3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need info/feedback, anyone process their deer with grinders.  (Read 462 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need info/feedback, anyone process their deer with grinders.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
guy got pissed because you caught him red handed stealin your meat.i had a butcher try and pass half a 6x6 elk off as a whole one once.'tried'.we argued for ten minutes or more about the amount of full boxes which was only four.get 8 out of a cow i told him. then i said i weighed it before i brought it in and there wasnt much fat on it because i debone and trim well so i have less to pack out. i told him to show me the weight slips.he suddenly remembered he had left 4 or 5 big banana boxes of my meat in the freezer.my ass i told him,get my meat ya thief and be snappy so's i can get out of your establishment and spread the word you're a no good lyin thief....should of seen his face,thought he was gonna either hurl or piss himself.ya think they'd figure it out huh.  :dunno:    :dunno:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
I also have a 1HP from Cabelas and it works great.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 02:48:00 AM »
Apex,

Thanks for the pictures of your home made setup.  I've got the grinder already, I'm an industrial mechanic in a place that throws away literally tons of stuff that would work.  I've got an old but I think unused motor in the garage and a pile of scrap wood so I guess I have no excuse except finding some pulleys.

Where did you get the big pulley on the back of the grinder?  Did you modify the connection at all?

Gonna have to make one of these setups for sure....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
Dave, I believe the large one came from an outlet that sells grinders.  I used this guys plans, but modified it some.  I used a #32 grinder and a 1 hp motor.  Most of the stuff came off the big auction site.  The base is a box with a removable bottom to access the mounting hardware.

http://www.sausagemania.com/grinder.html
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
I shopped around a couple of years ago and ended up purchasing an LEM gringer off of fleabay. Basspro sells the same brand. I bought the .35hp model. I believe it sells at big stores for around 275, plus tax. Or, maybe that was the sale price. Either way, I got mine for 250 shipped which is not bad cause they're pretty heavy. From my experience, I would not purchase one any smaller. I kind of wish I had gone with the .50, or .75hp model as they have the reverse switch. That comes in real handy if the grinder wants to stall. I've turned mine off and then when I turn it back on, it's locked up. A reverse switch would save me the trouble of taking the feed tube off and cleaning the blades. As long as I keep it turning, it's fine though. I owned two of those plastic housing grinders for around a hundred bucks and burnt both of them up. If you're going to get one which will last you for years, I'd say you're going to spend close to 300 bucks. If you're smart, you'll spend a hundred or so more bucks extra and go with something which has a 1hp motor. I know that's what I'd do if I could. Good luck.
N/A

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I've got a question for all you grinders out there.  I am still using a hand crank model and it works ok. My only complaint is that I get a lot of meat that comes out at the end that is ground mush. I.E. It has been over processed in the grinder.  I'm using the largest diameter end on the grinder but I still have this happen.  My wife complains that she doesn't like the texture of deer and I think this is part of the problem. Anyone dealt with this problem.  Any solutions?
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
If your meat is kind of like mush, there are two reasons I'm aware of. First, your cutting blade probably needs to be replaced as it may be dull. Second, if you cut your meat up and put it in the freezer until it starts to freeze, but not hard, it will go thru any grinder much better. It's a world of difference and you'll have to try it to see the difference. Also, I make sure that I tighten down a bit on the grinder head after I turn it on and I apply a touch of cooking oil to the blade and screen prior to assembly.
N/A

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Chris another reason is sinew/sliversking wrapped around the cutter, slows down the movement of ground burger int he grinder and makes the mushy burger. I have had the same problem with a hand operated grinder. I appreciate all the feedback guys. Now if the deer and elk will cooperate.
samuel koger

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
I have that grinder from Northern Tool also. Awesome buy.  They run it on sale every year.  I don't remember what model, but it gobbles up the meat and does not bog down.  Paid around a $95 five years ago. I still see it on sell.
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 02:22:00 AM »
Yup Chris, partially frozen meat cuts a LOT better.

On my hand crank that seemed to be getting a little dull, I put some comet cleanser all over the cutting surfaces and cranked it to try to lap the blades to the grinder face.  Seemed to work somewhat but then I got to thinking that I'd have to do every single plate and each one might be changing the mating surfaces so I gave up on that idea.  Still, the blade did seem to cut better afterwards.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 03:30:00 AM »
I have a 1 1/2 horse power that works really well; it takes time; but its worth it.

I cut meat commercially for a while; as an employee.  A lot of meat gets tossed if it has dirt on it or gravel - as gravel can ruin grinder blades.

We processed an elk once that was shot with a rifle; once through the front shoulders; once through the back legs; once up both back straps; and one through the neck. I think we got about 50 pounds of meat off that entire elk!

Most butchers have a rule about deer- you get so many steaks; so many roasts and so much burger.

A good meat processor will take care of all the meat- do each deer once at a time; and return all the meat to the hunter. As it should be.

Hey Dave- I was thinking that if you had a setup like the one shown above - the right switch might be from a sewing machine- so that you can just move your foot and not lose your arm... the humongous grinder we used at the processor had a knob you could hit to cut the power instantly.

10 % beef suet is a way to flavor up the burger some...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
I have a hand-operated grinder just like Apex Predator’s; I automated it a little bit differently though. I used a 90 degree, 10 to 1, gear reducer and attached that to my drill press. I am turning at about 35 RPMs and it seems to be working all right. Curious about how fast grinders are supposed to be cranking (RPM)?

Offline Benner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
I use 1/2 hp one from Cabelas. You can grind a couple hundred pounds of meat in a few minutes. I use it for stuffing sausage also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©