3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Pack for Elk Hunting - Updated with Super Spike pics Pg 3  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
New Pack for Elk Hunting - Updated with Super Spike pics Pg 3
« on: August 12, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
On my recent Wyoming elk scouting trip I had the opportunity to put a new pack through the paces and give it a good field test.  

As you may know, Eberlestock makes some great hunting packs, and they have been some of the most popular ones that I sell.  Unfortunately, they had a warehouse fire last winter, and the most popular model - the X2 - has not been available until now.  I finally received a shipment just in time for my western trip.

The good news is that during the wait the X2 pack has been redesigned to incorporate new features that makes it an even better pack for the type of hunting that I do.  Some of the new features are a better suspension system and upgraded waist belt, and most importantly to me, a rigid light weight frame that gives the pack the ability to handle heavy loads extremely well.

One lesson I learned long ago in the mountains is to be prepared to be successful.  The last thing you want to do when you get an animal on the ground miles away from the truck is to have to hike back to retrieve a pack frame.  I want the ability to haul a good load of meat out on my first trip out, and this X2 pack can do that very well.

I also like to carry a fair amount of gear with me when I hunt the mountains.  Lots of water.  Food, emergency supplies, and meat processing gear are always with me.  Add rain gear and other miscellaneous gear and pretty soon you find yourself carrying a fair amount of weight.  I want a pack that can do that without a lot of strain on my shoulders.

The new frame system on the X2 distributes the weight of a heavy load extremely well.  One afternoon I loaded the pack up with 55# of rocks and carried it up and down the mountain and all the way back to camp.  I was really impressed with how it balanced the load between my shoulders and hips comfortably.

Here is a look at the frame system.

A large center compartment provides plenty of storage for bulky items, and the two side bat wing compartments are great for smaller items and are both hydration compatible.

The wide shoulder straps distribute the weight well and offer two separate adjustments to level the load.  

Internal pockets on each side compartment are perfect for a spotting scope and tripod.

External compression straps and multiple attachment points allow a load of meat to be strapped to the outside of the pack easily.

The pack rides great on my back and allowed me to slip easily through the tight stuff while ducking under limbs or squeezing between trees.

Overall, I am very impressed with the new X2 pack, and it will be on my back on a daily basis next month.  I'm hoping to add a picture showing it carrying a large quarter of elk next time instead of having a bunch  of rocks stuffed inside!   :pray:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Pack for Elk Hunting - Updated with Super Spike pics Pg 3
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I used the X2 last year for Elk Hunting and it is the best pack I have ever used and I have tried a bunch of them.
     The X2 has lots of pockets and I really like the way it rides with a load.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
That looks really nice, a lot of pack in a compact package.
Grand Mesa Bowmen

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Hi Mark,
   Yea that was another thing that sold me on the X2 it doesn't get in your way and you can shoot with the pack on and hardly notice it's there.
PBS Associate

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
Joe, why did you have to go and show me that ?  

I like the design, am a huge fan of a single large top opening compartment, especially one that can spread or be extended up to allow me to insert a fair amount of meat for the first pack out.  I have an awesome pack (another brand) currently, but it is pretty heavy even empty.  

I guess I need to take a look at that one later.
ChuckC

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Great!  Now I have to upgrade my X2 to the new model...  :(   Joe you didn't tell me they were coming out with a better model...LOL

The X2 is a great pack for all the reasons mentioned above and more.  It will be with me for the elk season coming up and looking forward to seeing what it can do!  Hopefully I can try it out on the first meat haul to the truck!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
I was seriously considering that model. I was able to pick up a Badlands 2200 cheaper than I could imagine so that's what I'm using now. The X2 is a great looking pack, very well designed it seems.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Been eagerly awaiting the release of this pack,
those are some great pics of the pack.

Definately my next pack.

Thanks for posting.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
That is a nice one. We need to talk maybe I can come and see you while you are up there we will be there the same time.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I love eberlestock.  I have the blue widow and it is very versatile!  I can use as a day pack or open it up for a ton more of storage space.  Carrys a load great too!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
I have the "old model" of X2. Can't see that I need to upgrade. I love that pack!....so much that I just bought a Blue Widow. That pack has it all! If I were to design a pack with the features I want it would be the Blue Widow. I bought the Spike Duffel bag for it. That way when I get back into where I want to make camp to hunt from I can just pull the duffel out, zip up the middle, and the pack goes from 4200 cu in down to 2200 cu in for a day hunting pack. Perfect! So, far I've only put 60 lbs in it. It will handle a lot more than that...I don't know if I will though...haha
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Randy, that would be great if we can get together.  We'll keep in touch.  :thumbsup:  

Snag, you're sure right about the Blue Widow.  For a do-it-all pack that makes a great one, and is what I have been carrying the past couple of years.  It would be my first choice if I could only have one pack.  (I'm lucky to not be in that position though  ;)  )
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
I will be using the X2 for day hunts off a road and even overnighters. But if you plan on going back in for several days that Blue Widow is the pack handle that assignment.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
whip...what the hell ya doin packin rocks around buddy? ya think yer a dumptruck or somethin?   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
oh.....nice pack brother and good luck on your trip.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by PAPA BEAR:
whip...what the hell ya doin packin rocks around buddy? ya think yer a dumptruck or somethin?    :readit:    :pray:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
lol....get em bro.

Offline Hess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
Whip,

What a great pack, just make sure it is riding a bit lower to accomodate any loads (based on your picture).  It looks like it is wrapped around your stomach and that pack will do so much better around your pelvis...best of luck.

EH

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
Whip does the X2 have a pocket for easy accessability for a water bottle? I know the bladders are all the rage, but every one I've evr owned ended up leaking. Right now I have the Badlans 2800, and although a good pack, there is no where to put a water bottle for easy access. That X2 might be next years pack. It's a little late for a new one this year. Good luck in WY!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Steadman, as you can see in picture 5 there are two mesh deep outside pockets that hold water bottles really nicely.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©