3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where can i find boxes to ship bows in!!!!!!!  (Read 481 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Where can i find boxes to ship bows in!!!!!!!
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
I'm selling off my Bear collection and was wondering if you guys could tell where to get some good sturdy boxes to ship my bows in.

Thanks
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where can i find boxes to ship bows in!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
I went to my local archery shop and got some of their newly delivered compound's boxes and narrowed them by cut and tape.

Bubble wrap I got from my local Bona Vista box shop (they did not have the right boxes, or ones I could use with minimal mod).
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Any carpet store will have thick cardboard tubing they throw away and have always been willing to part with for free.

They work great.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
For recurves, I use two arrow boxes taped together. Not too expensive, and you can buy them from 3rivers, etc.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I find lots of flatish boxes, suitable for cut and reconstruct, behind sporting goods stores like Big Five.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I get cardboard at work to make mine up.Hardware stores will have pieces of cardboard or boxes that might have to be modified.I use sizzers or utilty knife to cut the shape I need.And 2" clear tape to tape up the box.Sometimes I`ll use old news papers for stuffing so the bow don`t move around or I`ll use bubble wrap that I saved from packages that I recieved.(Never through away bubble wrap,it always comes in handy for something.)Some people use PVC pipe for longbows.I got a longbow one time wraped in a trangle shape of plywood and duck tape."Almost bomb proof".Bow was in good shape,(although it took me awhile to open it.Well packed.)
Harold Wetzler

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Check with gun shops or sporting good stores to see if they have any gun boxes.You may have to put two together for a one piece,but generally heavy built boxes.Terry

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
For recurves I just cut and reconstruct boxes for them.Finding a round tube for a recurve,it would have to be pretty large diameter and cost more for oversize shipping.Most of the time you can keep them under the 84" limit( length plus girth) or you pay extra.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Joe,  I hit my local gun store and take the boxes they are going  to throw out.   This way I am getting a free box, and saving the planet at the same time    :rolleyes:  

They are always glad to see me come in needing boxes, saves them a trip.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
There are cardboard supply places online that sell any size box you might need. One I have used is uline. A bit pricy, but for selling off a large number of bows worth the investment. Carpet tubes are great too - if you can find them in large diameter that would be my first choice.
To construct a box by cutting pieces and taping together is asking for trouble IMO. For a large number of bows it would be very time consuming, and not nearly as sturdy I wouldn't think.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Joe,

I have made dozens of bow boxes. It usually takes me less than ten minutes to make a box. I have detailed instructions with pictures I can send you on box making plans. PM me your Email address if you would like me to send them to you.
Jack Shanks

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
furniture stores have all the boxes and bubble wrap you need.If you have a 6"-8" round metal wheel to crease the cardboard were you want your folds to be your good to go

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Don't laugh too hard but I build up a box with 1X3 pine sides and cheap slide together flooring for top and bottom. Screw it all together with wood screws and then tape up all the edges

Its a little heavier than cardboard but I don't loose any sleep while the bow is in transit.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
You need to buy some bows online. Then you will have a bunch of boxes.

Killdeer~works for me!   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
I wouldn't count on it Killdeer. I've gotten two that were sandwiched between cardboard and the edge taped. Received another that wasn't even in a box. It was bubble wrapped and then wrapped in paper.
Jack Shanks

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
I have sent bows to Iraq qnd they made it safe and sound.  I over protect the bows.

I go the a house siding supply store and pick up empty siding boxes.  I then get some 2" thick pink or blue board ( 4 by 8 sheets of insulation)  I then cut the board to slide into the box.  After that cut is made I lay the bow on the pink board and trace the outline of the bow onto the pink board and then cut the outline out.  Lay the bow into the cut out and slide into the siding box.  Tape up and mail away.  Hope this helps.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Check at a golf store.
John

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
I have shipped a ton of bows in the boxes the Post Office sends you for free. They are long triangles of about 6" per side, and fit all longbows and many recurves. The PO calls them 'tubes' but they are triangles. Order on line only. Shipping to you is free.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
Any carpet store will have thick cardboard tubing they throw away and have always been willing to part with for free.

They work great.

God bless,Mudd
Nice and tough. Not much worry of collapse.
Also, thinish drain or sewer pvc works good without weighing as much as regular pvc

I have had good luck sending bows in boxes I made from scrap cardboard. But I understand if you don't have the scrap you can't make the box.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
Last bow I shipped went in a box I got from a ski shop that sells skis & snow boards. The snow board box was perfect and they gave it to me free with a smile.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©