3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 66" longbows...treestands and ground blinds???  (Read 326 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
66" longbows...treestands and ground blinds???
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
I fortunately and unfortunately haven’t had a lot of time to shoot lately and I’ve been in a lull for a while where I wasn’t excited about shooting like the last few years. I’ve been trying to get out of this funk!

I’ve been playing around with different bows and I’m getting my 66” Cumberland tuned in and I think it might be my hunting bow this fall (Marty that bow is to awesome to sit around)…I think some additional fine tuning and I’ll be there!  I’m close!!!  It was hitting way left when I first shoot it with my current arrows but I added weight via the tip and with 300-grain tips on my carbons and they’re flying like darts.  Granted it makes for a heavy arrow but they are heavy hitters and should penetrate very well.  I might try to find a different shaft (non-skinny MFX Carbons) down the road but I’m making due with what I have.

With all that garbage above said…is it hard to hunt from a treestand with a 66” longbow.  I hunting for 2 years with my 62” Savannah so I don’t think I’ll have too much adjustment time…I just have to make sure my limbs are out of the way with the foliage. I’m sure I can find enough trees that will work where I have good background cover but I’ll have room to move.  

So those that have hunted with a 66” or longer bows please chime in with some insight on what to be aware of!  I have a Double Bull “Recurve” addition and I’m going to have to shoot it inside to find out if I can do it, should be able to.  I’ve started hunting corn fields with my blind…opens up a lot of area were there isn’t a tree and gives great cover!

Also any good 300-grain heads out there…thinking a VPA solid or a couple different Abowyers.  The Javelina with a 100 grain steel adaptor or a Brown Bear with 125-grain steel would be nice!

Just some thoughts…late at night after building strings and shooting at 2:30 AM, need to get some sleep!

Thanks,

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 66" longbows...treestands and ground blinds???
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:05:00 AM »
Good question - I'm wondering the same thing!  I'm shopping around for a longbow right now and don't know how big of a factor bow length should be.  Would a 62" longbow be more maneuverable than a 66" or does it not make a huge difference?
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:21:00 AM »
Good question. I think I could get away with shooting from a Tree Saddle because there is no stand to shoot around. I have tried a 64" Howard Hill in a regular Double Bull but it was close. Hopefully someone will chime in about a 66" for both scenarios.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:28:00 AM »
I shoot a 66 out of a treestand with no problem. I cant shoot out of a ground blind. too hard to move around.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »
If you are in the market for a ground blind just get the tallest you can find. As for treestands I have killed quite a few deer and an occasional tree rat shooting 64 and 66 inch bows. Take a couple judos with you and take a couple shots as soon as you get up for practice. Dont worry about that either. Last year I killed a good size doe while she sniffed out one of my judos.   :bigsmyl:

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
I hunt regularly with 66" and 68" longbows and have no problem.  The nearest thing to a problem you'll have is on real close in shots and then you will need to cant the bow over a good bit or the string will hit your body.  True, shorter is better in a tree but if you love a longer bow you can definitely make it work.  Most times any more I hunt on the ground in make shift blinds, but when I bear hunt I always hunt from stands the outfitter has set up....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
I hunt with 66" longbows all the time.  I almost always hunt from a treestand and don't have much of an issue with it.  I cant my bows when shooting and have not had any close shot issues.  The one think I always try to do is set my stand up so that the deer approch from the left side.  I have killed many deer on my right, but there is alot of movement involved to get turned around.  You can even shoot somewhat behind your stand if you are willing to turn around and stand on the edge.

The first thing I do when entering a stand is pray for safety and a clean kill if the opportunity is presented.  Then I draw my bow and turn to different positions to make sure that my limbs don't hit anything.  This also allows you to find out where your best and easiest shots could be made.  It is a confidence builder when you know where you are able to take a shot and when you should just sit tight and wait for the deer to move to another spot by your stand.

I have had very few instances where my bow has hindered taking a shot...  Now there have been a ton of times where the deer did not cooperate and would not walk into an area where a good clean shot could be taken or would not give me a proper angle to shoot at, but bow length was not a factor.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
Most tree or ladder stands do not pose a problem with 66" longbows. Any overhead limbs should be cleared back when you put up the stand. Just be sure to take your bow with you and try out the stand and location when you put it up. I've also shot out of a Double Bull blind with no problem. Even had my 6 year old grandson with me at the time.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm 5 ft 6 in tall on a good day and I've been using 64 inch recurves out of trees for 20 years, no problem.  I'll be hunting with a 66 inch Jack Howard Jet this fall and I have no concerns whatsoever.

