3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Home shop owners...need some advice  (Read 362 times)

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Home shop owners...need some advice
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Howdy all, I recently built a small archery shop out of my garage. I want to start building custom arrows for folk. But alot of the big distributors want you to have a store front and be listed in the yellow pages?
I was wondering if any small shop owners here know of any distributors that will deal with the little guys?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Home shop owners...need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
You'll just have to call them and explain your situation--some are more understanding than others.  Some just require a minimum order every year, others are strict about the store front, etc.

Bottom line, some of the "big" distributors don't care to deal with the little guy--you aren't worth their time.  Had one tell me that when I was getting started in the string business (it wasn't BCY).

Worst case scenario, until you get your business going you might try going through one of the smaller guys.  You should be able to get a deal for bulk purchases.

Chad

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Thanks Chad, I'll try that approach with some of them.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
What about a sign out front? As far as a Yellow Page ad, ask them about a co-op? In other words, they would help you buy an ad as long as their logo appears on it.  If you go that route, make sure you get pre- approval so you don't get stuck with the entire bill. You would probably have to show some kind of commitment by placing an order with them.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Try getting in touch with others in the same boat and purchasing together.
ChuckC

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
You might try Pape's Archery. Got a friend with a shop behind his house, that's who he uses
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Guys thanks for the pointers its much appreciated!

Dave

Offline Jimbow39

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
O H MULLEN SALES in Oakwood, Ohio. I delt with them when I had a shop in 1972 to 1982. They will sell to dealers or individuals. Good Luck

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 04:43:00 AM »
I also have a small (hobby) shop and I order from the retail sellers,, some of them are our sponsors here. This is how I see it, I don't order enough to even approach a wholesaler. It would not be fair to the people that are running a business for a wholesale outfit to sell to an individual at the same price. If you want to buy wholesale get yourself a business with all the overhead and then compete.............James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Do you have a business lic.?  All the distributors require one.  Most will also require a min. first order of at least $300.00 to $1500.00 and some will require a certain yearly purchase amount to remain a dealer.

You will get the yellow page  listing when you get your business phone.

The reason for this is not to give the little guy a hard time, but to protect the little guy with a true working business.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Thanks Badger, Thanks i wasn't aware that you got a listing once your biz was registered. I am currently getting ready to register my biz as we speak as well as my tax certificate.
And I understand where your coming, but thanks for explaining it to me. I guess at the time it felt as if small bizz's weren't important to them?

Thanks

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
A business license will sure help, but you'll still run into some of the same snags.  Some require a store front, some want pictures, most all have a minimum order requirement, and some just won't bother with you if you aren't spending a lot with them and/or you'll get a much higher price if you don't order cases of stuff.  I've learned all this with a business license, with a shop, and with my number in the yellow pages.  

That's just the way business is these days.  "Mom and Pop" stores are practically extinct, and that is why--it's more profitable for the manufacturers to sell by the truck load instead of by the box.  One of the few exceptions is truly hand-made items that can't be mass-produced by a machine--at least not with anywhere near the same quality--i.e. flemish strings, wood arrows, etc.

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
I also tried to approach a dealer. Besides the store front I was told I needed proof that I was EPA approved because of the paints used to make arrows.
That sort of killed it for me.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
LBR..thanks that's great info. I have noticed that contacting dealers direct with the products I need seem to be more receptive.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Yep--it should help being a specialty shop rather than a full-blown store.  Might even pick up some wholesale business while you are at it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©