3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Dream of Elk  (Read 863 times)

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
I Dream of Elk
« on: May 13, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
Looking at the Elk thread got me dreaming again of one day fulfilling my wish to hunt these monarchs.  You see, elk hunting has been one of my ambitions since I first picked up a bow twenty years ago.  But there have always been several factors keeping me from realizing this dream.

Money has always been a problem.  Marriage shortly after high school and then a kid coming along every few years has always had me on the short end of the stick.  Putting money back for a rainy day has always been a problem, much less saving for a hunting trip.  But recently times have been improving and I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.  So once again thoughts of a trip float through my mind.

I have read where you could actually make the trip and hunt for a week for around $1000 if you plan carefully and travel light.  On a do-it-yourself hunt, is this possible?

Where to go?  What to bring?  What to expect?  Sitting in your living room, it all seems so overwhelming when you've never done anything like this before.  Heck, I've never been west of the Mississippi River, so for me this would truly be an epic adventure.  Just the experience of seeing the beautiful country where these animals live would make the trip worthwhile.  Harvesting an elk would only make it sweeter.

Can any of my fellow Trad Gangers put me on the right path to my "Field of Dreams"?  I would sincerely appreciate the help.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I Dream of Elk
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Chris -- Given today's gas prices and the distance from GA to elk country, and an average cost for elk tags around $500 ($480 nonrisident bull/cow tag in CO, some states more, others maybe a little less) I don't see how you could do it on a grand alone. Get a couple of buddies to come with you and split gas, and save that way. You can also buy a cow tag for I think $230, which is fine for locals but not what you want for a hunt of a lifetime. I don't wish to be discouraging, but if I were in your boots I'm not sure I'd say it's worth it. You have some great hunting there -- deer, turkey, hogs and more. I have kept myself poor most of my life (only got my first "real" job a couple of years ago, facing "retirment" soon) in order to live in elk country, and I have no regrets. But I've had to forego a whole lot of things that "normal" people take for granted. We all do. I hope you figure something out. Dave

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
I think you could do it for $1,000 if you do like you say and plan carefully.  Two important points - that is assuming you have the gear you will need and don't have to buy a lot of stuff.  Secondly, definately find someone from your part of the country to hook up with and share travel expenses.  Not only will it be cheaper, but you will enjoy the trip more with a good freind or two to share your daily adventures with.  

If you are in good enough shape to consider it, a backpacking trip could get you into some very good elk country.  If you hunt from a camp you can drive to expect to see plenty of other hunters.  

Start by looking at where you want to go.  Spend a bunch of time looking at the States websites to get information on tag availability, herd densities, hunter success rates, and availability of public land.  Contact as many people as you can at State game agencies, sporting goods stores, here on Trad Gang, and start putting the puzzle together.  Many guys here will help with some information if asked  on a private message but don't want to post to much information for public veiwing.  

I say do it!  I've done that type of trip before, and no, we weren't successful at bringing home the meat.  But we sure had a wonderful time and I don't regret going in the least.  A trip to the Rocky Mountains is a magical experience to those of us who don't live there.  Just the trip itself will make it all worthwhile.  And with proper planning it is possible to have a great hunt too!  Remember, the planning and dreaming is all part of the trip and is every bit as enjoyable as the trip itself.  

Don't wait to get old to do this trip!  If it has always been a dream, make it happen!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
I am in the same boat as you Landshark. I have an overwhelming desire to hunt elk out west but it may never happen. I do enter our states elk draw but that is a long shot also.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
I went to Colorado for my first elk hunt last year. The whole trip cost me about $2500 but I could do it cheaper next time. Airline ticket was $500, either sex tag(OTC) $500, Rental car and motel room.  I had to buy a new 20deg sleeping bag, backpack and sleeping pad and some cloths and survival gear.
  For wool pants I got German Military surplus from Cabella's for $10 per pair and most of my survival gear came from Wal Mart or the grocery store.
  I don't know if I will ever be able to go again so I didn't want to spend a bunch on expensive gear I may never use again.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
Not sure why everyone thinks it costs a lot to hunt CO.  I spent 9 days there last year on a DIY hunt and split the gas and food with a couple friends and spent a whopping $647.00.  I do buy the cow tag as I could care less about a rack to put on the wall.  I want the meat and there are more cows than bulls running around.  Haven't connected yet but seem to get closer each time. Anyway, the year before that, I went and spent about $680.00 and stayed 8 or 9 days.  After you have all your gear, it isn't expensive especially if you have a couple guys to go with.  We ate well but didn't cook steaks and big stuff like that.  We hunted hard and come in after dark, eat and sack out and do it again.  I lost 12 lbs and it was great.  Planning on it again this year.  
Costs were something like this: gas-200 (truck got 13/14 mpg),food-100,tag-250,food on way out and back and other junk-100.  It's about 3000 miles round trip so you get to see a lot of country.  It's a world of fun just making the trip.  

