3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need info/feedback, anyone process their deer with grinders.  (Read 463 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Need info/feedback, anyone process their deer with grinders.
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
I have processed my own deer for years, was a professional meat cutter in another life. Last several years, I was boning and chunking up my deer,taking to the local processor, he would grind them and package, 15-20 minute job for $25, since most of the work was done. Last 2 years I weighed the meat before I took it, last year, last 2 deer wife and I killed, we only got back about 1/2 of what we took. I weighed it in a hanging bag before. I could see losing 4 -5 pounds as waste, not #45. I talked with him about this, he got mad, said he wasnt doing anymore deer. Long story short, I am looking at buying one on ****, some other reputable dealers online, just wondering if any of you guys have your own electric meat grinders, looking for feedback, pros/cons. All feedback appreciated. I utilize every scrap I bone off, makes some good summer sausage, bratwurst for the grill, chili, lasagna, etc. We dont buy hamburger period, wife and I and my daughter have gotten so used to venison last 30 years, we prefer it. And with the price of beef, I cant talk myself into butchering one of our beefs that I can sell at top dollar. The wife and I usually kill about 6 deer a year, and may get one or two given to us that other local hunters wont eat. I am hoping to be adding an elk to that # in about 7 weeks.
samuel koger

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need info/feedback, anyone process their deer with grinders.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
I bought an electric grinder from Northern Tool. Was about $120 and its been worth every dime. I've ground up several hundred pounds of wild hog and so far this season about 20 pounds of venison scrap meat and its served me well.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Try to get a good heavey duty one that comes apart easy for cleaning. I went through two cheaper ones before investing in a good one and have been using this one for several years now. A little pricey but well worth it in the long run.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
We've ground venison burger for years.  My folks bought the grinder probably 20 years ago - one of the white plastic electric ones from Cabela's - probably $100.  I bet Mom has put well over 100 deer through that old grinder.  If I were going to buy one myself (especially in your shoes as an ex-meat cutter) I'd do some research and get the best one I was willing to pay for.  The little one Mom uses takes a long time - you get a semi-commercial version and you'll be better off.

Cons - if you try to put too much silver-skin through it the meat will have some strings in it and be pretty wet.  She usually grinds on "coarse" then regrinds some of it on "fine" if needed.

Pros - you won't end up with other people's deer (that were not taken as good care of as yours) mixed in with yours.  You can also choose what (if anything) to add (fat, pork, etc).  We never added anything.

R

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I watched an online video, was alot like the one you describe Ryan, pretty fast though and they even put chicken legs whole through it. The good ones, all stainless,1.5-2hp are going for around $200, and have 2-3 year warranty's. If you guys have the websites, please PM them to me. Thanks.
samuel koger

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
I bought a Waring Pro 450 in 2006.  I grind about 100# a year and I share it with a hunting buddy who probably grinds about the same.

So far, so good.

There are other ones out there that cost more but I got mine for $150.  I think it was a good buy but you may be looking for something a little more stout.  I usually grind about 10 - 20 pounds at a time.  Grind time for me is about a minute per pound.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Swampdrummer is right I bought one from Northern Tools also and it has worked very well.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
I bought one from Northern Tool several years ago. I only do maybe 3-4 deer a year but I am very pleased with it. I caught it on sale w/free shipping and got it for $90
It has a 1000 watt motor vs the one from Cabelas has a 500 watt motor for more money.
If i was doing a lot more I would have looked at one of the better one that will run $3-400.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Buy a good heavy duty model not a cheap one.
I got one that was a commercial one at a auction and it will go through the meat in no time.
Look for a large throat area or you will need to cut all small chunks.

Just the head (cutting area)of my machine comes off for cleaning and takes all of 5 minutes to do.

One with replaceable parts and the stuffer is nice also.

