3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf short climbing sticks?  (Read 294 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf short climbing sticks?
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with these short climbing sticks?  I have a number of portable stands that I bought over the years.  However, I have pretty much quit buying them because every year I have them stolen.  Now what I normally do is prepare a bunch of trees during the offseason and I carry in my Lone wolf stand each hunt.  I currently use screw steps...but multiple times each season..I find myself wanting to quickly move to another tree.  Screw steps just are not that fast when doing this.  I have always liked the idea of climbing sticks, but never wanted to carry the longer ones with me too often.  Now they have these short ones that are only like 24 inches long.  With 4 or 5 of these I figured I could get to a decent hight, and they would litterally fit inside my day pack wich I carry on nearly every hunt.  Anyone out there use them?

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf short climbing sticks?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I did last season.  I would recommend the full length ones.  Minis travel well by only get you about 12-14 ft up.  You would need at least four of them to get near 20 ft and more to go over.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Yea...I figured I would need four of them for sure.  I just thought they looked like they would be much easier to transport than the full length ones.  I have never used climbing sticks of any kind.  Just screw steps!

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Joh,
I use the full length ones that stack together as one unit, and have a cinch strap that holds them together. The sticks then fit solidly into the v-bracket on the stand and can be backpacked in very easily.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
jon,
We use the woodpecker drill and grade 8 bolts if we are not in our Summit Vipers. I carry 16-18 bolts and can hold everything I need to climb in one hand ! Once you drill a tree you can hunt it the whole season by just slipping your bolts back in and up ya go. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Jon,
I have used the old Simmons drill & bolts like NoCams mentioned for years. When my son got old enough to go I bought a set of the LW steps and love 'em. They are a lot less work (and getting sweaty) and are safer to climb for a youngster. I did by an extra and use 4 sections. They are quiet and easy to use, stable, and quiet.

Worth a look for sure.

Dr. J
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
John,

I like the small Lone Wolf steps.  I have both.  YOU are young and agile...stretch out the first step a lot and put a good space between each step and you will get further with 4 minis than 3 standards.  I added a loop of climbing rope to the bottom of each of the minis, almost doubling their length so I can get the height without the weight.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Also, the minis stack and pack just as the standards do.  Lone Wolf gear is VERY well thought out stuff.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
I am with Steve on this.I tend to be more radical than most guys when using sticks or steps.I am not young but am still limber and fit.I space em out quite a bit.I dont use steps anymore.I have not for quite a few years.

4 of these lone wolf minis will get you up plenty high.They are real space savers and will pack very well no doubt!Perfect for deep woods stands and elk wallows etc.

If you can do chinups easily and are stretched out and reasonably nimble they would not be an issue for you IMO.Ofcourse I am always methodical,focused and extra aware of what I am doing when hanging sticks,stands and ascending or desending a tree.

I responded to your PM John with additional info.

For me ideally i think someone would come up with some sticks that are about 25-26 inches.Strapped to a stand on your back they would ride just above the top of your butt (so your not banging you glutes into them while walking) without sticking up above most guys head to become tankled in low hanging limbs and brush etc.Most are to long for my liking.My 28 inchers work very well.Thier almost perfect overall.Just a tad long maybe.

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Look at the Muddy Outdoors sticks. Easier to put up and shorter than the Lonewolf sticks. A 4 pack will get you the same height as 3 Lonewolf sticks.
Keith Karr

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Jon-

I am 50 this year and also hunt completely portable. . . a turkey vest with all my gear along with the LW and sticks on my back gets me anywhere.  I move often as necessary.  I do carry 4 sticks sometimes- but typically two tree steps and three sticks get me up to 16 feet pretty easily.

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©