3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Antifreeze and snake skins  (Read 196 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Antifreeze and snake skins
« on: August 03, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
I was headed out to build some ground blinds and hang a stand and was lucky enough to kill a big rattler. Even better it was within a 1/2 mile were I had cut some juniper staves this spring. Anyway I had to hurry back to work and froze it until I had time to tan it. I had planed on tanning with Rittle's or drying it with borax. But today I met a new shooter on our range that claimed he had used antifreeze before with good results. He said that it keeps the skins soft. I was just wondering if anyone had heard this before?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Antifreeze and snake skins
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I have a rabbit hide that was tanned that way. I wouldn't do it if you plan on using the skins for a bow...  Just air dry and roll it up till ready for use. Then just soak in water and apply to limbs with glue.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I do not know about tanning. If you want it for bow backing then skin it and stretch it on a board with lots of tacks/push pins. scrape the fat off and let it air dry. trim the belly scales/skin off and roll it up until needed. You are making raw hide.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
When I was stationed in New Mexico, I used to go hunt rattlers for fun every evening I had off.  Whenever I would get anything over 4 feet long, I would skin it and soak it in antifreeze and after a couple days (don't really remember) I would take it out and tack it to construction board.  Just be careful about the color board you use.  I mounted, on a piece of 1x8 pine, a 6 footer for my Dad one christmas and it had blue spots all over it.  Can you guess what color the construction board was?  LOL  I even stamped on the brass tag that it was a "Rare" Blue Diamondback, ?- 21 September 1991.  I had to call my Mom to have her read the date for me just now.  It is still hanging in my Mom's basement.  And it still looks great.

Don't forget, that it is some of the best tasting meat deep fried.  Everyone thought I was nuts for hunting them, but when it came time to eat, just about everyone was my friend.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Dry it like Two Tracks says. If you "cure" it with antifreeze the glycerin in it will prevent any glue or finish from adhering to it. Even if you want it for display you can seal the dried skin with poly or shellac to preserve it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MadDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
I agree with Pat, if you're using it on a bow just tack it out and let it dry, I've tanned them with glycerin before and tried to glue them and they will not adhere to anything.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:37:00 AM »
Thank you all for your help everyone I think I will do as Two Tracks suggested. It is neet to learn another way to "cure" a hide. Gapes growing up my Dad taugh use to eat snakes,not bad to eat at all. The frist few years that Utah had a hunters saftey requirements he was an instructor. In the survival section he would cooked a  rattler for the class,I alway thought that was funny.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
We just tanned one a few months back by simply skinning, tacking out for a few days in the sun, then soak overnight in borax / water solution and air dry. Not sure the borax solution does much, other than keeping it from stinking and rotting. Turned out nice and soft.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Do you think this would work with Snapping turtle also?  Of course I have to find one I feel is ethical to shoot first.  :rolleyes:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I'm a taxidermist and here is my 2 cents.
1.If you want it for on bow limbs,flesh it properly,stretch it and air dry.Add nothing.No salt,no borax.
2.If you want it for leather craft or display,tan it with Rittles.Just follow directions to the T.

Glycerine and alcohol,antifreeze and borax are not tans.They may look good for some time but won't last like a true tan.Borax is a dessicant and will also keep bugs off but that's all it can do.Borax can cause water based glues like Elmers to ball up and turn to useless rubber,on contact.It will do the same to latex based finishes.

If you want to glue skins to bow limbs,I would avoid borax.There is just too much chance for it to react with glues or finishes.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
JimB with that being written can you do anything to a rattle snake skin that was rubbed with lanolyn (sp) to make it usable for cresting arrows. Can the snake skin be neutralized of what I have already put on them?

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
I don't know if lanolyn would pose a problem but I would think you could wash the skin and restretch it.It might be worth trying the skin on one arrow first before doing anything.It may be OK as it is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©