3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which carbons?...  (Read 617 times)

Offline Matt R

• Trad Bowhunter
Which carbons?...
« on: August 12, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
I have been a trad shooter with wooden arrows for a while now and pretty much know what I need in woodies, however I now fancy having a stab at using carbons to see how they work for me, trouble is, there are a lot out there to choose from. I shoot an ACS CX 45@28" with a 27" draw and mainly 3D field.
My question to you guys is this...have you got any real good experiences with particular carbons? Can you also please tell me why you reckon they are good and how you have set them up, fletchs, points etc...price not really an issue but clearly I'm not looking to pay insane amounts! Thought I'd come to the best place I know for decent advice...so whatd'ya know?? Thanks
ACS CX JK 45@28
Rick Welch carbon core Pro-Hunter 45@28
English Longbow (scourge of the French!)

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which carbons?...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
this would be better posted in the pow wow instead of the classifieds.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Matt R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks, not certain how that happened, pilot error I guess, anyway it has now landed correctly!!!
ACS CX JK 45@28

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
A Heritage 150 cut to 28"s with 225 grains of point weight would get ya about dead on!! Leave them 29"s and use that 225 up front and cut back a 1/2" at a time until ya get perfect flight! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Why are carbons good?  Uniformity!  Once I know my arrow set up I can repeat it endlessly with minimal effort.  Shafts are readily available and they are either straight or broken.  This list is endless.  I love wood arrows, I just don't love the maintenance and work it takes to make and keep them straight.  Plus carbon is tough.  I have yet to break a carbon while stump shooting.  I breaks woods on a semi regular basis stumping.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
I'm with Shawn on this one.  I've tried Gold Tip, Arrow Dynamics, Vapor Carbonwoods, those pricey Alaskan tapered carbons, and a couple others, but have found the Carbon Express Heritage a superior arrow.  

I've used the CE 150 for 45-55# bows and the CE 90 for 35-45# bows.  I have found them very durable and easily adaptable to my set-ups.
Lon Scott

Offline Matt R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Thanks guy's, appreciate the help so far.
ACS CX JK 45@28

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
I shoot the Easstons fmj alloy and carbon and the GT ultralight. This is so far the best arrows for me.
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Have been shooting GT for the last 2 yrs and no problems. For your set up probably 3555s cut to 29" The weight you will have to play with but 145gr up front for me or so. I am still pretty new at this so take my advise at your own risk....   :)
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I've shot Carbon Express and Gold Tip.  GTs are generally lighter than CXs from what I've seen so I've added weight tubes to them.  However, GTs are about half the cost of CXs.  You can't go wrong with either, though.  They've tuned well for me and are durable.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I went to GTs 6 years ago and haven't looked back. I've lost more than I've broken. I'm still using several from the original dozen.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Another vote for GT 3555's.  You're probably going to want enough point weight so that your balance point is 2/3rds of the way from the nock to the point.  I'd try them full length with 125gr point and shorten, and increase point weight, as necessary to get them to fly the way you want.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Beman MFX Classic 500 or 600. Excellent shafts! Durable and straight and skinny, for better penetration. Also, not too light in weight.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 02:47:00 AM »
I am a 3D archer too and at the moment I shoot a Cari-bow Peregrine 45#@29". Goldtip Traditionals 35-55 at full length (30.3") with a wrap, 4" helical fletching, standard nock and insert and a 125 grains fieldtip fly great.
I choose the GT Traditionals because I like the woodprint, they are very tuff and have a nice price.
Besides of that: Goldtip has a very nice system of weight-adapters, I used it a lot. It allows you to tune your arrows while shooting.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I'd have to agree on the Beman classic MFX shafts.  I've gotten the best/most consistent arrow flight from them, and they are skinny and heavy (for carbons).
1Peter 5:6,7

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
If you want to try ultra extreme FOC I'd recommend the victory v-forceHV shaft which uses the same insert size as regular 5/16 carbon shafts but are much lighter...kind of funny buying ultralight shafts to make heavy arrows with.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Matt R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Lots of help...lots of arrows...will need lots of time off now to go shooting! Keep it coming guys! :-)
ACS CX JK 45@28

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Hi Antonio,

I am planning to build an Ultra-EFOC arrow using the Victory HV shafts. Would you mind sharing your complete bow and arrow set-up? Also, would you mind sharing your opinion of them?

My concern with 400 up front is that the 300's may be too stiff and I should opt for the 350's. Stu's calc has the dynamic spine of my current shafts @ 47.9. Inputting the Victory HV350 gives a dynamic spine 4.9#'s below the 47.9 and shows that the 300's should be my pick. There seems to be little info on TG regarding these shafts. Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Bow - Habu
Draw - 51 @ 28 - actual draw is 28.5
Shelf - 1/8" past center(I use -1/16 for Stu's Eq)
Current Arrow - Beman Hunter 400 with 300 up front and 25% EFOC. (~564 grains.)

Best regards,

Scott
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
My advice is listen to Shawn. CE 150's.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
Beman MFX shafts are extremely consistent in spine, weight and very durable as well. I have used them for awhile and believe better ones would be hard to find.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©