3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather Length for Hunting Arrows  (Read 1240 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather Length for Hunting Arrows
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
Three five in Shield cuts. Always have and always will. I believe something that is missed a lot and I don't see it discussed much is tuning and balancing broadheads. To me that is just as important or even more than the fletch. JMHO Years ago I made a little Jig to tune my broadheads. since I started using it I have always had my broadheads fly like they are on a rail.  It is really simple consisting of two vs to set the arrow in and a nail in a board for a pointer. Just turn the arrow and make sure that the point centers on the nail all the way around./ That centers the head./ God Bless, Steve
Great point Steve, I was just outside tuning some arrows... I'm using 4 fletch 90 Deg's and My BH's don't line up with the feathers so I'll heat the points and turn them just a little. I'll wait till the glue sets-up and then shoot and see how they hit..  Again Nice point about tuning BH's. Would like to see Your jig.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
I use 3, four inch parabolic.

I have the same arrows with 5 inch fletching too and the only difference in flight is the fives are louder than the fours. I feel the difference is a lot if I can hear it.

And that convinced me to use the four inch hunting since I gain nothing in flight that I could tell by using the longer fletching.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
3 shield  5.5 inch for me.

I tried 5.5 inch parabolic last year because they have a little more surface but I'm not crazy about them. Besides not liking the look, I don't feel them on my nose which is one of my anchor points (I didn't think of that when I ordered them).
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
I like 5.5 inch shield cut, seems to stabilize my broadheads good.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
I use 3 4" feathers and have no problem with broadheads. I am going to set up some arrows with 4 2" razor feathers and see how they work.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
I hunt with 4-4" banana 90 degree. Quiet flight.
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
I use 3, 5 1/2" traditional cut feathers. I like having the feathers touch my nose for some reason.  Stabilizes broadhead arrows great.  

Jack

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
I shot three 5" parabolic (wood)for years. When I decided to give carbon a go 2 years ago (smaller diameter), I bought a 4" chopper and they shoot great.

Like Sixby, I use a jig to spin check my heads - it was made by Jerry Simmons. Those big old 190 gr Interceptors fly true. So I agree, if everything is tuned and technique is good, the difference between fletch techniques is negligable.

However, on a cold day with a dose of nerves some extra feather might not be a bad thing!
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 04:03:00 AM »
I think 5 inch fletch will get the job done well- the problem I have had with 5 1/2 inch fletch is crosswinds. The bigger the profile the more side wind it can catch.
 I am not sure which shape best defeats crosswinds- but out west it would be a good thing to know...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
I go for 5.5" shield, mostly. I have used some 5" shield, too.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
I use 5" RH Parabolics on my hunting arrows with a slight straight offset & they fly gerat out of my set up, tried a helical on one of my practice arrows & really didn't see any advantage or disadvantage so I'm sticking to my straight offset.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
3 5" RW parabolic but sometimes shield cut. Like 'em both but seem to gravitate toward the parabolic. Rich Potter    :archer2:
Rich Potter

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
4" parabolic off set 3 fletch. Very quiet and if tuned will fly like darts............James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Trial and error with your broadheads,I use 5 inch and won't change(160 gr 2 blade heads out of a 70# @ 31 Hill Tembo).
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
... tuning and balancing broadheads... Just turn the arrow and make sure that the point centers on the nail all the way around. That centers the head...
 Steve
Thanks for the tip!
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I use either 4 4" shields or 3 5" shields n have for 45 years with no problems from either. That being said I don't think it matters much how long your fletch is if you tune your bow so your broadheads n field points hit the same.
Gary

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
I have been shooting the 2 inch Razer's in a 4 fletch with good success. I hunt in West Texas a lot where we have high winds and thought less is better in a cross wind. I fletch with a slight offset. I do shoot a extreme FOC arrow. I got the idea after Ashby's and Adcocks small fletch threads. I also agree a lot of the string jumping may come from arrow noise not bow noise. My arrows fly like a dart with a 200 grain Gizzly broadhead.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
5 inch for me.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I once used a feather burner to make my own shape of fletch; they were about 5 1/2 inches- I don't recall the exact shape.

But I do recall that I shot them and they worked well.

Until I shot one at a buck. It heard the fletch- as did I - because it was the first time I had shot the fletch in a 'silent situation'.
 The buck took off and came back; very nervous and looking back behind it from where it came.
( that part I will re-run and wonder about for ever- as it was following does; and I have wondered if a huge buck was following it).

The buck presented a broadside shot at 20 yards; and I let one of my own designed fletches go.
 That buck heard that arrow ! It ducked down and flipped over to avoid the arrow.
 The arrow hit it on the belly; the arrow came out over its shoulder; and buried into the ground.
 When the deer took off; it snapped the arrow shaft off at ground level; and ran till it dropped.

Point is- deer ~can~ hear arrows coming; and turn a good shot into a miss or a mediocre hit.

I also shot 5 arrows at a buck once in a 60 mph wind at less than 20 yards. I kept waiting for the wind to slow; and yet every arrow was blown off course. No deer was harmed that day.
  Now - I don't expect to be hunting in a 60 mph wind often; but it did help me make a decision to try 5 inch fletch with less of a profile....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Your going to like this answer. I shoot three four inch or three five inch or two five inch. if they are tuned they will work.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©