3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: doublebull blinds  (Read 976 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
doublebull blinds
« on: May 14, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Okay for you fella's that have used a DB AND another lesser blind like ya can get from Cabela's what is it that makes the DB worth double?

I've been thinkin about gettin one for turkey huntin since I've never gun hunted them I thought the DB may help I just have a hard time parting with the $$

PS I shoot a 64" LB and while I can shoot it sitting flat on my butt I prefer to cant it to only to around 1:00

Thanx
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: doublebull blinds
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Tom, the material the blind is made from is totally different. It is like tent canvas and the ease in set-up is incredible. i know some of the others are using the hub system now, but nothing i have tried which is quite a few can compare. If ya want buy the recurve model and you will be fine, ya could easily shoot out of the standard one though. If ya want Pm me your addy and when turkey is over this year i will send ya mine and the DVd on set-up and ya can keep it for a few months and than decide. Since I got you your bunny and all, ya mind as well take the blind too and try and kill a chuck from it over the summer!!(LOL!) Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Tom,
I have a ameristep penthouse, i just recently bought a Double Bull 360. There is no comparison between the two. The Double Bull is so much better that I'm sorry i wasted the money buying the other to begin with. I know some will say they are not worth the money, but if your serious about turkey or deer hunting they are. Just the fast setup time alone is worth it to me. I work all year and when i get time to hunt i want the best equipment i can afford and even the stuff i can't. My new blind  has given me more confidence to set up in the dark and closer to the birds than i ever have with a blind. I only hunted turkeys with a gun until this year, i feel that if i had the DB since day one of the season i would probably have taken a bird by now, given the fact that i hung back with my old blind instead of aggressively going after them like i do when i gun hunt, that type of tactic has earned me a lot of gobblers over the years. My advise would be if you want a DB get it even if you have to save longer for it. You will be farther ahead in the long run. With that said i will tell you that hunting with a blind is hard work at 20 pounds you need to be in shape to tote it all over the place, but it can be done.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
Swampbuck, i've hunted with Keith, Brooks and Tom Carroll from DB, it's the only blind you'll ever have to buy you can use it on other game to it's not only for Turkeys, ther customer service is first class just like the people of DB. I've hunted with Dave Kieser from Doulbe K guide service for the last three years and that's all he will use, they take over 70 birds a year out of DB blinds. Get the DB you won't be sorry,
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
Tom, pm me, I'll tell ya some good stuff about my personal blind, maybe save you some bucks.

Cary

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Spend the $$ bud...you won't regret it....take my word
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
I've used DB and others and don't think the DB is worth the extra money in any way. Give the groundmax escape deluxe a look in cabela's.
BD

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
Thanx guys and to keep this on hunting how do blinds in genral work for deer?Do ya need to brush them in?Thats what got me lookin at the leafy cut look in the Cabela's catalog.Thanx again

Offline throwit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
I have had horrible luck using blinds for deer.  I think I tried every trick and tip out there.  The deer just seem to always walk around the blind.  For me deer hunting on the ground should be done back against a tree and full camo.. down wind!!  I dont set up my blind ahead of time so I have only tried same day setups.  Also I dont own a duble bull!  Maybe if I spend the money??

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
I had T2 and T5 DD.  Good blinds.  I sold them both and now own the same style blinds from Cabelas at half the price and just as good.  For turkey tou can set up any where any time.  For deer BRUSH em in>
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Buy the DB.  Nothing compares to having a large enough blind to hunt out of yourself or take young hunters too.  My boys both killed their first turkeys at eight years old out of a DB blind.  One at 13 yards and the other at 8yds.

It is good money invested in young lives.  Takes the pressure off of them to be locked down all the time and gives them more enjoyment out of hunting at an early age.

My two cents...was spent on a DB.

