3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Best Bow Making Scraper  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
The Best Bow Making Scraper
« on: January 09, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
I have all the cheap as well as the  high dollar scrapers in my bow making tools. I use each of of them in different applications and they work very well.

One of my friends has been making bows for several years and was always talking about making bows with his scissors. Because he was a beginner and I had been making bows for a while I never gave it a second thought.

Recently he encountered health and personal problems that forced him to quit bowmaking and his first love, archery. He asked me to come by  and pick up his tools to distribute to all his wood hacker friends. As I was organizing his stuff to give away I came across his trusty scissors and gave them a try. Turns out he was right about them being a great scraping tool.

This half of a pair of scissors hogs off wood as fast as anything I have ever used when used with two hands.

These are easily sharpened with a light touch on my belt sander. I don't roll a hook on them like a cabinet scraper and just use the sharp edge drawn to me to remove wood.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Best Bow Making Scraper
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Yes Eric , they do work well . I would recomend ( from experience) that you put something on the point end. I use a small piece of rubber hose taped with duct tape.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
And to think I almost threw out an old pair of scissors. Thanks Eric for the tip. I'm finally getting to the point where I can start scrapin again.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Little Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Sweet Eric, can't wait to give it a try, I think my wife has a pair in her sewing kit.........she would kill me.

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
eric i dont mean to hijack any thread but i have a question about another handy tool idea of yours the tillering block you came up with do you have any how tos on making and using it
Please god let me live just more day in the woods.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
I can't agree it's the best scrapper, but prolly the handiest  :bigsmyl:  I like my Sandvik.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
I've used skizzers a time or 2 myself. I also use old planer blades. They work well too.
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Dano, I have a bunch of Sandvik scrapers, they do a great job, for hogging off wood the scissors have them beat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©