3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Saddles... Do You Recommend Climbing Sticks?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Saddles... Do You Recommend Climbing Sticks?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
I bought a " woodpecker" type drill last month to replace all my various tree sticks for this year. Not 100% sold on the 3/8 bolt system. I drilled a hole in an elm and my 250 # took the step from 2 o'clock to 5 oclock when I added weight.  Basically I'll have to lose about 50# which I need to do or only hunt out of hard woods
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
joebuck, you need to drill/climb only hardwoods, like oak and hickory. :)
N/A

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Or buy a longer bolt and bit...

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
What about go up to a 1/2" system and have a machine shop make me a 1/2" auger.?  Will tree recover from a 1/2" hole?

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
You need to "drill" deeper!
N/A

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
joebuck,
I am a little confused ? Did your bolts bend that much or did the softer elm tree allow the bolts to sag as the wood compressed under you ?

Agreed about hunting hardwoods only, we do not climb populars or pines here in TN. We use GRADE 8 bolts that are 3/8" X 8" and have no problems and I am 220lbs. I drill my holes in hardwoods at about 2 o'clock as well. Not sure if a 1/2" system would benefit you or not ?

I drill four holes at the top for foot platform. tried the 4 steps on a ratchet strap, what a pain to get tight enough that it does not shift on you and did I mention the noise and weight of the system ? I carry 16 or 18 bolts depending on where I am. I also try my best to hunt a spot the first time on a evening hunt if I can. That way I can take my time and also know exactly how high to get the first time. Next trip in just slip in your bolts and sneak up the tree. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Almost forgot joebuck.... If I remember right I had heard that Jerry Simmons, who invented the Woodpecker, had a small tree in his yard that he had drilled hundreds of holes in to prove it would not harm a tree ???
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
the bolts just cut through the elm tree. I may get a washer and have it tack weld at end of bolt to give my boot more protection from slipping off......I use screw in and/or TreeStepps for my platform.  It's that old rope step from the guy in Maine. I made mine a 2 point base instead of 1 points. It's an awesome base........

Steve O  with your engineering mind, the longer the bolt ,the more leverage and more it would cut through the tree like soft woods? So going to a 10" would only be worse?  Ihope to be 220 by oct 1. Definitely something to set a goal for

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Joey--have your engineering mind think of a teeter-totter   ;)  .  

I said to get a longer bolt AND drill bit.

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I used tree steps for a LONG time, ever since I started hunting.... Until SSWV stepped on one and it pulled out of the tree, gravity took over and he caught the inside of his arm on the next step down.... The brachial artery could be seen as the blood pulsed through it.

I no longer use steps.
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Beartrack. Was this the screw in kind ? Or the kind you drill a hole and insert a bolt?     I use only Cranford (EZY Steps)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
joebuck, I too tried some screw in steps for my foot platform the first few hunts out of my Guidos Web. What I found was that the step would turn on me when I pushed against it sometimes. Think about it, when you push with your right foot you are actually turning the step left and hence out of the tree, loosening it in the process. Now if I had taken a little more time and screwed it in deeper that might not be the case ? Bolts are just easier for me and always solid. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
They were the screw in kind. He used a small drill bit to start the holes and screw em in.
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
I actually have retired 3 folding Cranfords because they bent.  

No cam.     What's best dip for my bolts.......plastic or truck liner?  You add sand don' u?..I got 2 small saddlebags that clip on each side of guide seat..I am ready to rock with this system

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
Heh bud,
I used Plastidip that I bought at Great Northern Tool. Not sure if they have stores in MS, but you can bu online too I am sure. It is in a tall can that looks almost like a tube of grease and even has a pull top like a a tube of grease. I thinned it with Xylene and added sand. Dipped my bolts three coats to keep them quiet and give me traction. I am sure bedliner stuff would work too. If I remember right I priced it at Advance Auto and even a quart can was pretty pricey.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
Here are a few videos that I did on the tree saddle. I am a trophyline pro staff member I did these for another fourm for but thought you guys might like to take a look.

Look around there are a few more good videos on there as well,

Thanks
Boswell

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
Thats good stuff Boswell. Thanks for sharing. I have been hunting out of a Guido Web for 4 years now and hunt without my shoulder straps and manuever just like you do around the tree....it's kind of fun swinging around isn't !

RACHET Strap!!......have not thought of that for the 6 step platform..i'm 250 with gear and could not ever get that strap tight but rachet makes sense...will try

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by baretraks:
I used tree steps for a LONG time, ever since I started hunting.... Until SSWV stepped on one and it pulled out of the tree, gravity took over and he caught the inside of his arm on the next step down.... The brachial artery could be seen as the blood pulsed through it.

I no longer use steps.
This is why when climbing one always need to have 3 points of contact.  When I used to rock climb, that was essential... 3 points at all times.  Plus the saddle has a climbing harness...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I strung up 7 amersteps on a rachet strap and was pleased with the results. However the steps did creak a little bit against the bark. I jumped up and down to set them also. My rachet looks heavy duty and my strap is twice as thick as one on the ameristep. Will do some more testing. Obviuosly this system is only as good or safe as the rachet used...

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Do you guys wash your saddle and spray it down before you hunt?  How do you treat it for scent?
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©