3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Pack for Elk Hunting - Updated with Super Spike pics Pg 3  (Read 2543 times)

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Pack for Elk Hunting - Updated with Super Spike pics Pg 3
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Guess I lucky I got one when they first came out and after two hunting seasons I have never heard mine make any noise.It has been a great pac.

Offline Bugle1N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
I got one of the new models before archery season as well.  It is one awesome pack.  Well made and thought out.  It did squeak, but that will be fixable.  Really can not say enough about this pack for a first load type pack.  It is a bit stiff for me for shooting, but very do-able if you need to.  I did not have much trouble getting to the my water in the side pouch- good thing as I seem not to prefer hydration systems.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
I've been packin' approximately 32 lbs the last 3 days - sun up 'til sun down - in my *new* RANGER-colored X2.

It has been deadly silent the entire time (I did adjust the frame straps as instructed on the Eberlestock site) and rock solid.

On top of that, I think that I should start getting commissions because at least 2 guys I know will be purchasing X2s after checking mine out.

It is a great tool!  I recommend it.

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
PROBLEM SOLVED.

I removed the metal frame and sprayed it with Rustoleum's bed liner spray (like Rhino lining,) The hard, rough texture seems to have eliminated the squeaking noises caused by the straps.

With luck, i will be using the X2 to pack out a mule deer in about two weeks when the archery season opens.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
I haven't used the X2, but got my first taste of an Ebrlestock pack this year.  I used it on two hunts, and I can say based on almost 25 years of backcountry hunting experience, that bar none (and this includes packs from the backpacking industry--Gregory, Osprey etc.) that this pack has the most comfortable suspension system I've ever used.  My last trip with this pack, I carried out a bear and my camp in one trip for 5 miles, 117 pounds.  Jelly legs, but the pack handled the load without issue and I didn't even get any rub spots.  Any other pack and I'm sure it would have been two loads.

Offline Tiburon2112

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Eberlestock Packs rules! I use the G4 Phantom to conceal precision long rifles during field activities.  At 5000ci, the G4 is a premier gear/weapon transportation solution for operators.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
I have read this thread,and just got the Eberlestock X2 pack.  I was wondering what all owners of the X2 pack have done and think is the best to make the pack as quiet as possible.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
ttt
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
Now that I've put several miles on this pack I'll give my review.  I bought this from Whip and his service was great.  I also bought the buckle replacement kit (about 6 different buckles) so that I can make repairs in the field if a buckle fails or I smash it in the door or tailgate.  

My initial thoughts on first receiving the pack was that it was well constructed.  The material is soft and quiet, doesn't make the nylon "zipping" noise when you run your fingernails across it that even some brushed materials make.  Speaking of zippers, the zippers are nice waterproof (except zippered waist pockets) zippers that open and close smoothly and quietly.  The waistbelt zippers have large finger ring pulls to help open them since they can be difficult to get to when closed and behind you.  There are plenty of pockets and areas to store things.  I can reach back and get things out of the side mesh pockets (like trim shears).  There's also plenty of lash points everywhere, something my last pack was missing and my biggest complaint with that old pack.  The side pocket holds my Platypus Big Zip 2.0L with room to spare, or my Nalgene bottle (for sports drink mixes or filtration).  I have a 19" torso, as measured by the pack device at Gander, and this pack fits nicely length-wise.  The top sits below my shoulders, I know some don't like that for use of load adjusters but for a day pack with the lighter weights I'll usually be carrying I kind of prefer that for maneuverability.  It rides nice and stays out of my way for shooting.  I was able to stuff all my calls, decoys, extra clothes, and carry a 19# tom this past turkey season, no problem.  The mesh back and air space does help keep my back cooler on these summer hikes.  As far as cons: First off I have the creaking problem, bad.  The pack creaks every step.  It's not coming from the adjustable strap as described on Eberlestock website but from the bottom web sling that acts as a pocket for the frame.  If I hold the strap taut while walking it silences the issue.  I plan on getting some friction tape to wrap the frame in but haven't done that yet. Other than that I'd say the waist belt seems to be the biggest weakness.  It's well padded and has pockets but I seem to have a problem keeping it tight on my (hopefully shrinking 34") waist.  It's got lots (too much?) of strap on both sides but it seems I'm always trying to cinch it up tighter to keep the weight riding on my hips rather then my shoulders, don't know if that's because the back area where the sides of the belt hinge is too wide.  Just seems the first time I put it on I have to adjust the waist back down and again later as I'm hiking from time to time.  It also tends to push my pants down around my waist if I'm not wearing a belt, which seems to indicate it's riding a little high.  The other complaint I have is the pockets on the waist belt could stand to be gusseted a little more, perhaps only 1".  It's a tight fit to even put a pocket camera in and out of them, which would be where I'd want it, even getting my slim phone out can be somewhat difficult.  This will be where I store my flashlight, compass, and calls come elk season, it's too small for the topo map.

All-in-all it's a solid pack and I look forward to using it for years to come.  I've been weighing it down with weights but hope to give a report on how it packs elk out later this fall.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
I finally modified the frame with friction tape and although it resolved the creak I wouldn't advise this route for fixing it.  The tacky nature of the friction tape made it difficult for the frame to slide into the frame straps as intended.  If I rework this sometime I may use athletic tape or something else with less grip.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
I just got the X2 with a spike duffle (not the super spike)intended for a 3 day or so spike camping and could not be more pleased. Stand by for the full review in September.

It gives me 3700 cu. in. I believe (1800 cu. in as a day pack without the duffle AND can pack the first quarter out).  Plus about a million places to strap things outside the pack.  Just wish I would have found this post before I ordered from another supplier.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Just added a review of the X2 / Super Spike Duffel based on my elk hunt experience last month.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=31&t=001032

Greg

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Nice Review.
   I may have to look into a Spike Duffel, here is a picture of my X2 loaded for a three day pack in hunt during Elk season 38lbs including my clothes.

Camp

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
Pat

Very nice camp. Sil-tarp?

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Joshua,
    Not to stray from the topic, but yes it is a 8 X 10 sil-nylon tarp.

Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to do that Greg, and sure happy to hear that the pack set up worked out well for you.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
I used the X2 with the spike duffle this year and I was pleased.  Looking forward to doing it again next year.

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Whip

I appreciate you starting this thread informing us about the possibilites of using the X2 with the Spike Duffel.

Thanks also for your great customer service.

Greg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©