3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does the ACCUSHARP Work Better than the Others?  (Read 161 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Does the ACCUSHARP Work Better than the Others?
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:02:00 AM »
Hey all,

Over the years I have read a lot of comments about how well the Accusharp hand held sharpener works on knives and broadheads.  Not too long ago I was out at the local hardware and seen a Smiths product that does the same thing.  It's a smaller, black piece that has both the carbide and steel "v" grooves for sharpening.  I tried it on both knives and a broadhead and didn't notice much improvement at all.  So I started wondering if all these carbide type gizmos are the same or are some better than the others.

The first one I thought of was the Accusharp.  Can you all tell me if this model does work better than the other sharpeners of this type?  What kind of luck have you had with it?  I am wanting it for use on Bear Greenies and probably some of the newer Bear 2 blade heads that I have.  I can get the Greenies pretty sharp with a file, but I can't get them as sharp as they need to be.  That's why I am looking at this Accusharp.  If it works great then I'll certainly pick one up.  I would much rather take a broadhead and pass it through the Accusharp a couple times on each side and shave hair than sit with a file for 30 minutes and only get 1/2 way there.  That's not to mention how light and portable they are for use in the field.

So what do you think about the Accusharp?  Worth having for B-Heads and knives or not?

Another thing, I have also seen these same type sharpeners, the carbide "V" groove, on HIGHER priced models.  3 Rivers sells one that is near $25 or so, Alaska Bowhunting sells one that looks really nice and it is supposed to sharpen Woodsman heads too and it runs right at $30.  I'm sure you all have seen these other types of V Groove Carbide sharpeners that are pretty pricey.  What do you all think of those?  Are they better than the Accusharp?  Are they worth the extra money that you have to pay to have one?

I'd like to head your thoughts on those too, if you don't mind sharing them.

So, go with the Accusharp, one of the fancier, more expensive versions, or ditch them all?

Thanks for your help and time.

Nalajr

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does the ACCUSHARP Work Better than the Others?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
I have both and the Accu works way better.  I am not sure why because they seem very similar in principle but the Accu is way better than the Smith IMO.  As far as the other ones available through 3 Rivers or Alaska Bowhunter I have no experience at all.  I have used the Accu on Bear Greenies with great results too.  Just know these things eat steel and will make short work of a Old Bear razorhead so go easy - so you do not take to much steel off.  
Bob Urban

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
I have used the ACCUSHARP and the small 3Rivers style. I have found the Accusharp to be superior.

Offline LeverActionman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
I have had a accu-sharp for about 10 years and it has worked great.Sharpened many of knives and broadheads but it does do away with the metal if you put pressure on it.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
I don't know if it works  better  than the others, I haven't tried all the others.

But I do like the fact that one can remove the carbide blades and flip them over for more use.
Some places carry extra blades too.

I use the Accusharp to quickly re-sharpen Bear Razorheads on my small game arrows, after shooting tree rats. It gets the heads 'sharp enough' for this application. It's small sized and affordable, I do recommend it for something that does not require the utmost keen edge.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Don't know about better, but it works.  Go lightly.
ChuckC

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Yes the key to the Accusharp is to go lightly.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
The wheel sharpener(Simmons Broadheads) is a similar principle and gets my knives/broadheads rediculously sharp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©