3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions about Javies  (Read 480 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions about Javies
« on: August 03, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
I'm getting ready for My hunt in Feb w/7th age for Hogs & Javies. I have been reading up on them but can't find any pix on skinning them. I know they have a scent gland on their backs. I have never skinned one nor have I ever had any meat from them.

If any of You Javie hunters have skinning tips, pix Please post them here for Me and anyone else that is New to Javie hunting...

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions about Javies
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
No problem skinning them, all you have to remember is when you get to the area near the top of the rump that you skin slow and stay deep and the gland comes off with the hide. I don't cut any meat with the same knife unless you can clean up first. Keep as much hair off the meat as you can.
 I have a friend that makes good javie sausage with some pork added.
  The quicker you can get that hide off the better you will be. Have fun and good luck on your hunting.  :wavey:

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Another tip is do not touch the meat with the knife after cutting through the hair. The hair is saturated with the same odor that comes from the gland on their back.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
So it would be good to have 3-4 knives and some alcohol to clean the knives with. Kool, I have like 6 more months to go but still getting everything ready...

1> PSE Kingfisher Bow 50#@28" (extra string set-up for bow)
2> Ash Arrows ( 12 hunters w/ 160grn Snuffers - 4 flu-flus for snakes and small game )
3> CatQuiver
4> Old pop-up blind
5> chair small
6> 4 Knives
7> Tent, sleeping bag, pillow
8> 3 pairs boots
9> Snake gators
10> Hunting clothes
11> Digital pic camera, Video recorder/camera, tripod
12> 3 coolers ( 2 chests - 1 water )
13> small BBQ pit
14> 3 flashlights

Still getting more stuff together but this is just the start of what I'll be taken.

Offline Axis Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
I had an old man tell me, "after you shoot y'er javelina, skin him if ya want, then throw that meat in the freezer for about 6 months and you'll be ready to eat it!!!". I'd do what the other guys have said they are spot on.by the way, instead of using a ground/pop up blind. you could also just take a stool and set it back a bout 10yrds into the brush. That is what i do when i hunt them at our place in hebbronville. Also DO NOT FORGET SCENT KILLER!!! they have some of the best noses i have ever seen. eyesight isn't very good though so you can get away with some movemnt. Good Luck!!!  :thumbsup:
Hunt,Fish,Love

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
First and foremost:DO NOT TOUCH THE SKIN WITH YOUR HANDS THEN TOUCH THE MEAT. After the initial incisions change knives and only touch the inside of the skin while skinning.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Be prepared for some careful knife work to remove that "rump gland" as it's runs DEEP against the bone.
Gary Logsdon

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
When I get one I guess I'll have CK talk me thu it...

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Man, I'll tell you that they skin just like a deer.  The scent gland comes off with the hide and unless you get out of hand with your knife you shouldn't have any problems.  

On the other hand, I've tried to eat them cooked quite a few different ways, with very little luck.  I'm here to tell you that Javelina burgers are downright terrible.  The best way I've ever had one prepared is in the form of teryaki sticks.  

Have fun!

-Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
One tip is to wear latex gloves while you skin the javie. Then take off the gloves to handle the meat. Like was said above, the scent is all over the hide because Javelina pile up with each other to sleep. Also they make great sausage or even grind if the shot is good and no guts are ruptured. Take close shots and you wont have a problem!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Two knives, two pair of latex gloves - switch after skinning. Good meat cooked most venison ways. One of the most fun critters to bow hunt. Good Hunting!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
Thanx I'll keep all this in Mind. Any other tips are more then welcomed.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:37:00 AM »
take along a predator call...sometimes if you blow (there are Javelina calls, but even a distressed/dying rabbit call works), the group can come to you thinking they are saving a young one...doesn't always work, but i have seen it work with unbelievable results before...worth a try when you spook a group with a miss, etc...

one time i watched 23 Javelinas surround (and they came from a long way away) my best friend while he was trying to call foxes/coyotes in AZ...he was poking them with his bow and yelling "Git!!!" they were coming so close...it wasn't Javey season yet so that's about all he could do...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
I've killed a fair # of them and never paid any attention to that gland everyone worrys about. If you skin em quick and cool em down they are fantastic eating. Gland comes off with hide, I've never seen it, never switched knives etc and meat is always tasty.

I find these comments just like those of locals out west about pronghorns - you not planning on eaten dem goats are you mister?? Nope, we drove 30hrs to hunt em and just paid to have 15 of em butchered so we can throw them out right! Good tasting meat is about one thing - taking care of it - keep it clean - cool it down asap. Best bet when in Texas is to gut em where they drop if not going right back to camp. Skin em soon as back in camp and soak them overnight in cooler full of ice and water. Next day debone em and put in freezer or back on ice in cooler. Curtis normally has a chest freezer in camp. A fully deboned javie will fit in two large zip locks!
hunt it

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Hunt it pretty much nailed it...they're no different than anything else;  just do everything in your power to make a quick clean kill and then gut and clean immediately.  I would also recommend shooting the small to mid-sized females only.  If you're going for table fare avoid shooting the big males.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
How do You know which is which. Does the WeeWeer hang down so You can see it like on hogs?

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Females are generally smaller. Shoot whatever one gives you a shot. Curtis would prefer you shoot males/bigger one if you have the option. This leaves more breeding females.
hunt it

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
kool, I can do that for Curtis. Well if the Javies let me that is... Man I can't wait to get out there now..

BTW, David - nice RAM in your Avatar.

Offline wbyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
One place you might want to check out for some tips is javelinahunter dot com. Some pretty good info on there.
~ SUA SPONTE ~

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by wbyrd:
One place you might want to check out for some tips is javelinahunter dot com. Some pretty good info on there.
Now thats a great website. Thanx A lot of good info there and I'll use it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©