3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Pack for Elk Hunting - Updated with Super Spike pics Pg 3  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Pack for Elk Hunting - Updated with Super Spike pics Pg 3
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Talondale:
Whip,
  How would you rate this compared to the 2800?
Chuck, The 2800 has more capacity for carrying items.  It has larger side compartments and the seperate lower compartment.  But I personally think that the X2 makes a better meat carrying pack because of the way the straps are set up to be able to lash a quarter to the outside of the pack.  

So it all depends on exactly how you want to use the pack.  For extended trips the 2800 will carry a larger load.  But for a daypack with the ability to haul meat as well the X2 seems about perfect.

Badlands also just came out with a new pack called the Sacrifice.  I just received my first shipment of those and took one out of the package this morning.  I will try to get some pictures together and post a review of that one as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Mine showed up in the mail today, and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement.  It can be cinched down to make a very nice sized day pack that would allow you to carry a substantial load out on your first trip, or expanded quite large.  I would have no trouble doing three days with this pack.  Thanks again, Joe.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
I have an older X2 and really like it, in fact I carried it for a month in Australia this July-------but for this elk season I was going to strap it to a Dwight Schuh frame to take a little more weight off my shoulders, as the waist belt doesn't really do much.

The new design might have eliminated the need for me to do that, with the redesigned waist belt. Since they are made right here in Boise (A stones throw from Horseshoe Bend), I may have to check one of the new ones out!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Whip, like you, I didn't even think about using the duffel with the X2...sure works though!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Just got my X2 and duffel from Whip.  Can't wait to give it a work out.

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
ignore me

Mick

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Hey Guys ,Let us know how this pack works out for you.Alot of us really interested.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Well, I bought a new one this weekend to see if it was actually better than the original style. It definitely is.

It's a good thing I bought it too, as one of my llamas injured his foot this weekend while we were packing in our elk camp. That meant that I had to carry my 12' x 12' Alaknak tent all the way up to camp, which took four hours. It would have been a real pain with the original style, but I lashed it to the top of the new one and it was a comfortable carry all the way. It was a steep climb, but comfortable. The frame really makes a difference, evenly distributing the weight so that it is not all on your shoulders.

This new design will pack antlers and elk quarters with ease. No worries.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
I just spent the last three days hunting elk while wearing my newX2. It has a problem-----the straps that attach the frame to the pack started squeaking loudly when I am hiking and especially when I am drawing my bow.

I tried putting some vaseline on in straps where they wrap around the frame while I was in camp, but that didn't work. It squeeks far too loud to ever be able to draw a bow on a bull without him hearing it.

Will try to figure out a fix.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Rik,
After reading your post, I loaded mine up and discovered you are correct.  I think I might try to wrap some mole skin or something around the frame where the straps wrap/rub.  I love the pack.  There's a way around this.  Let me know if you come up with something.
Julian

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Hmm, I hadn't experienced that on my trial run, but sure will be paying attention to it.  Are you talking about the straps that wrap around the frame in the middle or around the bottom?  Or the top pocket that the frame nests in?

I just loaded three gallon jugs of water in mine and couldn't get it to make any noise.  But I did wrap the lower part of the frame with some foam and electrical tape to add a little cushioning.  Maybe that's why mine isn't making noise?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Rik, Duckbutt, Whip,

I was just looking on the Eberlestock website and they have a fix for the x2 "squeak". It looks like you just have to change the way the straps are around the frame. It is in the x2 section above the video of the x2. click on the yellow bar on "how to rig the x2". Good luck.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
Thanks Steve!  That is an easy fix.  I think I'll still wrap something around the frame where the strap contacts it just to be safe, but that should take care of it.
Here is the link to the Eberlestock fix:
 http://www.eberlestock.com/X2%20Frame%20Wrap%20Fix.pdf
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Thanks Gents!!!!

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I will try the fix from the website above, but I don't think it will totally solve the problem.

I seem to be getting most of the noise from the pocket at the top where the frame is velcroed in, and at the bottom where the frame is held to the pack. Right now none of my side straps are even attached, and I am still getting the squeeking.

This morning I tried wrapping some polar fleece around the top and bottom of the frame, it helped but did not completely eliminate it. I will try Whip's idea this evening.

Running out of time though, I am loading up the llamas tomorrow night for another go at the elk.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I didn't find that the website fix is the answer.  I ended wrapping the frame in camp with shelf velcro material at all the contact points with the straps.  15 mins and $5 bucks....problem solved.  Otherwise, this pack was PERFECT for a go light extended backcountry hunt when coupled with the spike duffel.  I had a heavier hauler pack in the truck in case we got meat but otherwise, I'll need to look no further than this system.  Daypack to extended stay gear hauler....performed beautifully.  Thanks Whip!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Iagree with you - it needs more than just the fix on the website. I'm guessing that a powder coated paint on the frame would be a better solution for Eberlestock, but the wrapping does do the trick.

This pack has been on my back continuously for the past three weeks and I'm very happy with it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
I used the X2 pack (not the newer version) this year and was flat amazed at its performace.  I bought it with the idea I could pack the first load of meat out if I was successful.  Well I was, and loaded it with the backstraps, tenderloins, and a front shoulder on the first trip out.  All I can say is WOW!  It was rock solid and handled the weight just fine!
I can only imagine how the new frame would do.  Highly recommended!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I agree as well.  I just got in from 10 days of wearing this pack for at least 10 hours/day.  It did not creak or squeak all of the time and was never really loud and noisy.  But when you are calling and listening for a faint response it is a little distracting.  I tried the strap adjustment fix and it helped to a degree.  Load weight and distribution, as well as temperature and moisture, seemed to influence the creaking. In my case I have isolated the noise to the straps and bag connection around the bottom of the frame bar.  I'm going to wrap or pad it as soon as I get the pack emptied and I hope this fixes it.

Except for the little noise this pack was terrific.  I carried a lot of gear/water/food in it every day and often changed the main compartment load depending on conditions for the day hunt.  I was really counting on the vented back and was not disappointed.  When dressed very light I could feel the breeze across my back and when dressed heavy I did not perspire as I usually do.  It was very comfortable and I each time I lifted it to put it on I couldn't believe how much weight I was carrying, but I never noticed it on my back, honestly.  The ability to lash large loads was great and the "seat" flap actually kept my butt dry a few times.  And all the contents stayed dry during a 3 hour solid rain.

This may sound like a gushing endorsement but it is only because I am very happy with the pack.  Everyone in camp tried it on and checked it out thoroughly without prompting from me.  I think there will be two or three more purchased pretty soon, one by the outfitter/guide.

"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Forester:
The ability to lash large loads was great and the "seat" flap actually kept my butt dry a few times.
I can confirm that function as well.   :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©