3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cruel & unusual punishment  (Read 484 times)

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
cruel & unusual punishment
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I've had elbow pain in the bow arm for 2 months now.  It hasnt gotten worse but hasnt got better either even with taking 2 weeks off, icing and motrin.  Anyhow had a opening today in my work schedule to go into a sports Doc.  Good news - cortizone shot, feel better already
BAD NEWS - Just got 2 new to me bows to tinker with in the mail yesterday!  And he told me not to shoot for a week!  So Ive got a Morrison ILF 14 riser, some temp black max recurve limbs and sbd string ready to go in addition to a Hoyt Gamemaster I traded one of my wheel bows for ready to tinker with!  This is going to be hard not to shoot for a week!  ARGHH.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cruel & unusual punishment
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Better than surgery.  You'd better wait you week and be happy that it is only a week.  You can send them to AR if it is just too hard to look and not touch. lol
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Hang in there, it'll be worth it. Good luck with the elbow.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
BABs got it right could be surgery and miss months or a season!  :scared:  Im just having some fun with the timing of it!

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I had tendon problems in my elbow last year. I got a cortizone, treated with ice, had medicine. It took about 5 months for mine to get better.

Glad the shot worked for you.

James
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Hope it gets well. I had shoulder problems about a year ago, couldn't hardly shoot at all for the pain. I went to a chiropractor and he popped something and it was gone. No problems at all since then.
bolong

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Seems like a few of us have had issues recently.  I had tendonitis last season and it took about 8 months to fully heal.

Hopefully you will be back at it much, much sooner without a relapse.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Yep, a week is nothing.  My new Big Jim Buffalo bow arrived while I was in the hospital for major abdominal surgery.  That was three weeks ago and the doc says it'll be four more weeks until I can string it up!

I dealt with the bow arm elbow pain too. Had to lay off a year and drop down 6-8# in bow weight.  

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Hope you have no further problem. Remember when you were a kid at christmas only this time you know what is waiting for you in a week.

Offline browndown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
I had elbow pain and went to the dock and he told me I had lime desease. Took some meds for 4 weeks and the pain went away. Watch those litte ********.
Live like you are dying, god will pardon you thats his line of work

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I had some elbow pain a few years ago,I used an elbow brace and did some physical therapy exercise I found on the net.With ice and rest also,it went away after a month.But when I had bursitas in my elbow,nothing helped.I just layed off until it healed,that was alittle rough not shooting.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Man Andrew, that sounds worse than watching re-run's of the 2009 MSU vs CMU game (I won't mention '91 and '92)! ... Only way to beat tennis elbow is to NOT use it....  :(    Don't ask how I know.

Looking forward to meeting up with you this fall.
  :archer:  

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Any of you guys try any herbs, like Arnica Montana, Russtox, or Wobenzym ? Try taking the magnets off the frig. and while watching TV put them where it hurts.  

Ken
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I know how ya fee.  That stinks.  A couple years ago, I tore the ligament that holds my thumb onto my right hand.  "Game keeper's thumb" is the term, derived from old English gamekeepers.  They tore up their hands ringing bird necks.  The trouble was, I was expecting a new custom made Owl selfbow any day.  Wouldn't ya know?  It showed up THE VERY NEXT DAY!  I called Ed Scott to tell him the bow was in and it was really pretty and all, but that I couldn't shoot it for a long long time.  It was awful.  (By the way, I'm left handed, and the right thumb was the loose one, so naturally I sure couldn't draw a bow.)  The first time I tried to shoot it was too early, and it snapped my thumb backwards, tearing it worse and giving me a good beating about the nose and eyes with the belly of the bow!  

To make a long story short, I tried three docters and found one who didn't want to jump in with a knife right away.  (I had no insurance at the time.  $6,000+ for reconstuction was not an option)  This guy put it in a stabilizer for several weeks and told me to take it easy and see if it would tighten up enough on its own to be functional.  It finally did, though I certainly do not have the strenght that it once did.  I can do most things alright though.  

Guess I kinda got carried away, but I sure know how you're feeling.  It's NO FUN not being able to shoot.  I shoot pretty much every day.  Even living in an army hotel for four months.  I have two bows and a portable target in my room and I shoot every night before going to bed.  I hate when I can't!!  That's for sure!

Hope you get patched up quickly!
Silence is golden.

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
On Aug.27th I am having surgery on my lower right eyelid.The doctor says that my right eye will be stitched shut and covered for 6 to 8 weeks.I shoot lefthanded so I have been trying to practice with my right eye closed;and am not doing too good. [Depth perception]. The real bummer is--archery season opens in my area on Oct.01/10 and I still don't know if I get an antlerless permit this year.---I feel your pain.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
I feel your pain. I drew my bow back early this week and my shoulder pop. It has happen once before this summer but the pain went away quick. I could not even draw my bow back without major pain. My opener for deer and elk is this next weekend! I just hope I can even hunt this year. If your elbow keeps hurting just send me the black max's limbs for my Gamemaster 2,it won't hurt as bad that way. Hope it get's better for you.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by JimmyC:
Man Andrew, that sounds worse than watching re-run's of the 2009 MSU vs CMU game (I won't mention '91 and '92)! ... Only way to beat tennis elbow is to NOT use it....   :(     Don't ask how I know.

Looking forward to meeting up with you this fall.
   :archer:  

Jim
OUCH Jim thats a low blow!!!  Especially the 91 & 92 reset.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Be careful with cortisone shots. I'm a runner and had a bad case of plantar fascitis (inflamed tendon of the foot, that connects it to the calf). After considering a cortisone shot, my orthopedist suggested instead a very long regime of stretching and absolutely no running. The cortisone shot apparently makes the ligament slightly 'brittle' and should be used as a one-time pain relief, to give the tendon a chance to heal itself. But if you re-injure, they won't be able to do it again. Take it easy for a while...
Marco

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Oh, for very long period of recovery, I mean 14 months... daily stretching and even had to wear a splint at night for 2 months. It worked very well, and I've been running even more miles after. That was 8 years ago. Injury free since (knock on wood). Marco

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Just got news from my Doc my "since february" tendonitis could also accompany a damaged radialis nerve, with a max 15 months recoverytime^^

A week ain't so bad  ;)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©