That said...the make of treestand could make a difference - I hunt out of chain on type open stands...if you use a climber with one of those rails around it I could see an issue - of course I don't see how a guy could shoot ANY kind of bow out of one of those.  Some ladder stands can be problematic too if they have the side rails.

As far as interference with tree limbs/brush whatever, that's why they sell pruning saws.

I've never had a problem out of my double bull recurve with 64 inch bows either - but you have to watch the tips.

Ryan

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
The difference between a 62" longbow and a 66" one is only 2" on each end. I have never had a problem with a 66" out of a treestand.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
I just built some GT 55/75's with 100 grain inserts (first time with carbon and trad equip.).  Added a 100 grain adapter to a 125 Ace Standard for 325 up front.  Finished arrow comes in at 630 grains out of my 60# Mattawoman l/b.  Quiet as a mouse fart and it rocks the snot out of my deer target.  I found that with my 28.5" arrow and the 100 grain adapter, I can shoot from 145 to 225 tips and still get great arrow flight.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
You have less problems than you think, but you don't want to run into a problem at the wrong time.  You need to practice in the treestand (though not necessarily from a great height) just to become familiar with all the awkward angles and have a good INSTINCTIVE understanding of when your limbs might have a chance to smack something.  Practice close shots shooting very canted even fully horizontal or more.  You may not shoot your best that way but you can shoot plenty well enough.  The longbow shot instinctively is very versatile and can work for nearly anything with practice.  Besides the bow, you have to have an instinctive feel for your tree, the branches, the platform, and all of your surroundings.

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I've used 66" 68", and even a 70" longbow out of tree stands for years with no problem hitting the limb tips, as long as you clear branches out of the way that might hit them. I've used my 66" longbow the last few years the most.
 The only pop up type blind that I can shoot out of without having to watch my limbs is a Ameristep Bighouse, it's a full 7 feet tall. I usally just build a brush blind for ground hunting though. I like being out in the open better then in a blind.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline osage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Are you guys shooting, standing up, or sitting down.

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
osage1,

Both standing & sitting. For myself, I like to stand when I can, but have to shoot sitting, or on my knees in a blind.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
I stand or remain seated depending on the situtation.  I know that don't help much, but it can be done either way.

Arrowatomic is right about stand practice, very useful.  I hunt from a Loc-on Windwalker most of the time. There is not much to hinder shots and very easy to hang.  That stand keeps you close to the tree which helps keep you concealed.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
As far as the groundblind goes, you can either dig out the bottom for limb clearance or elevate it by putting limbs, rocks, or similar under the corners.  i've hunted with a 64in longbow out of the doublebull recurve model.  i cant the bow to shoot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
All,

Thanks all for the input...I have several stands that have been there for years, the brush is usually already trimmed.  I’m going to buy a Hooyman saw for any last minute needs this fall; they have several options and are very nice to have!  If I hang a new stand I will clear what I think I’ll need room for and then on the day I hunt I get there plenty early to finish once I can draw the bow.  When possible I take the bow along for this when I hang the strand so I don’t have to do it during the season.  

Sometimes I move stands during the season when the situation presents itself…I’d have the bow then so that would be good.  

I’m going to practice out of my Double Bull in the back yard to see if I can get away with using my 66” bow…I have the “Recurve” addition so it’s 7” taller and from past experience I believe I should have some room left over.

I do have the option of taking a short bow if I need to switch it up for a day…for the most part I’m a weekend warrior so I have all week to plan and shoot what I’ll be hunting with.  If I know I’m going to be in a tight spot where the bow isn’t going to work I’ll practice all week with a shorter bow.

Once I’ve tuned a bow I can for the most part pick them up and within a dozen or shots have the bows hitting…that is why I try so hard to get them set-up to shoot the same with different arrows, just grab and go I guess!

Thanks guys…I could find a surplus military spade and carry it when I have the Double Bull and dig some room for the bow.  I think this fall I’m going to have some natural ground blinds also…I’m heading home soon to fight the mosquitoes (wow are they thick this year) to get things set up.

Hope everyone is having a safe and fun summer and have a great and safe fall season!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
You will do fine in the blind, Josh, that recurve model is tall.  I treestand hunted with a 66" for several years and never noticed an issue, even after carrying a 58" curve for a while.  Just keep a clear path for the limbs.

What is your draw wt and length?  A few good wood arrows might help with your enchantment.  I'll see what I can do.   Rick
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Ethical Redneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
I was talking to Tim Golder (great hunter) last January and he warned me not to use my LW sit n climb because of the rail.  You see, I'm new to the trad scene and didn't think of that but as someone said earlier, get an open treestand.  Ibought the LW hand climber (seat only).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©