3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone just use a tarp?  (Read 397 times)

Offline nel

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone just use a tarp?
« on: August 05, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I'm going on a moose hunt first time in years (cancer and work will do that to you) here in Ontario.

I'm thinking of going as scaled down as I can. I want to just pitch a canvas tarp to "live" in.

Anybody do this much? what sizes? material? what configuration do you set it up like? I can't get that Fred Bear video in Pennsylvania or the Lost Antlers video out of my mind where they just pitch tarps...

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone just use a tarp?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Fred had a baker style canvas tent in The Oldest Game but Lance did have a tarp and he looked pretty cozy doing it. I guess if you found a nice sheltered spot like Lance did, his low slung tarp set-up should do the trick. I would make sure the tarp was big enough and could be folded under your sleeping bag as well, or maybe an extra tarp as a ground cloth. Face the low side to the expected wind to keep rain from blowing in, and keep 'er taut!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
FWIW My friend, Bill Pearce (big feller), started using a net hammock and tarp at shoot camps about 2 or 3 years back and was set up in the same camp space as I was, on a number of occasions. He uses the hammock (from military surplus store) streched between a couple trees, puts a rope above that (between the same trees)and centers the tarp on the rope. Sometimes he stakes the tarp edges out at an angle, and sometimes he just lets it hang down to the ground. After he used it once or twice at a shoot, he started using it hunting up in the mountains of VA. I understand there was some snow involved on occasions. He seems to be real satisfied with the protection/comfort it offers, and the ease of using it (set up and take down). I know VA (even in the montains, near WV) is not like Canada or New England - but as I said - FWIW. One thing about it, if it's in winter time, you wouldn't have bugs to worry about .  "[dntthnk]"
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
That is what I would be worried about...BUGS!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
Yes, but just allow yourself one modern convenience and take a headnet.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
Nel,check out a Hennessy Hammock weights 3# keeps you off the ground and dry in the rain plus no bugs.All you need is a sleeping bag.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
I've used a tarp, the smoke from my fire set close by usually keeps the bugs away.  A large nylon tarp weighs only about a pound.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
The Spring+Summer 2010 Mountain Equipment Co-op Catalogue has 2 pages of tarps.
mec.ca
or 1-800-663-2667
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Yes.  I made one from silnylon seconds bought from owareusa.com.  it's 9x11'.  I like them.  Simple, light, allow air in better.  Bugs can be a problem in mosquito season.  Wear bug spray.

Here are a couple pics of a typical pitch.

Pitched very low for heavy rain.  I caught a lot of condensation on this one.

Pitched high and wide in clear weather.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I often use a tarp on my moose hunts.

The thickness of the material you choose will often determine the size of the tarp you can transport with you.

I use tarps for anything from simply a cover, to a lean to, to a pup tent, to a tipi, to a wall tent, etc.

When I leave with only a pack on my back to roam or only to camp for a few days, I use a relatively small thin one. If I have access by canoe or other and it is for a week or more, I may set up a more elaborate tarp camp. Tarps make you more flexible.

If your hunt takes place in the north country in October (when most moose hunts take place here) flies are not an issue. Rain and frost are.

If you hunt the early season in September, they will come out on warm days. Then you still have options: Thermacell, headnet, natural wood smoke (which is a neutral to most moose), and the good old wind.

I could have said more but don't want to take more space than I should. We never go anywhere, anyhow, without a tarp within reach.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline RocketDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
We have been using tarps for years here in Calif and on up through Oregon and Idaho.  Just have to pitch it right for the weather, especially if there is snow.  I prefer using a good sized nylon tarp in conjunction with a hammock, but you have to have a good sleeping bag in really cold weather.

Nylon tarps are hard to beat if you hike in, but good silnylon is kind of expensive.
Blessed are the peacemakers

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
If I have to hike in for an over night, I use an 8x10 tarp with a bivy bag. Don't have to worry about bugs or rain.
Semper Fi

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Nel, I do a thing called "Historical Trekking".  Basically I camp using primitive 18th century items.  I use a 9'x9' oil cloth tarp.  Its a bit heavy, but its very water proof. I either put it up as a plowfront (diamond shelter) or a lean-to.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
I'd like to try a Hennessy Hammock. What I've read sounds good.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
SIL TARPS ARE EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE!!  I wouldn't use one if there was a fire nearby, but if you don't have a fire go ahead.

cheers

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
That's Bill's very simple set-up (behind him in the center) between mine and Killie's camp. (Killie on the right, my daughter lois on the left).

Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by ber643:
That's Bill's very simple set-up (behind him in the center) between mine and Killie's camp. (Killie on the right, my daughter lois on the left).

I sure wish I could see it better!!..lol My glasses don't seem to help much.

Thanks for the rest of the picture! I love watching folks that are obviously hard at it...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
we use a tarp and have no problem with it.
pick a spot stupid!

Offline HillbillyGadget

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Check out NW Woodsman's site for using a canvas tarp as a pyramid tent, he has a pretty good site for "traditional" type camping and canoeing.

After camping for 3 weeks in "skeeter free" SE Wyoming last month, they don't make enough netting and bug juice! Ten years of going out there and I've never seen it so bad, might as well been out on the tundra. The locals did say they haven't seen it this bad in 30 years. It sure was green and pretty though.

One more week and we'll be living in Wyoming!

Offline nel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
A lot of great responses. NW Woodsman's site is really good...

And Ken, please don't hesitate to add more information!

We'll be heading up around the first week of October; bugs aren't likely to be a big problem.

I have a Hennessey Hammock, but have never used it in cooler/colder weather...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©