3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas Trad only hunts ?  (Read 259 times)

Offline ohiobowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Kansas Trad only hunts ?
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
I saw a thread on here quite a while ago that was talking about hunting on a military base in Kansas that was trad only. Does anyone happen to know the name of the base. I am wanting to do a little out of state hunting this year. Thanks for any info you guys might have.

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas Trad only hunts ?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Check out Ft Riley, I did not see Trad only but it has a lot of area and hunting.

http://143.84.68.5/Recreation/Outdoor/Hunting/

Dave B

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
I have not heard of one in Kansas but you might be thinking of the McCalester Army base in OK.

http://www.mcaapcontrolledhunts.com/

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Flingblade is right, Thats in Oklahoma. I would not want to base a out of state hunt on Ft Riley here in Kansas either.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
The McAlister OK hunt is by draw and yes it is Traditional only. A good hunt but a very tough draw.

Offline ohiobowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Flingblade that is the one thanks a lot.

Bosteldr thanks I'll check out Ft. Riley also.

Offline ohiobowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I went to the McAAP website but could not find any info on applying for the draw. I am sure I would have to wait till next year for sure. Does anyone know if military and DOD personnel have any preference with the draw?

Offline joebewan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
go to the oklahoma dept of wildlife website. click on controlled hunt you will get the info for the draw hunt there.i have been several times. great hunt and alot of big deer.----------joey

Offline trcytylr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
I believe the draw ended back in May if I'm not mistaken
Jordan Stalker 3pc Takedown 52@28 64"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I have looked at this before. . . and I have NOT hunted it- so I am sure I do not know the whole story.  However, from what I studied, I think there are much better opportunities out there.  This no doubt great deer down there- but few big ones are actually taken per hunter/hours. Each hunter is assigned a limited area via the draw and has only xx days to hunt it. Pretty tough scenario given the expense of NR license fees etc.   You would be better off studying other areas where you could hunt a good week or so every year and really get to know it.

My 2 C
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline artelkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
I've hunted KS several times.  As I'm sure you are aware the state is legendary for its whitetails. The bow permit for Bucks is by draw only for non residents.  MacAlester AAP is also by draw through the Oklahoma dept of wildlife. Deadline is in May. There are 5 three day hunts that run from Mid Oct through the second week in Nov. It is a tough draw. This hunt is stricly Traditional. If there is a traditional only hunt is KS I'm not aware of it.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
Check for left over tags in Kansas right now. First come bassis and there still might be some left.

Plenty of places to hunt other than Fort Riley!!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
In regards to drawing on a Military Base, there is a fantastic hunt in Central Minnesota, Fort Ripley. (Camp Ripley)

I believe 60,000 acres of hunting.  They offer two two day hunts in the fort.  It is archery only, however not trad specific.  Every year they take a few monsters out of there, and in the last year or two, you may take two deer, buck/doe.

It is varied country with Bear and a Few Wolves inside the Camp.

If you go to the Minnesota DNR Web Site, they have the Draw coming up mid August.  

I know its a little farther, but there is plenty of Public Land to schedule an additional couple of days hunting in the same area.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I've looked into the McCallister hunt...seemed like a lot of trouble.  They take everybody out in a bus and drop them off?

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
The hunt in McAlester Ok only looks like alot of trouble till you've been on your first velvet tour. One look at some of those monster bucks and no amount of trouble is to much. The Southern Plains Trad. Shoot is this weekend at McAleser MCAAP and they do a tour by bus of the base to see the big deer in velvet. Its quiet an expierence.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
No way am I going to the Southern Plains Shoot in McAlister this weekend. 100 plus degrees and 200 to 300 trad shooters all looking to shoot 25/30 targets before it gets too hot. That makes for long lines and a miserable day. Been there, done that.   :deadhorse:

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
One thing to think about on Ft. Riley is, it is a active Military base. Which means You might drive all the way there and the area You wanted to hunt might be closed that day. They don't give You any warning either.

Had a buddy draw a Elk tag there 3 years ago and He got turned away at the gate on 2 separate occasions.

Listen to Kstrapper there are better places with just as big of Deer with a lot less headaches to hunt in Kansas.

bretto

Offline ohiobowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Hey guys thanks for all the info and advice. After do some research I think some of you might be right and there would be a lot of hassle involved with that hunt especially coming all the way from Ohio. I have excellent land to hunt here with some real quality bucks living on it. I was just looking for some adventure I guess. But I am in the same boat as most people and I do not have and unlimited amount of funds and have to get as much bang for my buck as possible. The thought of spending a bunch of money and then having to deal with hassles doesn't sound like a hunt I want to go on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©