3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Some SPECIFIC broadhead questions  (Read 923 times)

Offline Brian Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Some SPECIFIC broadhead questions
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
First off, I apologize for even asking about broadheads, as I've read every post on hear and there is a lot of good advice already.  However, I still can't decide what to get.  I have some very specific questions that maybe some of you more experienced hunters can answer.  But first, I will tell you my set up so you have a reference point:

I am shooting a Quinn Stallion that measures 51 pounds at my 28.5" draw length.  I shoot 2016s with 145gn points that weight right around 500gns total.  The chronograph at the range says these arrows fly right around 170fps.

Also, for reference, I hunt whitetails in Minnesota.  I hunt from Sept. through Dec.

Oh, one more thing...I'm primarily interested in GLUE-ON heads.  

Questions:

-When looking at 2 blade heads, should I be concerned with WIDTH?  This is the thing I think about most.  My thoughts are that wider would be better, but might give me flight issues if too wide (Zwickey Delta).

-I really like what I read about Simmons heads...exept that they may be harder to sharpen, especially in the field.  Should I be concerned about the sharpen-ability of these heads?

-Will the Simmons fly better than the Delta's, or is that primarily a question of tuning?

-I really want to use Snuffers, as I like the idea of a large head with a lot of cutting surface.  However, I'm not sure if my rig has enough energy to get killing penetration.  Thoughts?

-What do you upper midwest deer hunters use for broadheads?

-Finally:  I'm overthinking this, aren't I?

Thanks,

Brian Stewart

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some SPECIFIC broadhead questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
The Simmons fly better than most any head in there size class because of there design.They are wide but have less surface area to plane in the wind.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
use the magnus 145gr 2blade they fly great out of my almost exact setup as yours and have not had a problem with penetration  and once you get them sharp they hold an edge really well

jmo
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
No you aren't overthinking it, most guys don't give it enough thought and just use heads, based on what their buddy uses, whats on sale, what some famous guy endorses etc.. I believe we should pick our heads based on our bow and arrow set-up and what the largest animal we are likly to get a shot at. You have it pretty easy, since you are only using one set-up and know exactly what animals you are going to shoot. Ideally your arrow would get full penetration and just fall out the farside with the biggest hole possible. If your arrow is burying itself two feet in the ground on the farside, that is just wasted energy, if it isn't giving an exit wound than it isn't giving enough penetration. ANY broadhead will fly fine, IF it is on straight AND the arrow is tuned for good flight. Yes you should be concerned with width, the wider the head, the more it cuts, BUT also the more resistance to penetration, the angle of the blades also figures in, the sharper the angle, the more resistance also. Straight edges on broadheads are the easiest to sharpen and two blades are easier than three. Snuffers are great heads, they cut a huge hole, but they also have a lot of resistance to penetration, due to; being very wide, having three blades, the blades are at a sharp angle and it is vented. Vented heads tend not to penetrate as well as nonvente ones. I personally wouldn't use the Snuffers with your setup. I have killed a lot on animals with the two and four blade Zwickey Deltas and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one. The two blades are much easier to sharpen.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
I think any of the better brand named two blades would work fine for you.  Magnus and Zwickey are two that I have used and think highly of.  If you want a three blade, don't be afraid to look at the Woodsman.  I have used it a bit this past year and like the way it flies and the way it cuts.  They penetrate well.   I think the wider heads could cause more flight difficulty if you do not tune the arrows and bow well.  I have personally seen some take off during my early years, but that was then.

I would try some Simmons heads myself if they didn't cost so darned much.  There have been a ton of deer killed with all kinds of heads for years and years.  There is not one out there that is so much better than the rest as to make it a "must have " item.  My opinion.....

ChuckC

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
Yep...Your over thinking it...LOL

I have tried many heads and weights throughout the years and have taken Whitetails with all of them, most being two blade 125 grain heads.  All my bows have been between 58-lbs and 41-lbs at 26 inches, with the last two taken with the 41@26 setup.  Any sharp two blade that flies straight with your release/arrow setup, placed in the right spot will take game.  I wouldn't worry about the width.  

last year I used a 100 grain 4 blade Muzzy and both were pass throughs at 12 and 18 yards.  This upcoming season I plan to use the 145 grain 4 blade Muzzy.

From my experience's with Whitetails, shot placement is the most important factor given a head is sharp.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
im here to tell you that the tusker concorde is your broadhead.  They are the easiest to sharpen once you get the bevel ground on the head.  They are super performers, and you can get them in a heavier head if need be.  I will be shooting the tusker concorde for sure this season.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
First off, Just because a head is wider than another or vented or whatever design, doesn't mean it's going to "wind plane" or not. You can shoot Delta's or Magnus 1 and have it shoot like a field point if the setup is tuned and the point spins true. If it's windy when you are shooting, any head will be affected. Shoot what you can tune for, get them good and sharp, and go hunt.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
P.S., over thinking things is what got us to the moon and back.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Questions:

-When looking at 2 blade heads, should I be concerned with WIDTH? This is the thing I think about most. My thoughts are that wider would be better, but might give me flight issues if too wide (Zwickey Delta).

