3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snowshoes  (Read 383 times)

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Snowshoes
« on: August 02, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
I'm just curious as to what the other TG'ers on here use for snowshoes.  I prefer the ash/rawhide models and currently have a pair of Alaskan snowshoes.  However, I'm looking at purchasing a pair of Bearpaws, or Hurons for shoeing in more wooded areas.  What do you guys have and prefer?
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snowshoes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Jason,

I've had a pair of Green Mountains for 30 years.  Not the best for the long haul in real deep snow in open country but for woods use I really like them.  I can swing around 180 degrees very easily and have even run with them with a full trap basket on my back.  Mine are ash with neoprene webbing.  I chose the neoprene because it doesn't sag when it gets wet though you have to burn off loose threads every year.  Properly varnished raw hide won't sag either though I can't say how the maintenence time compares with neoprene.  Green Mountains don't have the flotation of some of the larger models but I find them adequate for most situations.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
PERFECT!  Thanks Pete, that is the company I was looking for...Made In The USA and no doubt Michigan!    :thumbsup:

The Green Mountains are similar to the model I was looking at, but it's a toss-up between those and the Michigan model.

Thanks for the input.  What bindings do you have?
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Tubbs of Vermont, Havalick snowshoes in Mayfeild New York are to good brands to do business with. Longer ones for open country and trails, shorter ones for brushy hilly hunting like for bunnies.Bot have older wood styles or newer aluminum and man made materials. Hope it helps.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Jason,

Mine are Tubbs.  Green Mountain is the model name.  Bindings, I've gone through a couple sets already.  The old leather bindings would stretch and the buckles were a pain with mittens or gloves.  My current bindings are flat rubber with an oval in the middle for your boot to go through.  Not the best either but a whole lot easier to get in and out of.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
I use Ojibwsa style shoes -- pointed turned up tips, ash frames, rawhide webbing, leather bindings.  Good for open country and the woods, though not quite as mobil as bear paws. Were made by a fella in Ashland County, Wisconsin.  Believe he called his operation Spyglass.  I've had them about 20 years.  Don't know if he's still in business.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
I like my Tubbs modified Bear paw.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline K Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Take a look at Country Ways Snowshoes.  They have both kits and completed shoes.  They use a cordura lacing that looks remarkably like rawhide once the finish is applied.  You get the look of rawhide and the durability of neoprene.  They use neoprene bindings of several different designs.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
It was 100 degrees here today. Supposed to be hotter tomorrow. Snowshoe talk on Trad Gang.      :bigsmyl:   Priceless

I'm cooler already. LOL

Hope You find what Your looking for.

bretto

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Take a look a Iverson Snowshoes in your home state. I have had a pair for years. I have also made my own shoes and like the nylon material for lacing the frames. It doesn't streach like raw hide and looks a lot better then neoprene. When varnished it looks like raw hide. As far as style, well snow conditions and the persons weight play a big part in the selection.

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Jason i have several pairs, tubbs aluminum 10x36 with the crampons on the bottom, 11x40 pair that was made in Canada, wood frame raw hide laceing,I took the 11x40 up to iversons in the u.p. and they were going to make a pair for me and lace in some bindings with the crampons in them.I'm using a tubbs binding it's the t 96 binding that really locks your foot into the shoe with no worries of coming off your foot, the shoe feels like an extension of your leg with these bindings instead of flopping all over the place like some bindings i've used, your foot stays more secure with the t 96 bindings. Iversons has some different bindings that look simular to the t 96 ,but i haven't seen them in person just on their web site. I sure like the 10x36 for the swamps,but went to the 11x40 for more flotation as i weigh about 275 and i stay up pretty good with the 11x40 ,I think when you go to a wider shoe like the bear paw and the michigan you tend to walk a little more bow legged at least that's the way i feel,the 11x40 is perfect for me and if i didn't weigh so much the 10x36 would be better,also the aluminum sure makes alot more noise going through the brush omre than the wooden ones. All the foresters where I work use the wood and neophrene ,they tried the tubbs aluminums and kept popping rivets on the decking of the shoes which tubbs would repair ,but then you have the hassle of sending them in for repairs and being without shoes. Anyhow if you want to come up and chase some elk around and try some shoes, come up to grayling this winter, gib

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the names of some other manufacturers.  I've got my heart set on another pair of ash snowshoes.  Lots of good information...keep the replies coming!   :)  

Hehe...thanks for the laugh Brett!   :D    Yeah, I know it's early, but I'm anxious for the hot and humid weather to subside and autumn to get here...that led me to start thinking about winter.
― Aldo Leopold

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I used ash shoes for years but have now been using military surplus aluminum shoes with coated steel cables instead of babiche (spelling?).  I use them A LOT for rabbit hunting and they take a lot of punishment!  No upkeep to them either.  With ash and rawhide you have to refinish them every year, not these.  I usually get mine out of Sportsman's Guide for around $30 -$40.  I put different harnesses on them though than the ones that come with the shoes.  I can tell you, I use mine a lot and have actually worn out 2 pair and am working on another pair.  But, like I said, I punish them more than the average person.
Mike

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I picked up some MSR Ascent 30 inchers late last winter. They work great, used them on hunting some public land and there wasn't a human footprint to be found. Another great way to enjoy the great outdoors. Little steep in price, but for a few bucks more than mid-grade shoes, they are worth it, very durable. I'm a novice snowshoe'r, but snowshoes are a must if your an outdoorsman.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©