for extra volume but decided against it this time.

I was thinking about trying a Jim Horn Canadian Pack or perhaps Alaskan model also.  Cant find the Canadian model anywhere though to look at lash points etc.(I like the bottom lash points on a pack). Thinking of calling them direct tomorrow to get the scoop. Their expandability may be the ticket.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Ferret...you can buy Bear tags over the counter.  One of the most pleasant times of the year to hunt the mountain west too. No bugs, no crowds, no heat, and easy walking (no tall growth yet), and beautiful green as far as the eye can see.  

And I like my heavy 3 piece lonbows with a big quiver with lots of arras for stump shooting. I just switch arms  more often while carrying it.    ;)  

Charlie...thanks Bud...I was hopin you would look in!

Matt...I didnt end up filtering any water on this trip but wanted to pack it anyway for future reference about pack size etc. Chlorine dioxide tablets are a good option these days and are available along with the other chems. I wouldnt carry more than 2-3 quarts at a time if you can help it unless you were in a dry area. I'd rather filter or treat the water available and only carry 1-2 quarts at any one time. The pack is Bison Gear Lost River model. Web-site yes.

Offline steve anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
That is awesome info. Thank you Randy.   :notworthy:
Progress is a word that should imply an improvement in the quality of life, but rarely does.   A.B. Guthrie

Offline Claypipe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Hey Randy, Great photos.  I really appreciate the help you gave me the other day.  Just fixin' to serve that string and shoot it in.  Also just finished fletching my first dozen woodies.  I will get pics up later. Will be in touch, TMG.
  :thumbsup:
I love animals!  They're delicious!

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Great stuff Randy, & super pics. Thanks for the run down on the gear.

Hope to see a bear story soon.
Robin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©