3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A week later...... the story and picture.  (Read 900 times)

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
A week later...... the story and picture.
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Well after pondering this story a week later, I have learned a couple things.

One: I won't discuss a hunt on here before it happens- it jinxes things!
Two: Never-ever-be cocky about killing something!
(those are both about me-not anyone else)

Last saturday was our deer opener here in South Florida as I posted. Swampdrummer(from Venus) and me (from Jupiter) (how funny is that!) were both on this site all excited about our chances at this newly designed early season. It was hot-did I tell you it was hot? Swampdrummer had an early morning success and I had an early morning depression that lasted for days! As I stated last week I shot a buck I had been getting pictures of all summer and had great expectations that he would show himself where I was sitting. We feeder hunt here in South Florida and he was frequenting one we call the Hog Trap. Tradgang celebrity Guru sat there in January and filmed what we believe to be this buck sparring another buck for half an hour. He has since forwarded it to me and I'm sure it's him although he was a seven pt.last season.
As the sun was coming up over the oak hammock and the therma cell was keeping the bugs at bay, I saw black figures emerging from the cypress swamp to my south. Damn hogs- now don't get me wrong-I love killin hogs with arrows-but not on opening morning of deer season! These hogs were coming in downwind, but only the really big ones in the group even hesitated and the rest kinda ignored my scent and ran to the feeder. The big ones gave the familiar danger grunt and drifted back into the swamp. So there I was watching about 10- 60 pounders devouring the morning spraying and I caught movement from the upwind side. It was him along with the 9 pt, another 8pt and a forkie.My 8pt and the forkie were still in velvet.Unusual as we have signs of the rut kicking in this week. As the bucks went behind a large, tall palmetto clump- I waved my hat at the hogs and they ran off a short distance. That's the opening the deer needed and they walked in to clean up the remnants.I had the buck I wanted at 20 yds, but I knew it would get closer so I waited-they had no idea the boogeyman was around. Now these hogs seeing the deer in there- forgot about my hat and ran back in chasing out the deer. Man, my heart sank into my stomach. Long story short- this happened 3 times! Every time the bucks were outta sight- I waved my hat- the hogs ran off and the deer came in! The last time all 4 bucks circled behind me and walked directly under my stand. Now my heart was coming out of my chest!!

Bottom line- I shot the buck at 11 yards-broadside-no excuses-I did not pick a spot. I had him on the wall already-rookie mistake-on and on.... I was sick- as soon as the arrow hit I knew it was trouble. I'm staring to bore you guys so I'll shorten up here. My son killed the 9 pointer 45 minutes later- all 3 other bucks came by him over 1/2 mile away (confirmed that distance too). He and I didn't hunt that afternoon of course and looked again Sunday morning for hours. I knew he was gonna die so we took off work on Tuesday and went back. The deer went exactly 562 yards from the shot ( Go Back gps) I thought it was further. Yesterday we went to the deer and got my arrow which was still in the bones and I mean bones. If we hadn't gone Tuesday we would not have found it-between the buzzards and varmits all that was left was the smell!! I wasn't gonna post the picture but after reviewing it- I have decided to, as it's just a reality of the situation. Believe me- I lost a lot of sleep over this deer so I was happy to recover the skull and antlers- I am doing a European mount.

Friday evening I double lunged a doe, so I felt better about my shooting and concentration. This is such a mental Sport!!!

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A week later...... the story and picture.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Wow Marty. No ground shrinkage on that one!

Your right about the mental game. I'm just figuring that out for myself.

I had too laugh at the hog story. Seems when I'm chasing deer I see hogs and vise versa. Most every time I sat for hogs this summer I'd see between 2 and 10 deer. Now that deer season has started its just about the opposite! LOL

But anyways, Congrats on a fine deer Marty. Wish for you that it would have been a better recovery but it does happen in this game.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Glad you found him, Marty!  Man that's a nice FL buck.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Whoa Marty!  That is a monster Florida buck!  Good effort on finding him.  It happens to all of us occasionally.  How in the heck did you track him that far?  Did peanut lead you too him?  That is a long ways!

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Nice deer Marty,know what you mean lost a couple before.It make you sick when you can't find them.Terry

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Great deer Marty and congrats on sticking with it through the recovery! Thanks for sharing that.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Jinx my foot.  Glad you found him, wish you could have got the meat.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Great buck Marty! Way to stick with it! Congrats!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Great buck!
Glad you found him  :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing.
Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Good job Marty,not finding them is the worst.

Nice buck!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
I understand there is only one letter difference between "Closer" and "Loser". Obviously you made yourself a Closer with your determined efforts. Most guys would have given up, especially in the 96 degree heat. Good job. UB

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Really nice buck for our neck of the woods!   :thumbsup:  
Congratulations Marty! Not just for getting him but also for having the perseverance to find him. Way to go!   :archer:

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
I appreciate you sharing. It's not always glory. Nice effort on the recovery, that what was to be found at least. We're a bit off from our opener, but your experience and honesty will help with my attitude and preparation. Thanks.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Marty all I've read about you and after meeting you at the PBS Nashville event I know that your friends give you all kinds of hell (and you give it back) and you're a stand up guy. In that heat with that determination to find an animal you know you killed just forms up the latter. Way to stay with it and close the circle. Way to go on the doe, too  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Good on you!

Getting one clean kill can make all the difference in how the rest of your season goes. The meat ain't too shabby neither..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Robert Marvin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
where did you hit him?

Offline xroadshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Awesome Florida buck Marty!

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
Nice buck. Glad you were able to recover the rack at least.
Congrats
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline BigStriper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Marty that's a Real Nice Buck,Congratulations on hanging in there and finding him,Glad you got your Doe,

Kurt

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Very nice buck Marty!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©