3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stopped by Sarrels Archery Today  (Read 381 times)

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
Stopped by Sarrels Archery Today
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Went over to Bobs today to pick up the girlfriends bow. Bob put a leather grip on it.
Bob was super nice as usual.

Shot about six different bows while I was there. He has several new fantastic models. I shot the prototype of his new short recurve, the "Puma" and it is sweet. I didn't get any pictures though.

Here are a couple pictures of the girfriends "Sierra" It's a really great shooter.

That's true love isn't it?

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Stopped by Sarrels Archery Today
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Sweet looking longbow! Tell her congratulations.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Man I like the looks of them. remind me of my favorite bows. John McDonald Big River bows.

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Nice looking bow.  That ought to score you some brownie points.  Keep her interested in shooting and have fun.

:thumbsup:  

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
Bob's a TOP NOTCH individual, builds one of the most comfortable Bows I've ever owned, looks REAL nice too !!

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with one of Bob's bows. I have 7 or 8 of them. The Blueridge TD longbow is my favorite. I was at his house the other day and shot the new recurve too. It is sweet!!!! I told him I was going to hold out till he started making them a little longer as I prefer a 62" bow.

Bisch

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
You can't go wrong with one of Bob's bows. I have 7 or 8 of them. The Blueridge TD longbow is my favorite. I was at his house the other day and shot the new recurve too. It is sweet!!!! I told him I was going to hold out till he started making them a little longer as I prefer a 62" bow.

Bisch
I don't even shoot recurves and that one just felt like I had shot it forever. Sooo smooth and stable.

I'm always amazed when I go to visit him. You see all the forms and bowmaking stuff right there but bowmaking still seems impossible. Lol

Offline ShinBone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Hi everyone:

I have read everything you have to say in this thread about sarrel.  I am interestd in looking at a sarrel superstition.  Apparently it has 4 laminants.  The one I am looking at is 62" and pulls to 44# at 28inchs.  I draw to over 30, so I believe it should pull to about 49.9# or more at my overdrawn anchor.

I have a lot of recurves, but I don't have any longbows.  I don't want my first longbow to be a mistake.  I want a super nice longbow.

What do you guys think?  The person wants nearly $300 for this used superstition.

My question is: Do these launch arrows with a good amount of energy?  I am a recurve shooter and a little worried about switch to a longbow, esp. since I draw so light of bows.  Longbows usually have to be a bit heavier--I have been told.  So a little reticent (ie reluctant/apprehensive).  A little scared.

The one I want is the third one from the left:

I will be using it to hunt Bears.
thx!

I am ShinBone.  That is my Handle. Don't wear it out.  

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
That's a pretty bow.  I really like the riser on that bow.  The color looks very rich.  I'm certain she will like it.  

I have a Sierra longbow that's my favorite bow of all that I've shot.  It just shoots like a dream; it is so stable and vibration free that it's hard not to like it.

I really wish Bob would make me a 2-piece Sierra for traveling but he only does the 3-piece bows.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
I've only held my friends Sarrels, but he loves it, it is his go to bow. So as long as the one you found is in good condition I would think that $300 is a good deal, they are $600 new.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 05:08:00 AM »
For $300 your getting a good deal on that bow!  The Superstition is a great longbow and is ideal for the long-draw shooters.  Bob builds a few different bows with the same limb profile, but the Superstition has the longest working limbs of the bunch (very smooth with no shock).

I have have shot every single one of his longbow models and the Superstition is hands down my favorite.  I own a 62" Superstition rated at 43# @ 28" and it draw just under 48# at my 29.5" draw.  The bow doesn't stack and points extremely well, his longbows are designed to be shot at a higer brace height (7 3/4-8/14") and I've found them to be very forgiving.  

With regards to performance I don't think you'll be dissapointed with what this bow has to offer.  The R/D limb profile in conjunction with the bamboo limb cores make for a hard hitting bow that puts an arrow downrange with authority.

Like I said before, at $300 you're getting a lot of bow for your money, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on this one if I was in the market.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Ditto what agtex said! I too have shot every longbow model Bob builds. My favorite is the Blueridge takedown. I love my Superstition too. If you like that bow and it is not damaged in any way you can not go wrong for that price. $300 is right about half of what a new one costs!

Bisch

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Nice looking bows!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
BOB makes an outstanding bow.............
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©