3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snap Shooters....Which is more forgiving, Lonbow or Recurve  (Read 304 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Snap Shooters....Which is more forgiving, Lonbow or Recurve
« on: August 05, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
This subject came up as a few of us sat on the back deck. For a Snap shooter, which bow would be more forgiving to shoot in a hunting situation.

We're talking guys who reach FULL DRAW, then release when they hit their anchor...w/o holding. For those who shoot both bows, would like to hear all opinions.

With all the "newbies" asking which bow to start with or more forgiving, the information here may be helpful.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snap Shooters....Which is more forgiving, Lonbow or Recurve
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
This will be interesting to watch.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Joe, I snap shoot and have done it with both kinds of bows. I seem to shoot better when I snap shoot. For me both are forgiving, but when I hold for anytime ( I do this to work on back tension ) I find the long bow to be more forgiving. Now everyone is different so You'll get other that will say either or is better, that is them..

I hope You find the answer Your looking for..

BTW ( not to jack your thread.... Good luck Mike on Your Moose hunt. )

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Joe, I never hold at my draw. The arrows on its way immediatly. To be honest with you, I don't really know. There is a slight differnce with my "internal computer" while switching back and forth, but thats figured out rather quickly as I shoot more arrows. Good thread, I will be watching this one!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
I don't think the limbs matter much............it is the riser shape that hides the sins-at least for me. I find longbow risers to be more forgiving.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Im told I am a quick shot, but I do my best to reach anchor on each and every shot.

I dont think it makes a bit of difference to me. Maybe for some the heavier mass of the 'curve will slow them down a bit, and steady them up. Heck...might do the same for me, I just know that usually, I shoot high with recurves, and I dont like to switch back and forth, so I stick to my Griffin.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I don't know, personally, but Howard Hill had no doubts on the answer to this question: he believed the longbow was more forgiving, and even went so far as to say that he didn't shoot recurves because he didn't believe he was a good enough archer to shoot a recurve.  At first, I assumed he was just making a joke, but people I have asked have assured me that he meant it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
My experience is, the shorter the bow the more it reacts to release finger variances, the heavier the bow and the more pistol gripped the slower it is to get on target. I have found that a bow that has a straighter grip that I can really get a hold of will react less to a jerked release.  As far as limb shapes? I have seen longbows that bent from the riser too much that had more left/right problems and thin tipped recurves that had more vertical reactions. I have also found that shooting with a slightly bent bow arm and a deep grip on the bow enhances its forgiveness as the weight of the arm aids the stability of the bow, eliminating the pendulum effect that can be caused by a straight arm with a standard Hill style bow.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
I would have to say that given both bows that suit you, handle grip is good, speed is about the same, etc., I had a Shadow longbow that I just could not miss with. Getting older and hanging it up for a while was a mistake. I shot it at the Muzzy one year and on the first round nocked off 17 targets...best I have ever done there with any bow. However, I do really like my DAS bow but I think my snap shooting style has evolved back more towards my old competitive style of shooting. That had to do with the fact that I nearly lost my left eye four years ago and it doesn't work quite as well as it did. Since then my shooting style has become more deliberate and conscious so the feel is not the same any more. I doubt that I could snap shoot that longbow as well as I did even if I could handle it. But, for me, the answer to your question would be the longbow....as long as it was a good "fit" for you.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I don't consider myself a snap shooter because I usually anchor for one or two seconds. However, I shoot better / more quickly with a bow that the has the shelf just atop the knuckle.  LB or recurve? I dunno.   :dunno:

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I snap shoot and shoot better with longbows than recurves.  In fact, I just sold a take down recurve that I made to a guy because I simply couldn't shoot it as well as my longbows.  Sure was pretty, but just didn't work for me.

As was stated above, in days gone by Howard Hill claimed a longbow was more forgiving and today Byron Ferguson claims the same thing.  Who can argue with those two?
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©