3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: poundage?  (Read 358 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
poundage?
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
i have a costum recurve that i ordered 55 at 27 when i recieved the bow it was marked 55 at 28 so hat shoudl put it at around 52 at 27 the other day just for giggles i put the bow on a scale pulled down to 27" and scale read 64 lbs i know that poundage on hand crafted bows isnt exact i was just wondering if the 12lb difference is normal?  By the way i love the bow its great

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: poundage?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
no. 12#'s is more than a normal discrepancy between scales.

I'm not so sure about 55#@28 = 52#@27

Might want to check your scale with known weights and/or against another scale. Just to be sure.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
You can check your scale with some dumbells and yes 55@28 does equal very close to 52@27.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
That seems way off,usally bowyers will go + or - 2# on what you order.12# is a big difference,like said I would check the scale or check your bow on a different scale just to be sure.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
Missing  weight by 9 pounds (Ordered 55, got 64) is definitely grounds for sending it back.  But might want to check the accuracy of your bow scale first as others have suggested.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
check your scale and calibrate it with a known weight.if its still off by 9 ship it back.jmho
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
check your scale, if it is right, and your bow if off 9 pounds the bow builder needs to fix the error. That is my take, Good luck with it. Let us know how this turns out.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Yep, if you and the bowyer are measuring draw length from the AMO location this would be light-years from what I'd expect. I've very carefully done these kinds of measurements using digital scales on all my bows. I typically check them at 28" (AMO spec), 25.5" -- my draw length, and 29" to see what kind of stacking is taking place. I've found 2.5-3 pounds of difference per inch of draw within these measurements.

I've noticed 1-2 pounds difference (usually lighter) from how the bow is marked.  The most accurate measurement vs. speced by the bowyer (my sample size is only 9) was a recent Schafer Silvertip I was trying out.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
The depth of grip should be 1 3/4 in and weight should be pulled from the back of the bow. (front edge , to the arrow nock.  The poundage you gave is either a scale that is off or a bowyer mistake. It happens. If you love the bow then evidently the bowyer is a good bowyer. If so he should be able to at least drop the weight to a much closer margin. I'm doubtful that if he is a good bowyer that he would purposely send out a bow that is that much off. Some people could not comfortably handle that much more weight and in fact should not have to.God Bless and good luck. Steve

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
IMHO your scale test/verification weight should be near the weight you want to check.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
I recently had 6 pounds taken off of a bow -- the bowyer made it right, I just ordered it wrong.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©