3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you like best a tab or a glove?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you like best a tab or a glove?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mitch-In-NJ:
I have shot tabs and gloves.  Both thick and thin.  I prefer a thicker glove.  Right now I am shooting a NEET glove with the calf hair tips.

I don't like the feel of the string digging into my fingers.  I shoot split and anchor my index finger to my canine tooth .  With a tab I have trouble finding that anchor.

Plus I never have to fumble getting a tab on the string without looking when it comes time for a shot on an animal.
exactly the way I do it, but I dont like putting leather in my mouth, doesn't it taste funny?
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
I like a thin, one-piece cordovan leather tab made by Alaska Bowhunting Supply (a tradgang sponsor from the list above).  I just retired the one I've been using for the past four years.  It's a little stretched out but totally useable.  I also work a generous amount of leather conditioner into the tab about twice a year.  If you go with a tab, many are too long once you grip the string.  Most can be trimmed.  I like the tab just past the first joint when my hand is open.  That puts it at my finger tips when I'm on the string.  I shoot split finger.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I enjoy hearing about your style.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
i shoot split finger and use a S.A.M. tab.  Used a glove a hundred years ago but love my tab. i've never had to fumble getting my tab on the string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline harvestmoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Recent convert to tab..shoot 3 under and I just felt my anchor so much better, and I think they seem to be a little quieter.

Offline Geo S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I shoot split finger with a NEET glove. I kept loosing tabs while out deer hunting.

George

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Glove only, Alaskan Super Glove ... & when my kids lose it or I forget it ,, Fingers ...

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
I started with a tab as a kid but switched over to a glove when I was about 15 years old and do prefer it.

Because of the size and shape of my hand and the fact that I shoot left handed, my wife custom makes my gloves with parts from X large and medium Martin gloves, and elastic material we buy.

I shoot split finger in the 75# range.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I shoot split finger with glove have used several like the cordura best have been using same glove over a year now.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
I've been using a damascus glove since I started shooting. Been wanting to try a tab for the first time, made a order to 3/rivers and I have a black widow tab on the way. Time will tell, I quess the one good thing, tabs are not that expensive.

Offline Scott Watkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
I started with a 3 Rivers Damascus and it is a great glove, excellent quality, if you like to feel the string.  I cant take too much of that due to finger scars etc., so I recently switched to the Alaska Bowhunters Down Under glove.  It is the same as the current Superglove, but they were closed out for $6 each. It is Cordovan which is really thick leather and keeps you from feeling the string that much.  Excellent quality also.  I dont think you could go wrong with any of these 3 choices, depending on if you like to feel the string or not.  I always feel the string plenty enough so cordovan is the only way from now on.
Scott Watkins

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Once again let me say thanks for the info. I am willing to here from any and all.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Bateman, cordovan tab I have one that is still fine and is going on 3 years old.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Bateman cordovan tab.
The type with a no pinch spacer and the leather hole...not the elastic.

I like the no pinch. I like that the tab can "flop" out of the way when I want to use my fingers for something else.

I seem to be able to shoot just as badly with either.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
I've been trying to use a tab but a glove just feels better to me.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
I started shooting target and at around 150 or more arrows per day, a glove got way too hot.
I always carry several tabs after dropping a few out of trees. I can shoot a glove just fine but am so used to a tab that I stick to it.
The Bateman tab mentioned above, neet ring tab, and homemade tabs are what I like to use. I shot for years split finger but have switched to three under about a year and a half ago. Jury is still out on that one. I feel more natural split with an anchor low on my face plus I get a quiet release.
I shoot tighter groups with three under and a high anchor but am still inconsistant with anchor placement and it is not really comfortable yet. I will stay with it till it feels good, but I could switch back someday
if this doesn't work out. My bottom finger is much better off shooting three under, it really got a work out shooting split. If you do shoot a tab try rubbing some talcum powder on it once in a while.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
Bateman cordovan tab, split for me as well. Tab has been my preference for four decades now.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Benner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I've tried gloves, but I always go back to a tab.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I shoot split finger and have primarily used a calf hair tab since the 90's. For me they are very easy to use. I can rotate it to the back of my hand when I need to use that hand to grasp something. Also, I can wear a warm glove (warm by Southern standards) on my drawing hand. This might not work for you Northern guys with your cold weather.

My only real complaint, though, regarding gloves is that in hot weather, they get too sweaty. If not for this, I probably would go back to the glove.

As for losing them, well, I have lost a lot of both tabs and gloves. When I leave home, I carry the tab I am currently using and a spare in my back quiver and a second spare in my hunting vest. There have been a couple of times that I promptly dropped the first 2 tabs out of the stand and have actually needed that 3rd tab. (Have dropped the bow a couple of times as well, but it is just too cumbersome to carry a backup bow up the tree.)
Sam

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Bare hands!   :bigsmyl:  
   :archer2:
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©