3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wooden Arrows and 3-D Targets  (Read 361 times)

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
Wooden Arrows and 3-D Targets
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I just recently recieved some wooden arrow and they shoot great.  Shot one into my deer target and the 160 grain field tip came off.  I was able to retrieve the field tip but it got me to thinking about targets and wooden arrows.  Are there any targets out there that aren't quite so tuff on wooden arrows?
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wooden Arrows and 3-D Targets
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Sometimes the glue just fails.I have found in the past that Ferr-l-lite becomes too brittle,may hold good at first but the nwext year it would fail.Maybe the point wasn't cleaned good when the points were installed? What I did with my points was to take a NPT 1/16-27 pipe tap and tap some threads in the point to give it some teeth.Then clean the point with alcohol and use a white colored hot melt,it was stronger and didn't become too brittle.I didn't loose anymore points in a target with the proper prep.And also I carried a bar of soap and rubbed it on the arrow end for easier target removal,I shot heavier bows and was harder to pull arrows.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I shoot wood arrows into 3d targets all the time. It is very rare that my points come off in the target, even when I used a 65lb bow.
Personally, I use epoxy for tips. Regardless of what glue is used proper prep is crucial. The best glue out there won't adhere to an oily tip.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
yep, the arrow heats up going into the target and if the glue is the least bit brittle it will fail
Bob L

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
I have been shooting wood arrows for over 2 years.  I think I have lost only 3 - 4 points because of the hot melt 'giving way' while pulling arrows from 3-d foam targets.

I use the generic white hot melt glue sticks you can get from any hobby store.  Cheap and works almsot 100% of the time.... for me anyway.

Cleaning the inside of the heads well before installation has to help.  I would think any oily or dust residue would help interfere with the glue bond.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Clean the points good and use epoxy. You can heat the points and remove them for reuse. I break a lot of arrows so this is important..........James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
I use multi-temp glue stick hobby glue. The only time points came off is when I shoot a arrow that was 2 years old since I changed tips.

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
I have had better luck with the rinehart targets all in all they are great targets and with my woods I have not lost one tip in them yet.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
also before you glue the tips,roll up some sand paper and run it inside the tip.scuff it up and it will hold.i use ferr-l-tite and the only heads that came off is when the arrow snapped in half.lots of luck,steve

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
You will lose a few points shooting woodies, but that's no big deal. Just keep a few extra points on hand. Its not the targets that are tough on wood arrows, but watch out for the trees.
Sam

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
clean points,and use epoxy.had same trouble with hot melt.epoxy is great for broadheads also.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
you must get them hot enough to burn the oil off. If all else fails, you can pin them, but as stated above, if your taper is correct and you get the oil off, the glue will hold.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I also do what seabass said.  Works great.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
i shoot wood arrows all the time at 3d at was having the same problem. but then i started using super glue. tough stuff. and i dont think i have lost one that i have switched yet. i use Locktite er however its spelled.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
John Nail nailed it. Burn the oil off, put the point on HOT with pressure, and quench the tip in cold water as soon as it sets enough to hold the tip in place when you take the pressure off. I use ferr-l-tite and haven't lost a point in a target in years.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the tips! I'll be picking up some of glue and alcohol today.  As far as epoxy goes, would JB Weld work?  Or would it put to much weight up front?  If so, then I might just go by the hoby store and get some hot glue.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Ferrel cement(Used for fishing rod tips) after the head is cleaned well,and spin the arrow in the head to spread the glue.I havnt had any come off yet.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I use Ferrule Tite on mine and I try to give them a little twist as I pull it out.  Of course the guys who are pulling your arrows don't do that.  I rarely loose points.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©