3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Season's done....changing tactics next season!  (Read 451 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Season's done....changing tactics next season!
« on: May 13, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Well, turkey season here in Indiana ended today. I had a couple of close encounters of the longbeard kind, but know arrows flew. I discovered a few things this season-
1. ground blinds are effective, but I had to put in extra practice to shoot well from one
2. It gets really hot in a ground blind
3. even with the carrying system, a ground blind is cumbersome
4. I still don't like hunting from a blind
5. I have to practice more with a diaphragm call
A few evenings, when it was especially warm, I just stalked along the ridges and field edges, got fairly close, but just couldn't get off a shot. I am terrible with a diaphragm, but if I'd had one and could use it, I may have "closed the deal" on a Tom. I was actually close enough for a shot once, but couldn't find an opening in the multi-flora rose. The diaphragm would of come in handy. I really think that next season I am going to try to find a cool/lightweight and quiet "leafy suit" of some kind, a light folding stool and a few good diaphragm calls (and learn to use them without choking or sounding like a ruptured duck) and see what happens! I had much more fun on the days without the blind and killed just as many turkeys as I did in the blind! NONE!! LOL!
Any one have a favorite diaphragm call to suggest? I'm gonna get some now and practice, practice, practice! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Season's done....changing tactics next season!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
I switch up diaphrams alot. I normally wear out three or four a year practicing. (Year round)

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Turkeys are a challenge without a blind.  The problem with trying to put the sneak on them and calling when you get close is they then spend a lot of time looking for you.  If you don't call, they're not as apt to be looking.  A good ghillie suit should help you close the deal though.  I'm going to do more of that myself next year, maybe even this year.  I have a permit for our last 5-day period, which starts next week.  Sitting in a blind for hours on end also gets quite boring.

Offline Swabby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
Sorry guys,
  One of my favorite times of year sittin in the blind, No phones botherin me and a good book.  Call a little and let things happen as they may.  Blind is too cumbersome, go to a Goodwill or garage sale or whatever, find a old golf cart, use your imagination to fasten the blind, decoys, maybe your bow, a good chair,{there are some good cheap ones out there witha back a sack to carry em in and 4 legs that are pretty comfy, can even nap on them.} and whatever else you want to carry on it.  Know there are some terrians where the cart won't work, but they are great here.  My 2cents worth.  Take care, hunt hard and have a great season.  Swabby

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
I will change up also called in 16 this season but I like to move on birds and cant with bow
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
sonic dome from primos. very easy to use.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback....ttt
Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©