If you buy a nice one a person can make some extra grinding others. Or gdind for part of the meat with agreed upon amount.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
I dont remember how much it was but, the wife bought a Kitchen Aid mixer. We got a grinder attachment for it and it works great. It also serves double duty in the kitchen so its serves multiple tasks.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
When I found out I wasn't getting the deer I dropped off I started doing My own... Backstrapes, steaks and ground meat.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 05:00:00 AM »
I would never carry another deer to a processing center. Like you said some of your meat will dissapear and you are probably not getting YOUR deer back. I carried a small doe I killer on a permit hunt out of state to be processed and when I came to pick it up the local game warden was waiting. Luckily I was legal but I still thought it was rotten for the butcher to call in on me.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
As other have said, make sure you get a heavy duty version.  We used an old Hobart with a 5 horse motor on it the last time we had a grinding party (2 elk).  Put a chunk in and it wouldn't load down at all.  Best grinder I ever used - unfortunately it burned up in a fire shortly after that.  I used to grind burger in the grinder attachment for an Oster Kitchen Center but neither the motor nor the gears (plastic) could handle it, it was just too light duty.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
I built this one last year.  Modeled it after one I found online.  Works like a champ!

If you go this route, please be careful, or build some gaurds for it.  That motor isn't easy to stall.  I'm betting it would take your whole hand, and half your forearm before over loading.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
I have been using one for the last 4 years that I bought at wally world for about $70.  I only use it for our deer season so it only does on average 3-4 deer per year, It does a great job for what I do.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
We do our deer, hogs, elk whatever each year.  Have a 1 hp from cabelas.  It flat will grind meat.  That and a industrial vacumn packer and your good to go for life.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Have a grinder at the lodge in Alabama. Don't recall make or hp of motor but do remember it was around $350. Worth every penny, we normally will quarter deer and remove backstrap and tenderloin then chill overnight. With 3 people working we can bone, cut, grind and vacuum pack 3 deer in about an hour.
Know exactly where meat came from, how it was handled, and what's in it. Usually don't add fat of any kind but will on occasion.
I never have and never will use a commercial Processor. JMO

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
I have been grinding everthing but the backstraps and tenderloins for years and use most for jerkey.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
We, my neighbor and I grind about 1000 lbs a year, between the hogs, nilgai, and deer, using a grinder like pictured above, we usually grind twice, once coarse, and once fine 1/4 vs 1/8. The grinder is getting ancient and we have to sharpen the knives at least once.(by honing). It makes a lot of smoked sausage, we keep three smoke houses full. (back yard variety)

We do wait till we see a cold front coming as it can be warm down here.
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
I bought mine from Northern tool on one of the specials... about 6 years ago... The price I just found under Google was under $100.. look at a catalog or check online for coupon codes... and you may do even a lil better....

I did my homework, I figured it was a relabelled    chinese made TASIN grinder.... But this thing is used by many folks for many different things... The thing that amazed me is how some folks had been using one on a weekly basis to make a homemade dog food recipe for "BARF." These folks grind up bones as well to make this pet food... often weekly!!!! Since I use it 3-4 times a year and the worst thing I use is thawed pork fat for making brats and kielbasa.... This thing has an easy life...

The only thing I can say is this.... It works great!!! But it utilizes some very cheap components... it will work fine, but you will upgrade and buy some stainless grinder plates and knives(the cutting tool in the grinder itself...) And do not use the dishwasher on the aluminum AS IT TAKES OFF THE PROTECTIVE COATING AND ALLOWS FOR OXIDATION...

All in all with the sale and about 15 deer under it's belt and a bunch of pork fat for sausage... I will say, I have gotten my moneys worth!!! And it still works like a champ... As most home processing goes... you start and stop a lot, so the issue of overheating is minimal... Now if you have 3 folks working in tandem like a production line... you may pop the breaker... only happened to me once... But a cool beverage of fermented hops and barley later, everything was cool and worked till enough venison and pork fat was ground once rough, mixed and ground again... mixed with the sausage spices... then stuffed into casings and smoked!!! 60# and figure everything had to be run through 3x... It did very well!!!

A verifiable bargain... just use it within it's capacity and you'll be fine!!! In time realize that you will want 3 meat tubs... the silicone spray and brush... and a stainless knife and a large grinding plate and a fine gringing plate.. and if you do cased sausages, a stuffing plate...as for stuffing tubes, I stick with the plastics cheap ones and sand the edges becuse they work better with the dried/rehydrated salted casings....

From this level up, I can't see how you could go wrong!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©