-I really like what I read about Simmons heads...exept that they may be harder to sharpen, especially in the field. Should I be concerned about the sharpen-ability of these heads?

-Will the Simmons fly better than the Delta's, or is that primarily a question of tuning?

-I really want to use Snuffers, as I like the idea of a large head with a lot of cutting surface. However, I'm not sure if my rig has enough energy to get killing penetration. Thoughts
Wider IS better. The Magnus I or Zwickey Delta are great, big, double hole producing heads when used in a perfectly tuned bow and arrow.

Sharpenability is important stuff. There are several methods of getting the Simmons heads razor sharp.

Perfectly tuned equiptment is always the key to accurate shooting and deep penetration.

If all you presently intend to shoot is deer,then stick a 125 grain Snuffer on the end of your arrows and have at it. I'd rather have one big hole than two little slits anyday.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Questions:

If all you presently intend to shoot is deer,then stick a 125 grain Snuffer on the end of your arrows and have at it. I'd rather have one big hole than two little slits anyday. [/b]
that one would depend on wether you hunt from a tree or ground
from the ground 1 big hole on the side of the animal is fine but if you are hunting from a tree 1 hole in the top of the back isn't going to do you very much good, it would be dead but wether you found it or not is the problem.

with that said i bet the snuffer should do you fine. and you with good tuning and arrow flight you probably would get 2 holes more times than not.
now if you want to go conservative i would shoot the wensels. or the razorcaps either one is perfect for deer.
if you still want to shoot a 2 blade i would use something with bleeders. like a zwickey, magnus stinger or phantom.
i am going to try to shoot a big sasquatch this year, its a wide stainless two blade but still has bleeders. i am hoping it will give me the best of both worlds, two big holes.

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by NY Yankee:
P.S., over thinking things is what got us to the moon and back.
Yea...But this isn't rocket science.  More animals have been killed with stone points than metal I would bet.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Charlie,

How did I KNOW you were gonna say those words??  :bigsmyl:
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline Brian Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice thus far, I appreciate it greatly.

I've heard the "one big hole" theory before, and it makes sense to me.

I've been hunting from the ground only since I took up the bow.  Last season I saw quite a few deer within my range, but the shot just never presented itself.  I even have my father, a diehard treestand hunter, going nuts building groundblinds all over his property.  He saw a huge buck on his farm while sitting on the ground.

So, I really don't have the desire to climb trees at this point.  I've really been enjoying still hunting and hunting from groundblinds.

Again, thanks for the great advice.  I will take it under consideration and look forward to any other insights any of you have.

Brian Stewart

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
Brian, for what my opinion is worth, I have shot 2 blades for a long time over 30 years, they will work fine, but this year I put a 2 blade through a deer, both lungs, went out the other side, It was a nice mule deer, 6x4 In the evening he really took off didn,t mess with him left and went a got my brother to help pack him out, came back with lights found my cedar arrow he was in praire grass, no blood what so ever we looked until late that night, My brother found him at 1:00 the next day already bloated, I was sick lost all confidence with 2 blades where as last was the first I ever lost, Bought some snuffers the last one I shot with the snuffer you didn,t have to worry about a blood trail, am I afraid of the two blades, no I think it was a freak deal, that deer went over 1/2 mile with both lungs shot, The blood trail is what bothered me. Go with the snuffers and you should be fine.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
Have you read Ed Ashby's test reports, found on this forum? You asked what time it is, and he has told you how the watch works.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
I've tracked a lot of animals, shot with two blades, two blades with bleeders, three blades and four blade heads, I've seen excellent to non-exsistant blood trails with all of them. The most important thing is a very sharp head in the right place. The next most important thing is getting an exit hole, two blood trails are much easier to follow than one and in the case of treestand or downhill shots, the exit wound may be the ONLY blood trail. The nest important thing is the wound channel, the bigger it is the more blood vessels cut, the least important thing is the number of blades, some big two blades have just as much cutting surface as some of the smaller three and four blade heads.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
I agree with Rick.Two holes is always better and the bigger you can make them is best.   :)   I shoot the Simmons because it gives me two holes on pare with a snuffer and I can do it with a lot less horsepower.I would not shoot a smaller two blade unless I was hunting something pretty tough.The woodsman works as well as most of the small ones and puts a bit more blood on the ground when you are just shooting deer and hogs.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Brian Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Well, I might have to scrounge up the money to buy a couple different style heads and try them both!

Much appreciated advice, Thanks.

Brian Stewart

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©