Regards, Charles
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Tom,

I have an Ameristep Brickhouse and a DB Matrix....you want the Brickhouse???????? Then if you get Shawn's to try DB out you can answer your own question.......(Shawn's nicer than me, I ain't sending my DB out..... "[dntthnk]" )

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Tom - I have the brick house and an Eastman Magnum. The turkeys haven't been impressed with either this year and neither have I. I think the fabric is too "shiny" on clear days. I've had 4 toms pull up short this year and refuse to come in, and these are unpressured birds. If you take Shawn up on his offer let me know and we can set up all three together and compare. I'd like to see if the DB is that much better too.  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
bbassi-if the birds hung up I doubt very much it was becasue of the blind. The DB is not worth the extra money and yes I have used one on several occasions. If it is better than the others that I have successfully used for years, I sure couldn't tell.

BD
BD

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
Tom, I've used both the Ameristep Brickhouse and the Double Bull T5. There are some things that make a difference, and they are related to the stealth mode of things when hunting turkeys from a blind.

1. The material - nylon on the Ameri blind is very shiny, even on a cloudy day. Most times the turkeys make it out very easily, even when it is partially concealed amongst the trees. The DB canvas seems to be invisible to them, even out in the open.

2. The windows - the Ameri blind's are too big for my liking, and if they don't have the shoot-thru screen on them, turkeys notice it. To open/close the shooting ports, they must be zippered. With the nylon construction, it's rather noisy. The DB uses flaps on the shooting ports that connect with a hook onto an elastic loop at the top of the port, no zipping. Open and close at your disgression very quickly and silently.

3. The doorway - The zipper on the Ameri blind is very noisy, to the point where I don't even want to open/close it when located nearby roosting areas. I would rather leave one side of the blind unstaked and tip the blind up and crawl in. The DB zipper system on canvas is very quiet.

4. Visibilty - I've tried the Ameri blind out in the open.... no way, it doesn't fool them. Place the DB out in the open.... and they don't even flinch.

5. Rain - the Ameri blind sounds like a million little drummer boys beating down on the stretched-out nylon. The DB doesn't sound much different than rain hitting the foliage nearby. There is a huge difference in this.

6. Roominess - they both are about the same, and I think a 64" longbow can be used if canted. Gotta get familiar with the interior structure and know how to be situated and how to cant the bow in relation to the window you're shooting out of. I use a 58" recurve held vertically and no problems whatsoever.

7. Emphasis - the Ameri blind needs to have the shoot-thru screen attached to have complete confidence in concealment, even with the black interior. The nylon isn't as "black" as the DB's canvas because when daylight enters the blind, it has a sheen to it. The DB T5 does not have shoot-thru screen on the shooting ports, because it doesn't need it... seriously.

I've been in and out of both of these blinds in the last 5 days, and nearly every time I'm in the Ameri blind, the turkeys act suspicious. Never with the Double Bull. Just today I watched turkeys walk by the Ameri blind from my location in the DB... they acted spooked. I have complete confidence with the DB in full sunshine, but the Ameri blind must be in the shade to even feel part way confident.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
Dave that is about the best I've seen it said, and you are right on all counts.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Dave-

I think you're giving the turkeys way to much credit. I've put my blinds in the wide open (ameristep) and have never had a negative reaction-the birds walk right by it like it isn't even there.

BD
BCD

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
Here's my experiances for what it's worth.  I have an ameristep Penthouse, and I have had really good success with it on deer.  As with all camo, what's behind it is often more important then what's in front of it.  I do know that brushing it in helps, but I have been succesfull without doing so too.  I could see where the shine of the fabric would be a problem, but it hasn't been one for me in 4 years of use.  
After reading this I realize now that I haven't had much luck using the Ameristep on Turkey.  The best I have had was when I was using the shoot through screen, and that seems to coralate with what some of the others are saying.  So to sumerize, it has worked fantastic on deer, not so good on turkey.  
Derek
got arrows?

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
BD, obviously you and I have had different experiences. Apparently the Ameristep is good for you, but bad for me. But honestly, I don't give the turkeys more credit than what they've already earned.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©