Rob

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
You could always try to hook up with a tradgang member from Colorado to hunt with and fly out.  If you are close to an airport with Frontier Airlines you can usually get a reasonable price.  Last year my wife and myself flew from Akron Canton Airport to Denver roundtrip for $199 a person.  Throw in an elk license, food and gas split with someone in Colorado to hunt with you should be around $1000.  Even if the flight is $300 round trip it is still cheaper than driving out and back and you would be hunting with someone who knows the area instead of going in blind.  
Good luck and don't give up hope of hunting out west.  :goldtooth:

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
the time off is whats going to kill you, 2 day drive each way, and youre going to want to spend at least a full week especially when you dont know the terrain, you are going to spend the 1st day running around the woods just looking. It can be done for $1000 if you dont need to buy anything, you wont want to fly providing you get something....rough cuts in a cooler then get it home.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
Check out Doug Campbell's elk hunt on the St. Jude's site. Might be doable for some.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
I'm looking foreward to hunting them!  Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 02:09:00 AM »
Getting here is the high $$ part.  If you can get to Idaho, I gan get you relatively close to elk...  :-)  Maybe you can show me a pig or 2?
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
"the time off is whats going to kill you, 2 day drive each way"

We drive straight through.  We stop for gas and get food and restroom break and switch drivers while gassing up.  Not to bad if you don't mind driving and sleeping in a vehicle.  I work 12 hours a day so driving 10 or 12 isn't much difference.  Just put your time in behind the wheel and you'll be there before you know it.
After you get there and get camp set up you will forget all about the drive out cause then you are officially huntin elk.  

Rob

Offline Chuck Mullaley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Dont't do it!!!!  (Just kidding!)

That 'once-in-a-lifetime dream hunt' will turn into a every year / every other year affair.  The more you hunt 'em, the more you learn, the more you want to try different tactics, etc, etc...  You can't just do it once!  

Oh yea, then there's the fact that elk live in the most beautiful country God ever made...

Elk hunting can become a provocative and seductive mistress.
"I hate rude behavior in a man...I won't tolerate it."  Capt. Woodrow F. Call

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Strutters right,If you buy a cow tag and split the cost of gas and food with a couple other people you can do it cheap.

My brothers and I went to Oregon for several years,There tag is a hair tag you can shoot what ever you want bull,cow and calf.We flew a couple of times and then drove for many years,Strait thru 24hrs.Gas is always higher during elk season so you have to plan on that.

Money was tight and I never spent more than 750$ on any of the trips,Gas,tags and all.One year I took my oldest son and he had a tag and it still didn't cost over 900$.

Chris if you have any questions on how we did it send me a PM I would be glad to help.Oh yeah, We always had a blast and had a great time and sometimes we even came home with some meat  :D  
Good luck to you.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
Chucks right, don't do it. My "once in a life time hunt" turned into 5. Then I got real "stupid" and bought some land in Montana and will be moving there in July. I figured it was cheaper to live there than to try to get out there every year. The doctors tell me that there is no cure once you get this form of Rocky Mountain fever.
Once you go, you will never forget the experience. You will see the most beautiful country and meet some of the most friendly people on earth.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
I want to thank everyone who has replied to this post or PM'ed me.  Starting this thread has done nothing but add fuel to the fire.  I WILL be making this trip!  You guys are truly an inspiration.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Chris,

Do it!!  Elk hunting is the best.  It can be done for less than $1000, not including some initial/essential gear that you may or may not have.  However, as previously stated you may have a hard time doing it only once.

nathan

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
Chris,

Lots of great people here with good advice about a DIY hunt. Although it has been a long time since I last hunted elk friends and I used to make it an anual affair to travel from Michigan to hunt elk each year in Colorado. We normally hunted from ten days to three weeks on each of those trips. Granted, in some places we hunted there probably weren't the number of elk roaming around that there are today but we were on our third trip before anyone in our party killed an elk. What I'm trying to say is that from my experience there is a learning curve to elk hunting. Not many people I know of have gone on a DIY elk hunt the first time and have been successful. In my opinion greenhead made you an offer you can't refuse! The knowledge you will gain by hunting with someone experienced in hunting elk could save you years by trying to learn on your own.
Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
This is a picture from a Colorado elk hunting trip a few years back. It was my sixth trip elk hunting and my three buddies first. We hired an outfitter to put us in a drop camp for two weeks and hunted on our own. It was a great hunt for all of us.

Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Well, the picture didn't come out the way it was supposed to but you get the idea.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©