3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Saddles... Do You Recommend Climbing Sticks?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Saddles... Do You Recommend Climbing Sticks?
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
For the folks that use the treesaddle, do you prefer to set up your trees with screw in steps (legal in CT) or use climbing sticks.  I'm on the fence.  Last year I used LW Sticks, but found they don't get me high enough by themselves so I had to screw in steps too.  Just curious how you set up your trees?
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Saddles... Do You Recommend Climbing Sticks?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
I use sticks.  I also carry them on notched foam blocks on a Dwight Schuh pack frame- very slick and quiet.  Also had a friend design a "T" type platform device to place in the top stick that gives a small platform.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Stick are the ticket with the tree saddle.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
I use sticks with some stands and EZ Cut hand drill and step bolts with others.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
KSdan, do you have any pics of that platform devise you can share with us? Been thinking on this myself and could use ideas.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Depending on what kind of climbing sticks you use, you can buy 4 foot extensions.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
I use the woodpecker drill and 3/8" grade 8 bolts. Once you drill the tree, you can use the same holes all season. Makes for fast ups and downs. Easier to carry too, if drillin' is legal in your woods.
N/A

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
those steps are scary i dont know anyone who has used them but id be afraid to fall and catch one
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Its funny cause the grass always seems greener!  In MI screw in steps are illegal and the lease I have the land owner doesnt allow them either.  Anyhow I use my treesaddle less and less cause of the pain on setting up 4 lone wolf sticks and a ratchet strap of 5 ameristep steps as a base every time in and out.  So I thought the best use of the saddle would be John Eberhart style with pre done screw in steps and bases around my spots and only screwing in a few steps at the bottom each time.  Looks like everyone else feels otherwise though!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
I use rapid rails to get up in the tree.  I make my base with 3 screw-in steps and the top of the last rail.  If the tree is one I'm going to go back to another hunt, I'll leave the screw-in steps in the tree.  Makes it real easy and quick to get set-up on my return hunt.  I do remove the steps at the end of the season.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Some places I have trees set up with screw in steps. Other places I use 4 Lone Wolf Sticks. It is definitely easier and quicker to hunt the areas I have the trees set-up with steps.

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Check out Climb Paws. They are easy and quiet to put up. These strap-on steps weigh about 5 lbs for 10. I have carried them around my neck and shoulder and also in a pack. They take a few minutes longer to set up than LW sticks but they're perfect for carrying.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
I'm with huntin sparty they seem like it takes longer than my climber to get up a tree. I  believe the best way to use a Tree Saddle is to have steps or sticks set up in a tree already so you can run in a climb up . Just my opinion, but they are nice.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
I set up my trees in advance for the Saddle.  If and when I'm using it, I want to be as quick and quiet as possible.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
I use the ezy-cut hand drill and bolts with my Guidos web

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
If it is a stand that I know I will hunt a lot in the year. I will use screw in steps (private only in arkansas) Every where elese I use Lone wolf sticks and the EXsystem and at the top use 6 ameristep strap on steps that I put on one ratchet step.
Thanks
Boswell

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
I modified one of my lonewolf steps. I attached an aluminum "C" shaped channel bar across the top. It is big enough for my feet to stand on and adds very little weight. I can't walk all the way around the tree, but I still can get shots in most directions. My pack hangs on the side that I can't move around to anyway. With this setup, when I get to the top of the steps all I have to do is tie on. I dont' have to mess with my platform--it's already on my top step. I never walked around the tree anyway.

I just purchased an Eberlestock X2 pack and it works perfectly to carry my leather saddle and lonewolf steps.

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
One more thing that I found that helps me. I take a couple of flat brass bars to use to hang my pack and bow. I bend them to the correct shape and slide them under the strap that holds the saddle. This way you don't have to screw anything into the tree or bring another strap.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I use strap-steps going up the tree and a ring of 4 for my feet to work around the tree.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
I have a home made woodpecker style hand drill and the 3/8" bolts.  I use the game tracker strap on steps at the top.  I put three steps on a single strap for a platform.  I had the lone wolf steps and didn't care for them.  Some folks love them, but they are not for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©