3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: spray cresting arrows??  (Read 365 times)

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
spray cresting arrows??
« on: August 05, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Hey all,

I'm wanting to try spray cresting some carbon arrows.  Does anyone have experience doing this, any tips you can share?  

Thanks alot,

Dan
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: spray cresting arrows??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Wear a mask, seriously.   :)
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Good idea! I don't see why it shouldn't work and look good too. I spray paint all my arrows (wood) nowdays and they look, last forever!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline RocketDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I have been spraying on an undercoat for my cresting for years.  With the variety of spray colors available it makes cresting pretty easy.  You can get several large blocks of color by taping with masking tape or scotch magic tape.

If you plan to overcoat with a spray, be sure to let your cresting job dry a couple of days, or overcoat with something that will not dissolve the cresting.

Definitely wear a mask unless you are well ventilated, especially if using lacquer.
Blessed are the peacemakers

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I like to use fletching tape, does anyone know how well this will stick to spray paint????  I know I can test it out easy enough, but figured I'd ask first.

DR
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
good Idea I think I will give it a try also.
I work at sheely's furniture store and do wood repair work that being said.we use all kinds of lacquers and we are inside of a building that is inside a building like 15 yards wide by 35 yards long and there is 8 of us spraying table tops and dressers and all kinds of furniture and we have no ventalation system at all.they should have spray booths or something.but so far it has'nt had no afe affe affe affe affect on mmmmmmeeee yyyeeettt.lol. its not really a laughing matter they should be made to do something about it.
robert quetot

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
Tape will adhere fine to spray paint. I do all my alums with spray paint with an over coating of clear and have not had a problem with the tape not sticking.

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
sweet, thanks.

Offline TRG 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I've been using the Wal-mart canned spray paint for years. After cleaning the shaft area to be painted with acetone and using masking tape to mark off the area, I put down a white coat first so that the final color will be stand out more. For variety, I often use two final colors and fade one into the other. A final coat of clear follows and I'm ready to apply the fletching in a couple of days to make sure that all of the paint is dry.

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys. I have been using the adhesive, mouse pad, roll on stuff since I went to carbons...will have to give this a try.
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I use spray paint for cresting, then seal with water base polly. I use Duco for fletching, never have any problems............James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©