3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help me out please - arrow question  (Read 204 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
help me out please - arrow question
« on: August 01, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
When I bought my new bow I bought 2 dozen Carbon Tech Cheetah 650s. I bareshafted them and got them shooting very straight. I then put 3 x 4" helical feathers on them and a 125gr. point. The total weight is 310 grains. Now when I shoo them they tend to drift. They do not shoot consistent at all.
I wondered if it was me so I took out some Easton Axis 600s with 3 x 5" straight feathers and they shot tight groups and very consistent. They weigh 365 grains.

Are my Cheetah's too light for helical fletching? Is that what's making them drift? Should I just increase the point weight or take the feathers off and put straight feathers on? Opinions please...
Jimmy Blackmon

Re: help me out please - arrow question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Drifting which way?  RH drifting left would indicate too weak.  Lighter tip perhaps.

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
ell, I sanded the nocks down a little but I still had issues.  I decided to increase the point weight so I went from 125 gr. to 175 gr and that seemed to help slightly. Soooo I went to 200 gr. and presto they grouped.  I'm not sure what the reason is but my bow didn't like the light weight.

I am having some difficulty with the slightly high wrist grip. I tend to grab the bow.  I don't see that in my selfbows because I have a lot of heel in the bow with those grips.  I've shot them so long that it's natural to hold them with the hand. Now, my grip is different and I am grabbing the bow with my fingers at release which causes the top limb to rotate forward and that causes a high impact every time.  I noticed it so I worked on it. I can shoot blind bale all day and never grab the bow but when I open my eyes I grab the bow at release about 2 out of 4 times.
Jimmy Blackmon

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
What draw weight are you shooting?  If you're shooting anything over about 35# a 310gr arrow is going to be awfully hard on your bow.  Really if you're shooting over 40# the arrow you're shooting now may damage your bow.  By the way it wasn't the light weight affecting your shot it was that your arrows were too stiff.  by adding the extra 75 gr. up front you made them weeker which is why they started shooting better.

Offline Ranger B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm shooting 36#. I bareshafted pretty well but I think I agree with you Buckeye. I needed the weight up front.
Jimmy Blackmon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©