3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fingers only?  (Read 368 times)

Offline okcaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Fingers only?
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
How many of you shoot without an aid (glove or tab)? I have always liked the feel of shooting without an aid, but it kills my fingers after a few shots. If you shoot bare handed, how did you overcome the initial pain?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fingers only?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
I stopped the pain by going to a tab or glove,you will also get a much cleaner release. Just my opinion!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cody Schnettgoecke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I think Roger Rothhaar shoots without a glove or tab. On masters of the bare bow 1 he said he triple serves his string where he puts his fingers. I have always used a tab, but definitely see the advantages of shooting without one if you can do it comfortably.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
My Dad shoots without a tab or glove, but then again he is 60 years old and worked hard his whole life.  He could probable strip the thorns from a saw brier bare handed...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Cody, I would think that if someone triple serves his string, there would be enough additional weight on the string to reduce arrow speed.  Similar, but opposite, to the effect of going to a skinny string.  What do you think?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DaxE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
I have tried to shoot without anything but it kills my fingers.

I do know and older guy who never used anything. Even when he had back surgery and started using compound bows, he still used bare fingers, He had some serious calluses on the tips of his fingers.

Offline Cody Schnettgoecke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Cody, I would think that if someone triple serves his string, there would be enough additional weight on the string to reduce arrow speed. Similar, but opposite, to the effect of going to a skinny string. What do you think?
I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure how much of the string Roger puts the extra serving on, but judging by his success, I would say it works for him.  He might just do an inch or two above and below the nock where his fingers grip the string.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
McDave:  I don't think Roger cares about a few fps.  He kills em with know how.   :archer2:

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I do shoot some bare finger just to make sure I shoot the same. When I hunt I don't use any thing. If it is cold out I wear leather gloves. I don't know if my fingers will ajust but not yet.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
Not sure why you would shoot without one.  But if you want to your gonna have to be a tough guy to shoot much.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
I don't like having anything on my hands. Might need a chew.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
I shot bare for yrs. but not when it got real cold out. thats when it stings!
Tom

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I do from all my bows which are46# to  52#.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
I was told that if one shoots a bow without fingers they face the strong possibility of stretching and disconnecting the ligaments of the fingers that do the shooting. Don't know if this is true just thought I'd put it out there.

Ken
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
I would think the forces on the ligaments of the fingers would be about the same whether you're shooting bare, glove, or tab.  It seems like the main damage would be nerve damage, if your fingers get numb and stay numb.  I really don't know either, though.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Cannot see much upside in shooting with just fingers.  Sure it reduces the need for the glove or tab, but it strikes me that long-term it could be creating problems in the fingers.

Frankly, I am not sure, but risk vs. reward seems too high to mess with it.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
Wow,
I didn't know there were even people who shoot hunting weight bows without protection. I have to wear gloves to pick my nose or I'd get a blister!

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
A tab or a glove distributes the pressure on your fingers and shooting adult poundages a lot without one could lead to problems in certain people.

Ask a neurologist.

I have friends who have done hard "finger work" for years on the job and their fingers get cold much more easily now.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
I have noticed in pictures that JK Chastain of Waipiti bows has a no-glove on his longbows.  I have always liked the feel I get shooting without a tab or glove but cannot maintain shooting that way.  I think the build up serving might work.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Bare fingers here! I can't stand a glove or tab.
 I worked in landscape construction for 15 yrs and accumulated many callouses working with brick and block.
 The only way to overcome that blister is to keep shooting.   :D
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©