3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone watch Dual Survival on Discovery? Great show.  (Read 991 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone watch Dual Survival on Discovery? Great show.
« on: August 01, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
How about this week's episode "Soaked" where Dave salvages a takedown longbow dry-case from the pre arranged canoe spill in the Olympic Rain Forest river, and to use the bow he makes an arrow shaft out of a fire hardened Salmonwood sapling, a broadhead he knapps from a found beer bottle bottom, and a dropped elk tine. There was  duct tape on the bow tube he used for helical fletchings, upon which Dave sets out to get some food.

Sure enough as he looks for the Elk he saw earlier, he hears a wild turkey hen, settles in against a mossy fallen log and calls it in with his mouth. He nails it with the self-arrow and modern bow for turkey supper. Even his form loked pretty good. I did not see the arrow flight.

That was impressive.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone watch Dual Survival on Discovery? Great show.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
I like that show; its the most honest outa the so called survival shows. Wish i woulda caught the above episode.

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
I caught the episode yesterday. You can watch full length episodes on YouTube without commercials. I enjoy this show a lot! Nice shot on that turkey too!

Offline gblrklr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
The turkey was tied up.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
Methinks Dave can shoot said bow. Was it a Morrison?

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
It's a great show, Dave is a real Woodsman. He runs the Pathfinder School in Ohio. I was following him before he got the show. It's not supposed to be real, just a simulated bad situation. I like the way all the survival factors are considered, and prioritized depending on the environment. There is a thread on this page about it. The bow was a Hornes "Flint Quest". Here is a link to full episodes on YouTube:    http://www.youtube.com/user/DualSurvival
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
I have a subscription to the show using my AppleTV. Even Cody is pretty dang good to watch as a counterpoint to Dave's style.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Survival stuff-A. Turkey shot-D-. Great looking bow, liked watching him work the sapling into an arrow, knapping the head, making the nock and attaching the point. Good form with the bow.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
The point wasn't archery but he did make the kill, with the aid of a self arrow and the bow he had. Still a feat if you ask me.

A lot, hell MOST, of the guys here with dedicated setups have not replicated this. So my hat is off to Mr. Canterbury, even if he jumped on that hen and cut it's head off.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Yes Dave knows Trad Archery. He also runs "Wilderness Outfitters Archery", and has some good videos on YouTube giving a very good intro to Trad Archery. I'd like to know Dave's real thoughts on Cody. If you watch close you can see the muscles in his jaw spasing once in a while as he holds his opinion back. The guy was still running around barefoot in 10 degree weather in the shipwrecked episode.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I DVRed it the other night, and my boys and I watched it last night.  It was a good episode.  I'm not to sure about theguy that was on there with no shoes though.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Cody has his way, Dave has his too. They both work. Gotta give it to a barefoot guy in shorts in that weather. He's plenty tough.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
I guess you're right. The point of teaming them-up is to show opposing approaches to the same problems. Personnally, I'll take Dave's style anytime, I like shoes/boots. Cody did seem to be a little nervous in the swamp when Dave cought a small water moccosin and pointed out that with all the low vegetation he couldn't see snakes well.

Offline Ar lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I like the fact that its not the standard cookie cutter show.Cody a the very least needs to wear some moccasins.
Its never crowded on the "extra mile"!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
highpoint, I have not duplicated the feat of shooting a turkey that seems to be tethered by its leg. I'll bet I could do it with my selfbow or my modern bow though  :bigsmyl:  The survival information was useful, the turkey shot was too staged for me to enjoy. I think they would have been eating "roadkill" fish and no turkey in that episode without cinematic license.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Cody is perhaps the best practitioner of bushcraft skills around.  He has a great book called 98.6.  One of the best survival books around.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
It's a fun show and entertaining.  This episode happened to feature some trad / primitive archery knowhow so that was cool.  I admit I don't get every episode's crazy over-emphasis on food (shelter / fire / water are all much more important) but whatever - the show is for FUN and it seems to meet that goal.

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
I like that show.I heard one of the guys shot trad.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
I love this show. Lots of good info and it is entertaining.

Funny too.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
OK, I'll plant my seat right on the fence and observe that in a "real" survival fix I hope I remember to be both Dave AND Cody. Use Dave's hard-charging, high energy style when needed, and also use Cody's "move through the woods like an animal" pace too. Having both styles presented makes sense to me, since one style is not right and the other wrong. Good show, and of course it is staged. My guess is that 100% of "reality" shows on TV are staged and edited. I think the thing that impressed me as much as anything on that episode was watching Dave knap that cool looking point from an old Bud Light bottle! Also, that Horne bow looked awesome when Dave used it on that turkey. Dave's contribution to dinner that night was more dramatic, but that "road-kill" salmon Cody picked up in the river looked tasty cooking over that fire. Those boys sure ate good that adventure.

:campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©