3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stands  (Read 457 times)

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Stands
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Lone Wolf hand climber here
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Summits for me. Love 'em, and have several models.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Mark,

If you need to pack it in a ways you need to consider the weight.  I like the Summit stands, but think they are heavy and bulky to carry.  If you want light and want to be able to adjust the stand to the taper to the tree, then take a look at the Tibertall stands.  They are well made and sit really nice.  I have been using one for 3 years and love it.  Take a look at the trees in your area and if they get skinnier as you go up, you can't beat the ability to level out both the platform and the sitting part.

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
I picked-up a Lone Wolf climber last year and really like it. But, I am not a big guy and think it would be pretty snug if you are a big-un.

The draw back of climbers is you can't always climb THE tree. There are a lot of good lock-ons out there. For years I used a woodpecker drill & API lockons. Recently I discovered the LW hang-on and steps. Much quicker, more stable, and quieter! They are kinder to the trees too - no gouges or holes required.
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 02:33:00 AM »
I like hang ons best cause I can get above the bottom limb where deer tend to look. For a climbing stand I like my Summit Razor SS's. They are very quiet and comfortable. The bar folds down and makes shooting at closer ranges easier.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I like the Summit hang ons also (not a climber guy), but my favorite must be a Loc-on Windwalker.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Joebuck,

How does one climb with this "stand" and how can it be comfortable after hours of use?  It looks like ones legs would fall asleep and that there are limited shooting positions.  Can you please explain how you use this?

Originally posted by joebuck:
Will never go back to fix.........

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
cloud chaser, this is a Guidos Web from Guido outdoors. sort of like trophy line except it has a hard seat and molded back rest. u basically sit facing the tree. It has a metal bar that keeps you 6 inches away from tree. The pose I'm in is for a backward shot.   Go to their web site .it has a lot of info.

IMO this is the most comfortable stand I have ever sat in. It has an adjustable lumbar support and you adjust your leg height to whatever.  It also is the safest stand out there because you are strapped to the tree at all times,ascending,hunting and descending..that was very important to me having a young family and me being middle
age and fat!  down side of this side ..is the obvious.
   Hanging from a tree to hunt there is a learning
curve.......but..............I firmly believe less deer spook on me
because I'm behind the tree when they aproach. I use to set
up 15 To 20 yards from a feed tree because of detection.  
Now I setup in the acorn or persimmon tree. I can't explain
why but there is something about putting that trunk of the tree
between you and the approaching deer. I'm hunting only
about 12 feet also.. Another bonus I like about the stand is I
shoot like I practice....no bending at the waist because of
level treestand..notice how my body is a rigid T. Just like I
shootin back yard on level ground. It's really a rock solid
shooting position..it's neat...search Guido or Trophline or tree suit threads. A lot of guys on here use this system of hunting. Not for everyone but i' ll never go back

Oh I climb with stick ladders ,screw in steps, bolts etc. Normal stuff........plus I can hunt longer in the web than open fixed stand because I can SLEEP....
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline DW Dyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
I have a Summit climber without the bar in the front. It works well.

Offline Johnny UMAA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
I love the Lone Wolf stands...they are "light" and quiet!
Orig. Schafer SilverTip TD Recurve 62" 55#& 60#@29"
Schafer SilverTip TD Longbow FF 64" 50#@29"
Morrison Dakota 64" 43#@28"
Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" 50#@28"

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
I have several climbers, the Equilizer works very well for me, I have a Buckshot that I like, similar to the Eq stand but does not have the levelers..I have a Summit Goliath with an aftermarket "silentseat" hammock style seat from Hazemore Outdoor Products it will be my go to climbing stand this year. I also use ladderstands, my favorite is a 20 ft Loggy Bayou bowhunter it is no longer made, but have seen some similar looking stands for sale, I like a good sized platform and most of the cheap ladders have a tiny 10" x17"  platform, I need at least 18" x 18"..I used to use some chain on stands with climbing sticks but cant use them any more so I gave them away..we have plenty of pines,oaks and palm trees on our place so a climber works nicely.. I use the ladders alot in my good "proven" spots

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Ditched the climber a few years back.  Got really annoyed at being restricted in my choice of trees.

My Lone Wolf alpha and tree sticks get me up there faster and weigh the same as a climber.  I can use them on any tree big enough to support my not-inconsiderable weight.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline hizzoner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
lone wolf alpha but I prefer the ground..for many reasons

the tree seat is a neat concept and I have tried it but believe the tree seat was harder to stay still in for longer times compared to an old fashioned tree stand

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©