3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cedars that weigh 650+ gr?  (Read 457 times)

Offline J.Nordwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Cedars that weigh 650+ gr?
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Is this possible? I have some lodge pole pine that weigh in at 680 full length with 125 gr tips 75-80 spine. Could I get cedar in that wt close to this? Looking to keep the wt up for elk and deer hunting.
Thanks
FEAR NOTHING

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Cedars that weigh 650+ gr?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
Rare, but possible.  May be able to find some in 23/64 that heavy, or you can add a little weight to get them that heavy.  I shoot 11/32, and every now and then I can find some spined 70-75.  They still wouldn't make the weight you're looking for, however.  But, by soaking the physically heaviest shafts I can find in Watco oil for a week or so, I can usually add 50-75 grains per shaft, which will then make up into a 650 grain arrow with a head of 130-150 grains.  Should be easier to accomplish with 23/64 shafts.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »
If you are not set on cedar the split hex shafts are easy to get to 650. I get mine from Bob Burton  www.whisperingwindarrows.com   He can set you up with most any reasonable weight. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
Laminated birch does the job well for me. Darn heavy, easy to straighten, and hard to break also. As orion said, it would be difficult to get cedar that heavy unless you went up in diameter(ie. 23/64"). If you are not set on cedar, give lam birch a look. I've never tried hex shafts so I cannot comment on those. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©