3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever Lost an Arrow... in the NEIGHBOR'S yard?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever Lost an Arrow... in the NEIGHBOR'S yard?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Beginners are amazed at how much force and travel an arrow has.
I put one into the rear quarter panel of my wife's Taurus some years back. Uphill shot, missed the target, cleared the bank, hit the driveway and skipped up and into the panel at about 60 yds distance. 40# bow. She still wonders how she got the hole in the car.

Another hit the top of the target frame, veered up and through the line of trees between my house and my neighbors, trees are about 30' wide so amazing that it didn't hit anything and got through although I thought an arrow could never do that, and landed upright in my neighbors lawn. Over 75 yards away. 50# bow.
Could not make that shot again if I tried.

I don't miss the target anymore, but I place them in a way that they cannot leave the yard and usually with a bank or a shed behind them.
Be careful. Accidents happen. And the bow has more force than people give them credit for. Someone commented recently that you can take any animal in NA with a 25# bow. Believe it.

sam

Offline RocketDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Go out to an open field and shoot your arrow for distance.  Step it off and that is how far your arrows are deadly.

One lapse in form, one missed shot, one skipped arrow -- one small kid you don't see or don't think is there -- several ruined lives.

Your arrows will go a lot farther with deadly force than you think.
Blessed are the peacemakers

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
my ex boss had a new neighbor across the street. He saw him looking for something in the grass, not knowing at the time it was an arrow. Next he was in my ex bosses yard looking in the grass. My ex boss being the inquisitive type came out side to meet his new neighbor and inquire what he was looking for.

the explanation was he was shooting his compound bow and had lost an arrow. The search ended when the arrow was found stuck in my ex bosses front door about 3 feet up.  :knothead:  

"Priceless response" " I guess I ought to shoot the other way.."  :bigsmyl:
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Erik, Not starting any thing with you. I would like to be the one deciding if I can shoot on my own property too. How ever, I think local law enforcement might not be so agreeable.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
There was a fox preying on my pets, and I caught him in daylight in the back corner of where my neighbor's yard and my yard come together. (No houses behind us at all). I took 2 shots with broadheads and missed them both. The arrows slid under the grass, and I could not locate them, which is bad since her grandchildren sometimes play back there. It all ended well, because it gave me the perfect excuse to buy a new metal detector. I finally got the fox with a load of buckshot.
Sam

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
That is one of the reasons I don't have neighbors. I can shoot where and when I want.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
Yep, was living in a "zero lot-line" house and had an aroow go into the neighbor's back yard.  Saw the arrow lying there next to their Pit Bull's dog house.  I knew the neighbor would be REALLY hacked off if he saw it so I had my wife go around the block and make noise in the front of their house.  The Pit Bull tore off to the front & I jumped the fence to the back.  Dog heard me & came running like nobody's business.  I made it make over the fence with a whole 2 inches between my feet & the dog's teeth.  Never shot that way again.
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
What arrow?
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I had an arrow skip off the back of a 3D target and fly over 70 yards into the neighbors yard.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
Erik, Not starting any thing with you. I would like to be the one deciding if I can shoot on my own property too. How ever, I think local law enforcement might not be so agreeable.
Fair enough.  In my town in CT, there is no ordinance about archery and shooting distances etc... In fact, if in season, I can shoot deer and turkey on my 2/3 acre property with a bow.  I hunted a friends backyard to attempt to remove some does that were eating his plants.  That was a 2 acre piece.  I could see the neighbors preparing dinner in the tree (not a fun hunting situation really).  I agree that accidents can happen and arrows can go all over the place... but, I still like being able to shoot in my backyard.  I do take every precaution possible as most of us do.

From this discussion today I actually change my targets around a bit so that IF I missed, it would hit hay, and IF that did not stop the arrow it would hit plywood, and IF I missed that it would go into that pass through wooded area.  Previous I was shooting more in the direction of the neighbor's yards but had 1 or 2 barriers in place.  I do not like losing arrows and I do not want to cause problems nor draw negative attention, but I still love to shoot my bow and am not always able to go to my gun club to do it.      :archer2:
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I was teaching my wife to shoot in the back yard and she over shot the target so far it stuck in the neighbor’s barn across the street. I decided then I better train at the range from then on.
PBS  Member

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
I had a scary one many years ago. . . I lived in  a major city and shot into my garage.  One day I was just ready to release the string on a shot when my, then 2 yr. old son wandered underneath me in line with the lower limb.  I did not shoot but slowly pointed the bow towards the sky. . . and my fingers slipped. ..  Oh Crap.    :scared:    :eek:    :banghead:    

The aluminum arrow took off.  I was freaking out as there was a sub power station just a block away, let alone house after house- city living!  I was sure something was going to blow up or I was going to get in trouble.  Well- the next day I happened to look at my neighbors house behind mine and there just above his back door on the roof lay the arrow tucked up under a shingle!  Apparently when the arrow took off it hit some of the limbs of the big elms in my back yard deflecting the arrow down on the roof.  I quietly jumped the fence and knocked on the door. . . no one home- I reached up over the edge of the roof and retrieved the arrow.  Whew!!!     :pray:
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
These misses into neighbor's yards are giving me the hebejebee's.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
30 some years ago my friend and I were practicing in his backyard and one of us sent an arrow into the neighbors house.  The neighbor and my friends dad started giving us a good talking to and ended up shooting the bows.  The neighbor even hit his own house.  
He then told us we could use his cabin up north in Michigan for the archery deer season.
That miss turned out to be a perfect shot.

BigArcher

Offline val

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
I hit the broad side of a barn once.....

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Almost bagged the neighbor's porsche when I slipped one thru one of the cracks in the wooden fence that seperates our yards. A 4'x 8' sheet of marine plywood is now attached to that fence.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I confess, I think there is one of my nice pine arrows buried in the grass next door under the woodpile at the end of their yard... I scoured that yard with my binos looking for that thing... couldn't find it... but neither did the landscapers in the Spring so it's gone.  We get along with those folks so I might as to look for it one day...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
I now shoot at a target leaning against my minibarn.  But a long time ago, shooting compound against an unbacked foam target, I skipped a broadheaded arrow straight up off the top and listened with horror as it landed in my neighbor's roof.  It was a very embarrassing but fortunately not injurious lesson.

BTW, someone showed me a way to look up if shooting is legal in your municipality.    Municode.com   Most places it's not so be careful.  The law is probably not on your side if you live in a municipality.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks John,

I could not find Manchester, but I do remember asking a certified DEP Instructor if its legal, and it is.  Not firearms, but there is no land restrictions pertaining to archery.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
But, reading all these stories is making me wanna start using the range again to practice...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©